January 2016 Moms

3 days from due date with a mild cold, should I worry?

arghhhhhhhhharghhhhhhhhh member
edited January 2016 in January 2016 Moms
Okay so I'm three days from my due date and I've just started showing symptoms of what is likely a mild cold. I have a sore throat and some drainage. Hubby feels the same as I do. Three year old daughter had a sore throat two nights ago and has had a bit of a runny nose since then.

That is the extent of our symptoms. DD is on the mend and never had a fever or anything.

I never considered labor or delivery while sick.

Is it likely we will pass this cold on to the baby or have antibodies already worked their magic. Will my colostrum contain antibodies to protect against this cold?

Just wondering if any of you well informed ladies or women in the medical field have any insight for me.

Thanks!

Edit: have a prenatal appointment tomorrow evening, so of course I'll ask there, just wondering in the mean time.

Re: 3 days from due date with a mild cold, should I worry?

• You are probably passing antibodies to your baby while you are pregnant and breastfeeding will help too. A mild cold probably won't be too bad for your newborn even if she does get it.
  • I had the same thing at the same time. I'm still pregnant at 40.4. But drinking water, resting, and lavender/lemon essential oils helped me out.
  • Loading the player...
  • 40+6 with a cold. Now kinda hoping it clears up before labor.
  • I had same thing when I had baby. Started 3 days before I delivered and lasted til baby was week old. Baby never got it. I think breastfeeding helped protect baby
  • As long as you keep baby's hands away from your face and avoid coughing or sneezing on him or her, s/he will be fine.

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• Naturally my whole pregnancy was a cake walk until i got a cold at 38.3... And proceeded to fracture a rib from coughing. Then i went into labor at 38.5. Not being able to breathe and having an uncontrollable dry cough made pushing very hard. The epidural made it so i didnt feel the rib. I ended up with a c section because his head wouldnt fit through my pelvis, but im still coughing and its making recovery tough. Everytime i cough it obv disrupts my little one (especially while nursing) but doctors didnt have any concern about passing it on so you should be ok.