May 2016 Moms

How to thank shower hosts?

I'm feeling very lucky that I have a caring and thoughtful group of people organizing a shower for me. I don't know the details, though the bit of info I'm getting leads me to think that a lot of energy and love is going into this, which I'm very grateful for. I'd like to find a way to say thanks that conveys my gratitude. I was definitely going to write a card to each person, and I'm thinking it would be nice to do something more. I do feel limited with finances, so unsure about what kind of material things could work. I was also considering making a thank you meal, though coordinating schedules may be hard. Plus, I'm not sure how much I'll be yay cooking when I'm almost 9 months pregnant. Has anyone given/received anything they've appreciated, or had any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Re: How to thank shower hosts?

• I would also like to think of something and am on a limited budget (a card for sure). I think the old saying: 'It's the thought that counts' is correct. I might get something cute at JoAnn's or Hobby Lobby - they're always having sales. A decoration, candle, etc - those are things I rarely let myself buy but want. I might even buy some flowers at Trader Joe's (or a plant).
  • I was thinking of giving flowers and a card to my shower hosts... nothing too extravagant but a note of gratitude and a bouquet seems appropriate to me.
  • Loading the player...
  • One time I received a very nice succulent plant with a hand made card and I loved it. I felt like they actually took time to make me something or choose a gift they thought I would like rather than spending a ton of money on a random thing.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Ok, I think I'm in the minority...I didn't give any gifts to my Mom and MIL for hosting my shower. I thanked them a million times though. Does that count?!
  • I know it can be nice to give gifts as thank you, but sometimes I'm kind of against giving gifts to thank people for doing things for them, because then when does it end?? I try for over-the-top sentimental, thoughtful thank you notes. Just tell them how insanely thankful you are, sometimes that works better than just giving them stuff. I love getting notes like that, too.
  • My mom and aunt are throwing my shower. I'll definitely give them cards. Was also thinking of taking them out to lunch, especially since I'll be coming from out of town (I haven't even seen my aunt in a few years). I'm not a fan of giving knick-knacks and stuff like that, but maybe that's just me.
  • Always with a hand-written thank you card! I like to give a nice potted plant or the host's favorite chocolate, too. 
  • I'm glad you all are saying a card is enough because my shower has 4 hosts. That would've been expensive to buy gifts for everyone. I'd much rather go the card and handwritten note route
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD: 05/14/16
    Baby #2 EDD: 12/23/19
  • It is kind of reassuring that thank you notes are valued. I have been also doing lots of verbal thank yous, and would probably just go into more detail in a card. Also, I don't think you can go wrong with chocolate. :)
  • I also give flowers, but I have them delivered to the hosts work/home. It makes it seem more special for some reason. I also send thank you cards.
  • I make my own cards so I plan on doing a very nice card at least but didn't even think of a gift :(
  • I gave both my hosts a gift card to get a pedicure because I know it's something they enjoy doing. I don't think gifts are required but definitely a hand written thank you note!
  • Pinterest is my safe haven. My best friend is the one throwing my party.
  • I made a donation to a charity my host (my SIL) is really passionate about for my baby shower. Bridal shower I did flowers and a card. It's the thought that counts, not something crazy expensive, in my opinion.
  • I gave a thank you note and champagne to the hostesses - Someone gave me a groupon for a pedicure after I threw her baby shower, SO thoughtful because my feet were killing after running around all day. 
    Me: 32 DH: 35
    Married 12/7/07
    DD: Born 1/2/14 
    Baby #2 EDD 5/6/16

• Question about work showers - 
    I got all my thank you notes out from our family/friend shower. My department had shower for me today at work. How do I write thank you's for a group gift? I know my coworker planed it so I will write her a note. Do I write one to all 50 people in the department I'm not sure who chipped in?  Send an email to all? Leave a card in the break room (not all would see this) What's the best way to acknowledge our appreciation to everyone?
  • My mom is hosting my shower. As a thank-you gift, I'm giving her a mug that says "The Best Moms get Promoted to Grandma," some loose-leaf tea, a cute tea steeper, and some chocolate-covered pretzels. (My mom and I have gone for tea a couple of times for special occasions, so it's meaningful; also, I've not yet given her anything grandma-themed!)
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• Lusitano8 said:
    Question about work showers - 
    I got all my thank you notes out from our family/friend shower. My department had shower for me today at work. How do I write thank you's for a group gift? I know my coworker planed it so I will write her a note. Do I write one to all 50 people in the department I'm not sure who chipped in?  Send an email to all? Leave a card in the break room (not all would see this) What's the best way to acknowledge our appreciation to everyone?

My DH is a teacher and his co-workers threw us a shower. They all said not to write individual cards but to just put a thank you note somewhere in a common area. So that's what we did. We also got a gift card from about 18 different people who chipped in. Hopefully that works!
  • Lusitano8 said:
    I plan on buying one card and some donuts, bagels, or something and putting it in the common area and sending out an email to let everyone know it's there. I haven't had my work shower yet, but I know they're planning on doing a group gift and I know everyone loves food... So it works I guess.
  • I have two hostesses at my personal one and two at my work one. I think I'll get them a nail file and attach a gift card for a mani/pedi saying "treat yourself" and of course I'll write something. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Since my shower hosts were my MIL and Mom, i got them both little grandma inspired gifts from etsy. You cannot go wrong with Etsy, they have so many sweet things to surprise people with. I love home made gifts.
  • Lusitano8 said:
    I made cupcakes for everyone. Nothing says thank you like carbs and sugar. 
  • Lusitano8 said:
    I'm planning to send an email and I like the idea of treats. In true Canadian style I'll buy a big box of donut holes. They always go down a treat!! Now I want donuts....
  • my two best friend threw my shower so I got them both the friendship alex and ani bracelet :) 
  • For the family shower the hostess are my mom and MIL. I bought each of them their own diaper bag for when LO stays with them. They will split time watching her when I go back to work so it will be nice for them to have their own and i don't have to worry about forgetting my diaper bag. 
  • My husband's coworkers are throwing us a shower next week ... I'm planning on making cupcakes and writing THANK YOU! in frosting across the cupcakes, taking a picture and sending a "Thank You" email that thanks the group as well as lets them know the cupcakes are there :) Well - I will probably take the picture and make my husband send the email since they are his coworkers! (We work at the same company, but in different locations).

I will do that no matter what, but after the shower if it turns out a lot of people did individual gifts or we know everyone who contributed then I will write thank you cards, too!! 
  • For my showers I got every host some body wash from Victoria's Secret (when it was on sale) and dollar store bath squishes/sponges with a note that said "I hope your next shower is as fantastic as this one". I also gave one male host an umbrella with a note about staying dry during the next shower.
    I think it's really important to thank the shower hosts because of all of the work and money that goes into throwing a shower. Something beyond a thank you note, which is a given, but doesn't break the bank. I received some really nice gifts for hosting a shower (Coach wristlet was one that I loved, another was a Coach card holder), and sometimes nothing at all. It's a nice way for the Bride/Mother to be to acknowledge all of the effort, work and money that went into the shower.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker