Pregnant after 35
Options

Anything I Can Do Now to Relieve This Awful Depressive Mood?

This is a follow up to my previous post. I am very depressed, anxious, and stressed. I'm worried about what it's doing to the baby. I have a history of depression and anxiety. I called my OB today and he Ok'd 20mg of Prozac daily with a follow up appointment on Tuesday. How long is it going to take for the Prozac to kick in? Here's my symptoms and I don't know what to do to alleviate them:(
Depression, anxiety, stress from work and home life, the trauma from the loss of my husband last year and being unexpectedly pregnant in a newer relationship, sleeping all the time, not caring, don't want to do anything, can't function at work, feel no emotions towards the baby, nightmares, night sweats, and all this stress causes some cramping and high blood pressure. I just feel so hopeless!

Re: Anything I Can Do Now to Relieve This Awful Depressive Mood?

• Options
    I am so sorry to hear this. It sounds like you've had a challenging year. I don't know anything about Prozac, but wonder if you have a counseler that you see. If not now might be time to start. Although this may be hard to initiate when feeling pregnant and low the research realy supports exercise:s efficacy as a treatment for depression. Could you ask a friend or family member to join you on even a mail walking program a couple times per week. The regular company may help too. Journaling or colouring might also be nice outlets. Send hugs and wishes for this low mood to lift soon.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    If you do look for a counselor, I'd recommend finding one who specializes in Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy which is designed to take place over a shorter time and give you some concrete strategies for coping.  Some of your symptoms also have a lot in common with a PTSD response so you might also consider talking to someone about that angle.

I find having someone to check in with weekly where I can be honest is helpful and can help me track my moods and if/when I should be concerned.  I would recommend this NOT be your partner as it's hard for anyone that close to be objective.  I'd suggest someone who has known you over a long period of time, if possible, who will be honest but not judgmental.  If you do journal, making a quick note of mood and physical symptoms that day can be helpful.  It helps track if you're getting worse and sinking so low you can't do anything about it you'll have a record and if helps you remember there are better days on days when everything looks pointless.

I set tiny goals for myself.  (Today, I am going to take a shower before noon and put on clean clothes.  I am going to eat a food that is healthy.)  If you can incorporate exercise, great, even if it's parking at the other end of a parking lot.  If your physical symptoms prevent that, don't turn it in to one more thing to beat yourself up over.  Find one nice thing you can do for yourself each day, and remember that this is not your normal and it's not forever. 

As a poster mentioned above, coloring or any other repetitive activity might be helpful.  I tend to aim for the sweet spot between mindless and engaging.  If it's too mindless, I just get sucked into bad thoughts.  If it's too engaging, my brain can't focus.  Coloring, beading, chopping vegetables, playing puzzle games or Sudoku all work for me.  Everyone has their own things. 

When I can't sleep, I find using guided relaxation is helpful.  If my thoughts begin to wander, I just stop, take a deep breath and return to focusing on what I'm doing.  I have my own thing that I've developed over time but googling guided relaxation scripts or looking on you tube will give you a variety of ideas. 

If there is sun where you live, try to sit in it for a few minutes each day.  It's a good idea to check vitamin levels as well.  Many women are low in B and D vitamins and that can cause symptoms of depression to worsen.  Taking extra B complex or B12 will sometimes help. 

Try to find something you enjoy and give yourself permission to just get through each day one at a time.  I have a couple tv shows I've watched in every bad time in my life and they're always comforting when I just can't do anything else.  You don't have to get better today.  You can just take one tiny step towards helping yourself feel better and cut yourself some slack.  Pregnancy is hard for everyone and we all need a little extra rest and care. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @alitria said everything I was going to say and more. Great answer! I'll just add to the get outside/exercise advice, I find listening to happy music while taking a walk always brightens my mood, even when I was already feeling fine. I usually come home with a positive attitude and inspired to do something, whether it be an art project or cleaning out a closet. Also, when I'm feeling unmotivated a shower sometimes turns things around. 
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)