3rd Trimester

Growth scan measured 2w5d big

I had my first ultrasound on July 1st and could only see a 9mm gestational sac but no yolk sac or fetal pole. My second ultrasound was on July 15th, everything was visible this time, and they measured the baby at 7w1d. I went for another ultrasound on September 30th (supposedly 18w1d) and the baby was measuring 19w2d (1w1d big). Today, at 30 weeks, I had my third trimester ultrasound/growth scan. The baby was measuring at 32w5d (2w5d big) and weighed 4.5lbs. My due date is March 1st but I'm wondering if it's possible that I'm actually further along than the doctor originally thought and with so many different measurements which one do I trust?

Re: Growth scan measured 2w5d big

• I would go with the earliest measurement. You're probably just having a big baby. Nothing wrong with that.

• Loading the player...
  • Your first ultrasound is the most accurate. The further along you are the less accurate ultrasounds are. Ultrasounds can be wrong by up to 2lbs.
  • I just had basically the same thing happen. My doctor is not changing my date even though baby was measuring 33 weeks and 4.5 pounds (I was 30 at the scan). She said baby is just probably going to be big (the scans can be off).
  • Ultrasounds have a pretty large margin of error, and honestly I wouldn't really be concerned at this point.
    If you are concerned, and it seems you are, talk to your doctor at your next appointment. He knows your case soecifically, and most of us are not medical professionals.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• I have been told that scans between 6 and 8 weeks gestation are the most accurate as babies growth is quite predictable early on. After 11ish weeks they can start developing and slightly different rates and any time after 18 weeks scans can be off by 2 weeks either side. but hey, im an internet stranger so you might be better to ask your doc as i am not one
  • I am in the same boat! I had an ultrasound at 36 weeks and the ultrasound measured her between 38 & 39! And that she is already 8lbs. Something must have been estimated wrong somewhere right?
  • My blood work had came back high chance of Down syndrome around 18 weeks, I went to a high risk doctor for a more intense ultrasound and everything checked out great and put me at 95% baby didn't have downs and not to worry. And she was measuring on track. Well Tuesday at my 36.6 week ultrasound to see if baby is head down baby's head is measuring 40.6 weeks, body is measuring 37 almost 38 weeks. The ultrasound tech really wouldn't discuss anything, just said that the doctor would look it over and send it to my ob. And that sometimes babies just are big and have big heads. Thursday I got a call saying I had to go to mfm, when I asked was there a cause for concern they said protocol. I'm still worried though.
  • I've been measuring two weeks ahead for the longest time. I'm currently 39 weeks and growth scan showed baby at 8.5lbs. Most likely, you're going to have a big baby :)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Measuring big isn't a problem, if you really are further along, you'll go into labor when the times comes, no harm done. If anything, it will be less pressure for you if you don't end up passing your due date.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• My DD was measuring a week ahead (and some change) and so is this one. DD came a week before my due date...Will be waiting to see if it happens with this one too.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)