Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

NBR: XP Stress relieving / reducing strategies

edited February 2016 in Trying to Get Pregnant
Update: Thanks again for the tips. I did try a few of them:) The family drama has pretty much settled down. 

Hello everyone,

For the past couple days things have been a bit more stressful than usual due to some recent and unexpected family drama and my go-to strategies for reducing stress aren't working as well as I would like. I usually will drink tea and read a good book or take a nice long bubble bath or watch a couple episodes of Charmed (or whatever else I see on Netflix) while drinking tea or hot chocolate.

Any tips / suggestions for what you do that seems to work would be appreciated.

Sorry if this isn't the best spot for this post. I didn't know where else I could have posted other than chit chat - which doesn't appear to get a lot of action in terms of responses / replies.
Me:28 | DH: 28
Married: 07-2014
TTC #1: Since November 2015
Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
     due to previous issues.
***TW***
BFP: 11/4/2016
*TW*
 BabyFruit Ticker

Re: NBR: XP Stress relieving / reducing strategies

• Options
    I'm a stress - cleaner. I tend to dive into organizational projects and deep clean my house when I'm stressed.

I also like to read. When I'm reading I'm not *here* so, it is like an escape.

For bigger stresses I like massages, pedicures, Acupuncture, etc.

I'm sorry to hear about the family drama. Sometimes if something really big is going on the only thing that works for me is time :neutral:

I hope things look up for you soon.
  • Options
    Thanks @iceandsnowflakes29 for telling me what you do. I never thought of cleaning as a way of reducing stress. Maybe I will try that in the morning. I have a guest room / office that could use some TLC.

I know time will definitely help with the drama. Hopefully it won't be too long though until all this goes away.
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    What @Lulucooks said.  I don't know how I forgot about the rum.
  • Options
    @Itsnotyourturn - That sounds like a good idea. I think I will try that.
    @Lulucooks - lol I am not a rum person but maybe some wine or vodka.
    @AmMcc12 - Interesting idea
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Thanks @PrimRoseMama

due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I always like a good, rigorous yoga class.  And I definitely second cleaning the house.  Having a nice clean house makes me sleep better at night, I swear to baby Jesus.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

My therapist taught me this technique when I feel like I'm losing it with my family.

Lay down.  Shut your eyes.  Tense your entire body head to toe as hard as you can. Slowly, starting with your toes relax each body part slowly and imagine just letting the stress melt away from your body.  Breathe slow and deep, open your eyes and repeat as needed.

Also epsome salt baths.  They are the shit.

This!!! My therapist recommends this as well and I love it!! I also second the coloring books and yoga classes.

Also.... Knitting keeps my hands and mind busy. I started knitting BC my friend said it was a great stress reliever and taught me how. I also go for runs. This makes me feel Kore powerful and in control than I really am.

When I got SUPER stressed from a recent medical crisis, my sleep patterns got way wacky ... And a weeknd of camping fixed me right up. Something so therapeutic about a being outdoors. Hiking. Swaying in a hammock in the woods. I love long backpacking trips and that usually helps me a lot but BC of my health I wasn't up for it and a small camp trio was just eniugh. It doesn't have to be anywhere exotic. Just a local state park is perfect!

When all else fails o get uber involved in a dance moms binge or start obsessively playing Sudoku or solitaire ;)

Good luck!

Eta.... Lush makes bath bombs that are amazing.... That plus wine and good book.....

Married May 2014
    TTC Nov 2014-Aug 2016
    Aug 2015 Dx: Thyroid Cancer and Hashimotos
    Total Thyroidectomy October 2015 
    Ovarian Cystectomy Nov 2015
    CANCER FREE and resumed TTC Dec 2015.

• Options
    Yoga is so, so helpful to me too. It's a great workout that also leaves my mind calmer.
  • Options
    Adult coloring books - I find them to be surprisingly meditative and calming

I usually use working out as my stress reliever, however I know that doesn't really work for some people. Along the same lines though, you could try hot yoga? I have had yoga classes help me through some pretty trying times, it's just a great way to escape your thoughts and just breathe. 

I also agree with PPs above about cleaning -- I find deep cleaning/organizing/decluttering to be extremely calming as well! 

I'm sorry you're going through some rough times, hopefully you can find a couple of things that work for you. Have you considered speaking to a therapist? 
  • Options
    Previous posters have already said a lot of my favorite ways to relax.  Lately I've really been digging the adult coloring books (I have the Secret Garden one and it's amazing!), yoga, cleaning, home projects, massages, essential oils (especially lavender), exercising.  I love your ideas for the way you usually relax!  Charmed is totally a guilty pleasure of mine.

Meditation is also something I find extremely helpful, and sometimes meditating first will get you to a place that this other stuff will work.  My go-to meditation app is called Stop, Breathe & Think, it's awesome!  Also the tensing/relaxation exercise PPs mentioned is called Progressive Muscle Relaxation, you can find some good videos on youtube to walk you through it.  I've definitely been using all of these things to stay relaxed during this TWW!

I agree with @ SLou24, I think talking to a therapist would go a long way.  Especially since it's family stuff, it could be helpful to vent and get a neutral party's perspective.  
    Me (28) & DH (29)
    Married: May 2015
    BFP 1/24/16 EDD 10/4/16
    It's a boy!

• Options
    Exercise (exercise endorphins are amazeballs!), adult coloring books, acupuncture (I've been calm as a Hindu cow this week after my first session) and wine. All the wine.

LFAF April Siggy: TV/Movie BFFs

BFP #1 12/2012, DS born 8/2013
    BFP #2 7/2015, MMC and D&C 9/2015
    BFP #3 11/2015, CP
    BFP #4 1/2016, DD born 10/2016

• Options
    I am also a fan of hot baths and adult coloring. I also love getting a massage, facial, or Pedi when I have extra cash. | have found exercise to be super helpful when I actually do it. For family drama, therapy is really helpful. Good luck OP. I hope you cell better soon. :)

Me: 33     H: 36

Married: 12/14/13   DS: 1/29/09

BFP2: 10/9/15  MMC: 11/12/15

BFP3: 4/6/16   DD: 12/12/16

• Options
    For the really big stressors in life, I like to travel. Even if it's a short weekend or night away, seeing something beautiful out the window always helps me.
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    Sorry about the family drama!!  That's hard.

I love all the references to adult coloring books!  My husband gave me one of those for Christmas (a Frozen-themed one) and even though I am not even a little bit artsy, I love it!

Making a list in my journal about my stressors helps me a lot. That way I can sort through the things that are bothering me and prioritize dealing with them or decide they're not as important as they are in my head.

I hope things get easier for you soon!
  • Options
    Agree with PPs, adult coloring books and exercise. And wine, of course. I just started doing weights and it takes so much focus to do the reps that I can't think of anything else. Sorry about the family drama, that's never fun.
    DD born PPROM preemie at 36 weeks on 10/1/17 after over a year TI, 
    then 3 failed IUIs, and finally a successful IVF FET.

Due with #2 5/2/19 after HIO once in my FW,
    because apparently that's how life works now. Team Blue!
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Family drama is the worst. Sorry you are dealing with that! For me I find just having some me time is a great stress reliever. Whether that be taking a hot shower and having a glass of wine or crawling into bed and watching netflix. 

Hope you find some relief! 

Me: 28 DH: 29
    Married: August 2014
    TTC #1 Since March 2015
    Diagnosed with PCOS March 2016
    SA results normal April 2016
    3 rounds clomid + trigger + TI = BFN
    3 rounds clomid + trigger + IUI = BFN
    Uterine polyp removed July 2017
    Round 1 IVF January 2018

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the tips. I think I am going to look into the adult coloring book for sure as well as some of the other ideas mentioned.

@Knottie1453423947 - I love Charmed as well as other shows like Gilmore Girls, Pretty Little Liars and The Fosters. I have an obsession with those types of shows lol.

due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker