July 2016 Moms
Options

Exercise- from nothing to something?

1. I will definitely bring this up to my OB. However, my next appointment is still 2 weeks away.
2. Has anyone STARTED exercising since becoming pregnant? I currently don't exercise at all (horrible, I know), other than chasing my toddler around in the evenings and on the weekend. I was in much better shape during her pregnancy. I think that sincerely helped me have a successful delivery. So, I'd like to start doing some exercises to prepare again (and hopefully continue once healed after delivery). How concerned do you really think I need to be before doing free weight type stuff at home? I'm considering a gym membership. Even if I go that route, I won't be dead-lifting or anything... but maybe use the machines with lighter weights than I'm used to.

Re: Exercise- from nothing to something?

• Options
    I don't know much about lifting weights, but personally I would start out way lighter than you think you can handle and go from there. Listen to your body, it'll let you know if something is too much
  • Options
    I would definitely call and see if you could at least talk to a nurse practitioner or someone first.

But - I believe as long as you REALLY pace yourself at first you should be okay.  And make sure to really listen to your body.  You're probably going to be more tired, and need more recovery time between workouts.  I would also make sure you focus on water consumption too.  I don't think they would say "no" per se, but definitely warn you to be very careful starting out.  
    Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I went from being able to run marathons to feeling like I could barely walk 5 miles in a matter of months thanks to pregnancy, so I've been slowly increasing the amount/type of exercise I get myself into as I get into my second trimester. Definitely talk to your OB, but swimming might be a good low impact option. Really good for your overall health and incredible for your body as it grows. My midwife tells me to do more swimming every time I see her. 

• Options
    I was not working out before getting pregnant. When I found out I was pregnant I started just walking on the treadmill. Now I am on this elliptical type machine and I'm just working on shaping my legs and butt. I also do squats at home and curls with my little weights. I am not pushing myself and I listen to my body. I do the elliptical type machine three days a week, the days I am at work, for 50-60 minutes. 
    Married: August 2012
    TTC #1: July 2015
    BFP 1: October 30, 2015; EDD: July 6, 2016- Team Pink
    TTC #2: September 2019

• Options
    Talk to your OB. If you want, start out really slow. Some OBs (like mine) don't think it's a great idea to start exercising after you get pregnant if you didn't exercise before because there is a higher risk of injury if your body is not conditioned to working out. Walking and swimming are great workouts that are virtually stress free on the body.
  • Options
    I've definitely upped my workouts and have found I get overheated more quickly so I have to have lots of water on hand but it's been okay as far as lifting im only going to like 15/20 lbs for lifting motions and just higher number reps but still keep leg weight the same
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Options
    I had been exercising beforehand but I was worried about exercising whilst pregnant. I found a prenatal personal trainer, who is really knowledgeable about what can/should be done in each trimester. I also started pilates, and the instructor is really good and tells me when to not do an exercise.

I can tell when I need to stop. You want to avoid getting hot and bothered and if it's hard to breath you stop as well. It's just about knowing your bodies limits.

Little boy due July 31st 2016

• Options
    When I asked one of the OB's in my office about exercising during my first pregnancy she said "Must be nice to have time to SoulCycle. Won't happen once you have this kid."
    I took that as a green light. And that she was a stressed working mom.
  • Options
    I do the bike, and still rock the leg press. I refuse to give up the leg press. 

Me: 30, DH: 31

Married: May 16th 2015

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yes to the leg press

• Options
    Obviously talk to your doc but I think if you feel good, you should be fine to exercise. Start slow, doing boydweight exercises, and then add light weights and always check in with yourself when you're working out to make sure everything still feels normal.

I'm a personal trainer and just had a new girl start with me who is 18 weeks. She hasn't been doing anything this whole time but her pregnancy thus far has been great and her doctor gave her clearance to exercise. We've done only boydweight and used the TRX so far, mostly because after her first sessions she was so sore and the thought of lifting anything practically made her cry! So in addition to taking it slow to start, make sure to stretch!
  • Options
    Girl get thee booty walking! Gotta start somewhere :) Ask your doc about more involved plans but upping your daily milage/ general activity should be fine no matter who you are. Light hand weights and walking/ swimming/ leg raises or stretching during commercials... Every little bit adds up and by the time you talk to your doctor you'll have a little something to mention expanding on.
  • Options
    I wasn't working out pre-baby, but now that I am starting to feel better, I am going to start. I had already asked my doctor about it and she said that since I didn't work out previously, to start out light. Like walking three times a week on the treadmill, and then working my way up to more days a week and longer walks (or whatever the activities is that I want to do). She said just to listen to my body and if I am feeling like something isn't right, then take a break for a bit. She said as long as I work my way up and don't go all nuts at the beginning (like bust out Insanity and start going nuts), I should be fine. And to drink lots of water.

My friend has been doing Beachbody programs her whole pregnancy, but she was doing it before she got pregnant......like a whole year before she got pregnant. So for her, the doctor said nothing about her workouts except the usual....drink lots of water, don't lay on back after X amount of weeks, rest your body if it is showing signs you need to rest. She is 38 weeks and is still doing jump squats/lunges, and all kinds of other crazy stuff.....and you can still see her obliques. Its intense! But it is what her body is use to, so she just modifies a few things here and there that she knows she shouldn't do while pregnant, and does the rest. 

This is the sort of advice that completely burns my ass because I feel like it's just based on archaic notions that pregnant women are weak and fragile. I really just can't imagine any doctor in his right mind saying no, you can't start exercising at all because you're pregnant and didn't exercise beforehand...if they do- I'd ask for specific reasons why and then get another opinion.

I see no reason why you can't start walking on a treadmill, lifting weights (starting with 2lbs and working up) or trying out a low impact Pilates class. Anyone's risk of injury would be higher whether their pregnant or not when starting out a new program. If you do join a gym maybe see if they offer a trainer that can go around and explain how to use the machines properly. Also, you can check out pinterest and maybe print off a few workouts and take them to your doctor to show him/her what you had in mind.

I've read plenty of things as well that say the old advice about not getting your heartbeat above 140 is nonsense too and it's more based on your perceived rate of exertion... in other words... if you're gasping for air and feel lightheaded or can't speak- take it down a notch, but otherwise you should be good.

I love it! I highly agree with this. I mean don't go into the gym planning on even running a mile the first day, but start somewhere. My first pregnancy my doc didn't want me lifting over 20 pounds, but she has seemed to back off of those restrictions this time around With me. I mean, I am not planning on crossfitting While pregnant and I do a lot of beachbody workouts. She would not be happy if I was doing cross fit (no judgement from me to cross fit mommas)
  • Options
    You absolutely can start exercising! Just take it slow in the beginning to see what your body can handle! Drink plenty of water and if you feel sob or dizzy slow it down!
  • Options
    thanks everyone! I'm a former exerciser... it's just been a while. I know how to lift weights properly (lol) and I trust that I won't injure myself. I'm not much of a runner, so any cardio would definitely be low intensity. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one interested in beginning to work out at this point. I'll still keep things light before talking to OB. :)
  • Options
    @quartz02 I'm also a former excerciser, loved yoga, pilates, barre classes and spinning! I was put on pelvic rest for ds for 25 weeks of my pregnancy and then got pregnant again when ds was only 3.5 months! I feel so out of it now! I got on the tread climber the other day and could only go really slow for about 6 mins wo starting to get short of breath! Oh well at least it's a start!
  • Options
    Walking is a good place to start. If you use a treadmill, try walking at an incline. The elliptical is also good. You would just have to go at a slow pace like 40 to 44. Just sharing what I'm doing. I also exercised consistently pre pregnancy and loved my cardio. Now I'm easing up on the cardio and incorporating more weights than before...light weights =). Hope this helps.
  • Options
    foxa319foxa319 member
    edited January 2016
  • Options
    I'm really interested in these responses. Last year I was running a lot and then kind of stopped and I've been gaining so much weight. I know a lot of it is necessary but some of it is because I'm not as active as I used to be. My doctor told me it's ok to exercise as long as I take it easy and keep my heart rate below 140 for the most part. I've heard mixed reports on whether the "140 rule" is even a valid guideline anymore...it seems rather outdated. But I think it's a good window to shoot for in the beginning. When I was running, even in my best shape, my HR was in the 170s, but obviously I won't be doing any half marathons soon!
    Me (32) & DH (35)
    Married 10.10.10
    DD born 7.25.16 <3
  • Options
    @sboston06
    At my last appt, my doctor said the heart rate tihng is no longer true and it is fine as long as you feel comfortable. 

For myself, I have been doing maternity workouts to help me strengthen my legs to help me with pushing later on. I am sure the STMs here can correct me but I have read that it is mainly the legs and ab muscles that will be working. The stronger they are, the easier it would be for you to push when the time comes!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @chanfa legs are my main concern! With DD1's pregnancy, I was commuting from Long Island to NYC and took the giant set of stairs out of Penn Station every day. I loved feeling triumphant and strong (and smoking the lazy people on the escalator!). Now I live in the suburbs in FL (completely flat) and don't get up much throughout the day with my desk job. I'm going to make a conscious effort to get out and walk for at least a 1/2 hour at lunch.

Also, I have one really strong "mom arm" but my left is puny. I want to correct that! I've been in a funk the last couple years and I've been evaluating what truly makes me happy. Exercise, and being proud of what my body is capable of, was one of those joys that I don't tap into anymore. I want to feel that again, make sure my body is ready for labor/delivery, and be a better example for DD and kiddo #2.
  • Options
    @quartz02
    Tons of squats, lunges, and planks!!!

I use the beachbody maternity workouts and it's pretty tough for me even though I did work out prior to getting pregnant. You do need a membership though but I am sure there are plenty of similar stuff online! Good luck and exercising always makes people feel better! You will definitely feel great about yourself again after getting a great workout in. Go get it!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Can we post here in lieu of a weekly check in because I'm a crappy person and forgot to do one?! I haven't worked out this week I feel so bad ! I did workout on Monday and Sunday though. With being sick and it being so cold I've been ive been in hibernation mode

• Options
    I need to get moving - I wasn't the most active before getting KU so I'm not a good example. I've been trying to walk as much as I can. I'm hoping this gets easier once the weather shapes up.

Last pregnancy I did yoga and it helped so much with back pain. I'd like to do it again but I'm exhausted and now have a toddler in tow. I definitely think it's better to be moving than not, as long as you don't go too hard right away.
    July '16 May Siggy Challenge 

BabyFetus Ticker
    Me: 29
    DH: 32
    Married: June 2011
    DD #1: December 2013
    DD #2: EDD July 2016
  • Options
    sboston06 said:
    I'm really interested in these responses. Last year I was running a lot and then kind of stopped and I've been gaining so much weight. I know a lot of it is necessary but some of it is because I'm not as active as I used to be. My doctor told me it's ok to exercise as long as I take it easy and keep my heart rate below 140 for the most part. I've heard mixed reports on whether the "140 rule" is even a valid guideline anymore...it seems rather outdated. But I think it's a good window to shoot for in the beginning. When I was running, even in my best shape, my HR was in the 170s, but obviously I won't be doing any half marathons soon!
    I also read that the 140-rule has been debunked. Doctors recommend you use the "talk test" to know if you're at a healthy heart rate while exercising. You should be slightly breathless but still able to carry on a conversation. Beyond that, you might be over-exerting yourself.
  • Options
    My doctor also said you just need to be able to talk. She also recommended squats and prenatal yoga or Pilates to help with hip pain, which in combination with my snoogle is really making a difference for me. I just need to be more consistent. I am making sure to take a walk every day, even when it's cold as balls outside