July 2015 Moms

Side preference

Ladies, do any of your LO's have a side preference when they are rolling? Mine will NOT roll to the right. If she's rolling back to front or front to back, she goes to the left. She was in PT for a sleeping side preference where she faced the right constantly. She still does that a lot but it's much better. But, rolling is the exact opposite. If I try to make her turn to the right, her body goes super stiff and she cries. She does not want to roll that way!

Any ideas on how I can help her? She goes back to her PT in a couple of weeks for a follow up, so I'll definitely talk to her dr. But, I'd like ideas before then. TIA!!!

Re: Side preference

• Our daughter prefers her left for some reason. She is 7 months and is not yet rolling on her own, but her right side is not her preference. We just do additional therapy on her right side. Our PT and OT said that sometimes babies prefer a side and then as they get stronger they start to learn the other sides. I would ask your pediatrician or your PT :)
  • My DS preferred sleeping with his head facing the right, but now he sleeps on his left side & really only rolls to his left too. Do you have any exercises you can share that I can try? I don't know if there is a problem but exercise can't hurt.
  • Loading the player...
  • Ya :) so with the rolling to one side, you can do rolling exercises with him rolling to the left. So when he is on his stomach, you manually rotate him to his left. We also try to motivate her by putting all her things to the problem side. So you can try that. Putting his toys on the left so he reaches for them and you can help him turn. You can also do rotating exercises where you lay him on his back and rotate his legs out. If that makes sense haha it is like a butterfly position and you just keep doing that and it is like a massage. You can also rub the hips and when he is on his stomach have your fingers on his hips and move or rock him side to side. I'll try and upload pictures for you :)