November 2015 Moms

Flying and beach with 2 month old

Anyone flown delta with a newborn/baby? Any tips for flying in general? Also, any tips taking a 2 mo to the beach? I live in MI and it's obviously winter but we are going to FL next week. Any tips for being in the warmer weather/sun with baby aside from the obvious to keep out of the sun, can't use sunscreen or bug spray, etc? I'm a FTM and so far we're just at home or bundled up in the car seat for quick trips!

Re: Flying and beach with 2 month old

• I just took my 3 month old son home to Oregon from North Carolina (where I currently live) to meet his great-grandpa. It was just the two of us. My tips are check your bags, don't bother with the extra task of pulling around a bag. I chose to wear my son in my Moby wrap and carried on a diaper bag. I EBF so I didn't need to worry about formula or bottles. Know that you ARE allowed to bring water, formula, and bottles through security to feed your baby. Make sure to tell TSA you have liquids for baby and expect a little extra screening. Also, if wearing baby, you do not have to take baby out of the carrier for security! If you are taking a car seat, I would recommend buying a bag to protect it or it will get filthy. You can also check your car seat and stroller for free at the counter or the gate :) I was too nervous to feed my son during take off and landing as often recommended for their ears - it is bumpier than you think - the things you don't pay much attention to when it's just you! I brought a pacifier for my son, even though he doesn't really take them, he did chew on it and that was enough to do the trick. I brought puppy pads to put on the changing table in the lavatory so we didn't have to touch anything and changed him immediately before boarding and after so I didn't spent much time changing diapers on the plane (not fun, avoid if you can). In general, give yourself a little extra time, and best of luck to you! I survived the trip there and back on my own just fine, as a FTM the task can seem daunting for sure.
  • For the beach you should put sun screen on the baby. If your LO has sensation skin you may just want to put a little sunscreen on your LO before you go to the beach to make sure the brand you have does not bother their skin.
    And as you said keep them out of the sun. We havr a tent like thing we use.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • You should NOT put sunscreen on a 2 month old! Make sure you have lots of shade from either an unbrella or one of those baby igloos and keep LO in there. Sunscreen should not be applied to a baby until they are 6 months old.
  • Get a baby rash guard to protect their skin from the sun. And don't forget a hat!
  • Floridian here - unless Miami is way different then the rest of the state, it's probably slightly too windy and chilly for the beach. Warmer than MI obviously, but beach weather it is not... At least to me.

Seconding the rash guard though. Be ready to duck in and out of stores if it is hot and you're hoofing it. You can get one of those tiny portable fans once you're here if you think it's too hot for LO.
  • Unica1302+Unica1302+ member
    edited January 2016
    Another Floridian here (ft laud)- check the weather before you come but it shouldn't be hot or cold by the look of the past two weeks. Not sure where you are going exactly but south Florida and the keys are the warmest part of FL right now and we haven't passed 80 in at least 2 weeks. I'd advise to plan clothing as layers for fluctuating tempratures but nothing drastic. For example today was windy as all hell in the 60s but perfectly clear bright sunny skies. But yesterday it poured rain all day long and didnt crack lower 70s. Tomorrow is supoosed to be in the 40-50s all day (this is pretry rare). Any indoor place or restaurant has heaters on so be ready to unbundled as soon as you step inside. Even the outdoor restaurants have heaters now (we take our "cold" super seriously, lol). The beach might be great to visit but I doubt you'll linger due to wind and chill, water is too cold to swim (although the Canadian snowbirds are always in the water during this time). Sunscreen might not be necessary as long as you have shade, heat will only be an issue if you are outdoors forever and it happens to be near 80 and as you get into a car which may be hot. Also bugs aren't usually an issue due to the lower temps. Good luck!
  • You should NOT put sunscreen on a 2 month old! Make sure you have lots of shade from either an unbrella or one of those baby igloos and keep LO in there. Sunscreen should not be applied to a baby until they are 6 months old.

My pedi told me to use sunscreen if direct sun could not be avoided. I just Googled it, the AAP does recommend sunscreen under 6 months if in direct sun. Some other organizations do say to wait until after 6 months.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • My pedi told me not to use sunscreen. I guess it's mother's discretion.