Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Did you change doctors after a miscarriage?

I had a miscarriage December 22 after a week of spotting. This was my first pregnancy. I know it wasn't the doctors fault, but looking back I don't think the doctor informed me enough. I heard my babies heartbeat and saw him/her on the ultrasound 3 days before I went in because I started spotting had loss of pregnancy symptoms. Sure enough, no heartbeat. I was numb. I asked myself "why" way too many times. Why would God want me to see the heartbeat 3 days before my baby would die? Anyway, I want to try again, but thinking about even stepping foot back into the room where I found out my baby had died stings. Anyone else feel like this and ended up changing doctors offices?

Re: Did you change doctors after a miscarriage?

• Sorry that you are feeling this way. I love my doctor and do not plan on changing. Although I was just seeing my PCP and was going to switch to an OB later. Now that it has been a few months since my MC I have decided that I don't think I will do anything different next time when it comes to doctors and appointments.

Time heals and this decision is only one you can make.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• I was in a unique position with my first loss: my OB had just left the clinic where I had been going for years, and I miscarried on a work trip so ended up in the ER in a different city when I got the news. So I found a new doctor after that at a birth center that also does women's health. I love it and everyone there so much - I can't imagine leaving. I know if I am lucky enough to get pregnant again that the first US will be hard in that room, but it is worth it to stay. If I didn't love the care team and the birth center so much I wouldn't stay, but in this instance I think it is worth it for me.

I can 100% understand what you are feeling right now. So many hugs and positive thoughts to you.
    me 30; DH 35
    TTC since May 2014.
    Aug 2014 BFP, EDD April 22, 2015. Low progesterone, started suppositories. Loss at 5w6d.
    Nov 19, 2015 BFP at 13 dpo, EDD July 29, 2016. MMC discovered 12/29 (9+4). Natural miscarriage 1/16 (12+1).
    AMH results 0.42, 1.2; FSH 12.1, AFC 10, dx DOR. 
    RPL testing results normal. Nurse recommended progesterone suppositories in TWW.
    Clomid + trigger + TI cycle August 2016 - failed. Thin lining.
    Femara + trigger + TI cycle December 2016 - failed. Thin lining.
    Short LP (8 days).
    Acupuncture & Chinese herbs starting January 2017, lengthened LP to 10 days 

Summer 2016 LFAF awards: 

Winter 2016/2017 LFAF awards:

• Loading the player...
  • I switched doctors, but it was because my doctor gave me zero guidance about what I should be doing when I finally got in to see her at 8 weeks. My old doctor and her group had left the practice and they had brought up hospitalist doctors who usually only did deliveries. After my D&C, I switched to my old doctor who gives fantastic guidance and spends as much time talking through things with me as I need. I could not be happier with my decision. If you aren't comfortable with your doctor and are confident that you can find a better one, I say switch!
  • My knee-jerk reaction right after I had the miscarriage was that I wanted to switch, but now that I'm a little more rational about it, I might stay.  I actually haven't met my doctor yet, but I really liked the nurse that I dealt with.  I think I will wait and see if I like the doctor or not.
    TTC #1 since June 2015
    BFP #1 Nov 2015 ended in MC Dec 26 2015
    BFP #2 Feb 2016, EDD Nov 8 2016

• I think I will be. I never even met my original ob and when I started bleeding he was on vacation for a week. Another practice handled my on call calls and scheduled for the stat ultrasound and blood work. And the lady said. Did you have this done and that done? She seemed surprised they never did any of the things she asked so at that point I was just pissed. My doctors office even with the staff of nurses has yet to call me to schedule follow up. My husband said "we're switching to her@
  • Really sorry for your loss. I am switching because mine wasn't handled well. She saw an abnormality on my 7 week, just a hematoma which she said are usually fine but not to exercise. I never got a call and called them a week later to see how the results were. I had been exercising kind of intense for someone who's not supposed to be at all because I had no idea. The lack of attention to detail and just being a number in their office I can't deal with, I need a practice that gives a sh$t and doesn't make me wait an hour to see a doctor for a scheduled appointment. Whenever i hear of women on bedrest I think- "Oh their practice cared about their baby not dieing good for them." I'm also switching because I can't ever go back to the ultra sound place again- also made me wait 1 hour on a full bladder. It's traumatizing how the whole thing went down and I totally understand wanting to switch, I sure am.
  • Sorry for your loss. :( Hugs! We just lost ours as well in my first pregnancy. Had symptoms mid-November, got a positive on December 1st, but had bleeding for weeks. Anyway, I spoke with my doctor about it and she seemed to brush it off and was just like "it's most likely a chemical miscarriage, wait until your next period and then you will test negative." And that was that. Well, it went on for weeks so I kept in contact with her. When I finally got an ultrasound on January 5th, there was nothing to be seen. Also, during the ultrasound the technician thought I was there for "pelvic pain" because that's what my doctor said when she ordered the US for me, not that I thought I was pregnant. I don't think my doctor believed me that I was testing positive, and it's frustrating because the technician had to ask questions that she otherwise wouldn't have asked if I didn't make her aware of what I was there for! Did not pass baby until the 8th, and only tested negative for the first time this morning. (I'm new to all of this, but I have a hard time believing that was a chemical pregnancy if it went on that long). I want to switch doctors but not sure who to go to...I will be looking around. I don't blame others for switching, either...it gets surreal when something like this happens and you definitely need to feel that you can trust your doctor and find the right help, physically and mentally through this process. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @FreeTheElf - I'm sorry for your loss - creepy internet hugs sent your way. Your doctor sounds like she is lacking some bedside manners at the very least. You deserve someone you can trust and that you like.

I currently drive about 50 minutes each way to go to my GP because I like her and disliked my old GP so much (bedside manner was lacking). I live in a "big" city but travel to a rural doctor - and I hear all the time about how I should find one more local but I'm fussy and I like my doctor - and most of the time I only go see her 1-3 times per year... When I get pregnant we'll look at referring me to an OB/GYN earlier than we would otherwise, but that is the same as we were planning before my MC.
    ---TW BFP and MC mentioned - scroll down past the Lilo and Stitch gif to avoid ---

Me: 33 & DH: 33
    Married: 07/2006
    TTC: 10/2015
    BFP #1: 11/2015, MC 12/2015 (7 weeks)
    BFP #2: 06/2016, EDD 2/15/2017

Pregnancy Ticker