3rd Trimester
Options

Best time for babymoon?

My hubby and I didn't do a baby moon with our first because I was on bed rest - I'm determined to get a 1 night stay in Santa Barbara in but am wondering if 30-31wks is a bit too late? I want to be comfortable for the 2hr drive and be able to walk the beach. When is the ideal time?

... would love to do it a bit sooner but the weather in SB won't be great until closer to my 30wk mark (i'm 16wks now).

Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Best time for babymoon?

• Options
    You're probably ok at 30 weeks. I did a six hour car trip with my husband at 29 weeks and it was fine. We did take a lot of rest stops and I brought a pillow to put under my feet in the car to help prevent swelling. I think two hours will be just fine. I did start having some aches and pains around that time, but walking was still pretty good. Just make sure not to push yourself too hard and enjoy yourself.
  • Options
    LUrking from 2nd tri

DH and I are thinking about taking the train up and down the coast. I'm also in CA (San Diego) but neither one of us care for dealing with LA traffic hah. We'd rather deal with uber or a taxi.

The weather has been fairly decent though, as I have friends in SB who spent the holiday weekend camping on the beach.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We went away at 25 weeks and although I was tired and winded easily it was a good time for us to go. My pregnancy turned into a high risk pregnancy at 32 weeks, so I personally am glad we went earlier rather than later.
  • Options
    I went out of the country for a week at 29/30 weeks to a tropical destination and was totally fine.  I had/have not had any complications in my pregnancy, though.  I would say you and your doctor know best, and every person is different.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We were planning to go right about now (almost 30 weeks) but have decided not to. I am healthy, but measuring a full 2 weeks ahead so I am just so uncomfortable basically all the time.

I wish we had gone somewhere around 25.
  • Options
    With my first we went to Cancun for a honeymoon/babymoon combo (don't have a long engagement, otherwise you could be 25 weeks at your wedding!) at 26 weeks. It was great, I got permission from my doctor and her advice was don't eat street food and drink bottled water and enjoy the relaxation.

I'm 30 weeks now and I'm sure you'd probably be fine for a 2 hour drive. I've been sitting in 3/4 hour meetings. I get tired between 8 and 9 so you might not be able to have some wild late nights ; )
  • Options
    I'd go earlier if I were you. I'm 32 weeks and have a rough time with sciatica pain. You just can't predict how you're going to feel later down the road, so I'd schedule it while you still feel well.
  • Options
    We went on our planned babymoon to the coast at 24 weeks. But then we ended up going on another trip at 32 weeks cus we needed the getaway.
  • Options
    egraves4egraves4 member
    edited January 2016
    I think you'll be absolutely fine!  This pregnancy, I went 6 hours away at 33.5-34 weeks and I did just fine.  Granted, I think it just depends on how your feeling, but I felt fine.  We did a good amount of walking and I handled it, and I even got on a bike to bike into town a few times!  As far as the car ride, we stopped maybe every 2 hours?  Which it doesn't seem like your destination is very far at all so you should be good!  

ETA: Didn't notice at first that you said you were going to the beach.  That's what we did too and I was fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Surprise BFP! 06/08/15
    Nadine GraceMarie  02/10/16
    Diagnosed with placenta increta post delivery: emergency partial hysterectomy - cervix and ovaries still intact 
    Gestational surrogacy or adoption TBD

• Options
    Im 32 weeks and could easily go on holiday. Some women have it a bit rougher though, so i would be careful how late you leave it as some aches and pains can start happening quite suddenly. I do find i run out of energy in the afternoons, so make sure you make room for naps!
  • Options
    JMarie1291JMarie1291 member
    edited January 2016
    We have a cabin 2-3 hours away. We go at least every other weekend or every till i hit 32 weeks. We have a big luxurious truck we'll take so I have plenty of room to get comfy. I got terrible pains in back and legs I'd make him stop every 25 mins about. It was fun and relaxing till I'd say 28 weeks it started getting to be a pain in the butt for me. I recommend going before you hit 30 weeks everything just isn't fun anymore once you hit 3rd tri. You start feeling huge and my morning sickness came back. But that's just me everyone is different. Im 37 weeks and taking the trip up there this weekend one last time... Im dreading it so bad! But we want to use the winter toys and go on the ice one last time! (there is a hospital 20 mins from our cabin that is in network for my insurance or there be no way we go)