January 2016 Moms
Options

Question for STMs- breastfeeding

Questions for second time mothers, my baby is 4 days old. Before my milk came in she would 20-30 mins every two hours, but now that milk is in she only nurses for 10 mins every 2 hours. At her first Drs appointment was told she needs to gain weight since she has almost a pound since birth. Really concerned she isn't eating enough but after 10mins I can't get her to nurse more. Am I being paranoid? Calling lactation tomorrow.

Re: Question for STMs- breastfeeding

• Options
    It could be that she's just becoming more efficient and is getting a lot more now that your milk is in, but the only way you can really tell is by making sure there are plenty of wet and poopy diapers and/or weight checks.
  • Options
    Are you nursing for only 10 minutes on both sides? Make sure that baby is emptying one boob before moving to the other so that they get enough fatty hind milk. Otherwise the amount of time isn't an issue.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have tried moving to other boob but she doesn't want it. She does fall asleep but when I wake her up she won't latch. Seems to have plenty on wet/poop diapers.
  • Options
    Apthor02 said:

I have tried moving to other boob but she doesn't want it. She does fall asleep but when I wake her up she won't latch. Seems to have plenty on wet/poop diapers.

She is probably full then, and I wouldn't worry too much about it. The only way to really know is to take her back to the doctor to do a weight check. My ped was concerned with my daughters weight loss after hospital discharge also. She had us come back to make sure she was gaining. She did gain 4 oz in 2 days so the doctor was happy, but told us we could do a courtesy weight check appointment at any time with just a nurse if we were concerned.
  • Options
    Have you done weighted feeds or checked baby's weight since birth? I mean all babies lose some weight post birth and yes they need to gain it back :) id go in for a weight check and a weighted feed to see how much she is taking in those 10 minutes.
  • Options
    My DS only feeds for 10-15 minutes on one boob per feeding now at 2 weeks old. He has gained a half pound in a week. He has plenty of wet/poopy diapers. I think some babies just get more efficient at feeding, plus my milk supply seems to have regulated quickly. We had his 2 week appointment yesterday and as long as his weight keeps going up the pediatrician is not concerned at all. If you are worried definitely do weight checks every few days. Good luck!