Baby Showers

Sprinkle for 3rd baby?

My BFF offered, well insisted on throwing a sprinkle for my 3rd. It will be 5 years between my middle and baby, and I got rid of most everything (did not think I would be able to get pregnant due to health issues).
My question is what do I do about registering? I feel bad having a registry since it is my 3rd, but I know it is helpful when people have one when I attend a shower/sprinkle. I may make 2, one for family and one for friends with smaller items on it (diapers/boppy etc).
Thanks!  
Baby #3 
DS 6 yrs, DD 4 yrs
2 Fur babies
Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: Sprinkle for 3rd baby?

• Loading the player...
  • Personally, I wouldn't share details of the registry of you decide to make one and I wouldn't include it on the invite.

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Just don't register. If your friend wants to do something ultra-simple like invite your 3 closest friends for lunch in honor of your pregnancy, then I'm pretty sure they can each figure out something to get you if they feel so inclined. However, If she's actually going to have a full-on shower with a bunch of people, send out invites and everything, and just call it a sprinkle, well that's just crass.
  • Ok.... I did not even really ask an opinion of if you think I should be given a sprinkle, but obviously I disagree. I think I will go ahead and make a registry for family members/discount and just let my friends that would like to attend the sprinkle decide what they would like to buy for the baby. I guess they could always search online for my registry if they really wanted to.

I threw a sprinkle for my friends 2nd baby and a lot of our friends came. It was a lot of fun and she really enjoyed herself. In my opinion if you do not feel that a sprinkle is 'socially acceptable' then just do not go.  :p
    Baby #3 
    DS 6 yrs, DD 4 yrs
    2 Fur babies

• Ok.... I did not even really ask an opinion of if you think I should be given a sprinkle, but obviously I disagree. I think I will go ahead and make a registry for family members/discount and just let my friends that would like to attend the sprinkle decide what they would like to buy for the baby. I guess they could always search online for my registry if they really wanted to.

I threw a sprinkle for my friends 2nd baby and a lot of our friends came. It was a lot of fun and she really enjoyed herself. In my opinion if you do not feel that a sprinkle is 'socially acceptable' then just do not go.  :p

Ok, you do you girlfriend!!

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Can't post something on a forum and not expect people to put in their two cents - so there's no point in fighting it.  Having a sprinkle for a 3rd baby simply isn't technically proper.  That being said I'm attending one in a few weeks.  The mom is a very sweet friend of mine in a similar situation - unexpected pregnancy after thinking she was long done with babies, threw all baby stuff out etc.  Her registry is absolutely bare bones - zero frills.  There's no point in pretending that it's etiquette approved but if you're going to do it then just make sure you do it in a humble way.  Don't register for useless crap or even expect people to buy anything at all.  Don't invite anyone unless you are extremely close with them. Even for a first baby you don't put the registry on the invite, so obviously don't do that. 
  • I would only register for the discount and would only tell others ( yes even family) if they specifically asked.  I wouldn't say anything on the invitations at all because most people are only going to bring you little things like outfits, diapers and blankets.  They don't need a registry for that.
  • I NEVER ASKED IF I SHOULD HAVE A SPRINKLE MMMK? YOU LADIES NEED TO LIGHTEN UP!!!!!!
    Baby #3 
    DS 6 yrs, DD 4 yrs
    2 Fur babies

• mermaidbinamermaidbina member
    edited January 2016

So basically you asked a question. People said no, I wouldn't do it and wouldn't register:pensive: 

PLEASE READ POSTS!

Never once did I ask if my friend should throw me a sprinkle. I have no clue why you ladies care so much about other peoples lives, but obviously have some super strong opinions/ borderline issues with people throwing baby showers. I do not get what the big issue is? 
    I have a lot of friends that care for me and are TRULY HAPPY to see me pregnant and are begging to throw me a sprinkle. I honestly would feel bad, they would be disappointed if I refused. And of course I do not expect lavish gifts from my friends! I was just trying to be courteous and figure out if it would help people to figure out what I actually would need (diapers/boppy/bottles) vs having to return a lot of things. I feel sad for you ladies, maybe you just never really had people offer to throw you showers/sprinkles and are a little sensitive about others getting 2nd and 3rd sprinkles?
    Baby #3 
    DS 6 yrs, DD 4 yrs
    2 Fur babies

So basically you asked a question. People said no, I wouldn't do it and wouldn't register. You said well, I didn't ask for opinions and I'm doing it anyways. What was the point of asking if you were going to do it your way regardless of the opinions you received?

This.  You said you "feel bad for registering" so I'm not sure why you are butthurt that most of us are agreeing it's not a good idea. Part of you knows it's tacky, right?

FWIW, I wouldn't register either and if I did, it would be for the completion coupon but I wouldn't share the registry info with anyone.

Again I do feel bad and am going to leave the registry off the invites. That was my question. And NO I do not think it is tacky to accept a party from a friend to celebrate an arrival of a baby. Obviously you do so I am sure you will not accept a sprinkle if a friend offers (which in my opinion is sad, but that is your choice).
    Baby #3 
    DS 6 yrs, DD 4 yrs
    2 Fur babies

• dufferoo said:
    Just don't register. If your friend wants to do something ultra-simple like invite your 3 closest friends for lunch in honor of your pregnancy, then I'm pretty sure they can each figure out something to get you if they feel so inclined. However, If she's actually going to have a full-on shower with a bunch of people, send out invites and everything, and just call it a sprinkle, well that's just crass.
    And telling me what I should do with my life isn't?
    Baby #3 
    DS 6 yrs, DD 4 yrs
    2 Fur babies

• antoto said:
    Can't post something on a forum and not expect people to put in their two cents - so there's no point in fighting it.  Having a sprinkle for a 3rd baby simply isn't technically proper.  That being said I'm attending one in a few weeks.  The mom is a very sweet friend of mine in a similar situation - unexpected pregnancy after thinking she was long done with babies, threw all baby stuff out etc.  Her registry is absolutely bare bones - zero frills.  There's no point in pretending that it's etiquette approved but if you're going to do it then just make sure you do it in a humble way.  Don't register for useless crap or even expect people to buy anything at all.  Don't invite anyone unless you are extremely close with them. Even for a first baby you don't put the registry on the invite, so obviously don't do that. 
    Please tell me where it says this in the rule book of life? I'd love to know where you ladies get your info from? And why in the heck would you not put a registry on an invite to a shower? Maybe where I live people are more considerate and actually want to get people what they ask for?
    Baby #3 
    DS 6 yrs, DD 4 yrs
    2 Fur babies

• Uh. Damn girl. Maybe your super kind and considerate friends will just ask you what you want/need? Or they might know about this newfangled contraption called "The Google" that they can type in your name and the word registry, sprinkle some chicken blood and find any registry you ever made? Seriously you are making this a much bigger thing than it needs to be. A friend has offered you a sprinkle. You feel bad putting a registry on an invite. So you don’t put the registry on the invite, chances are your friends are smart enough to ask you or Google if they want to find your registry. If not hopefully they have good taste in onseies. Chill.
    I'm seriously wondering if this isn't all just MUD.  What was the point of this post?

So basically you asked a question. People said no, I wouldn't do it and wouldn't register. You said well, I didn't ask for opinions and I'm doing it anyways. What was the point of asking if you were going to do it your way regardless of the opinions you received?

This.  You said you "feel bad for registering" so I'm not sure why you are butthurt that most of us are agreeing it's not a good idea. Part of you knows it's tacky, right?

FWIW, I wouldn't register either and if I did, it would be for the completion coupon but I wouldn't share the registry info with anyone.

Again I do feel bad and am going to leave the registry off the invites. That was my question. And NO I do not think it is tacky to accept a party from a friend to celebrate an arrival of a baby. Obviously you do so I am sure you will not accept a sprinkle if a friend offers (which in my opinion is sad, but that is your choice).

Don't feel sad for me. I'm cool. Why are you so defensive? The ONLY thing I talked about was the registry. Have your sprinkle, I don't give a shit.

I HAD a shower for my second child because it was a surprise from my best friend. I didn't give you shit for anything regarding your sprinkle so like PP's have said, you really need to chill out.

• Ignoring the major freak out above...

I am having a sprinkle for my 3rd. Only because my church has a little shower for literally every baby. It will be informal, no registry, I expect no big gifts. Probably all clothes and home made blankets, etc. My mom is the only non church lady invited. I think it will be charming. I see no reason to tell anyone what to get me, they can figure it out on their own. The only thing I did was tell the hostess that I had more than enough leftover size 1 and 2 diapers so size 3 and up would be best if anyone asked her what we needed. I think sprinkles are fine but some people really side eye them and you never know who will think it's tacky so it's better to not have one or if you do, keep it very small and intimate (like 10 or less people ideally).
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• So basically you asked a question. People said no, I wouldn't do it and wouldn't register:pensive: 

PLEASE READ POSTS!

Never once did I ask if my friend should throw me a sprinkle. I have no clue why you ladies care so much about other peoples lives, but obviously have some super strong opinions/ borderline issues with people throwing baby showers. I do not get what the big issue is? 
    I have a lot of friends that care for me and are TRULY HAPPY to see me pregnant and are begging to throw me a sprinkle. I honestly would feel bad, they would be disappointed if I refused. And of course I do not expect lavish gifts from my friends! I was just trying to be courteous and figure out if it would help people to figure out what I actually would need (diapers/boppy/bottles) vs having to return a lot of things. I feel sad for you ladies, maybe you just never really had people offer to throw you showers/sprinkles and are a little sensitive about others getting 2nd and 3rd sprinkles?
    Aaaaaand she's pulled out the "I feel sad for you/you're jealous" card. I'm tempted to make a baby shower bingo.
  • Wow, there is an awful lot of hostility around here. remind me not to ask any questions that could be controversial, because obviously everyone has a STRONG opinion and doesn't always express it in a friendly manner.
    That being said, I am pregnant with my third child, after not planning to have any more kids, and getting rid of absolutely everything last summer, we had an oops, and now our 11 year old and 6 year old are getting another sibling. I have had 2 sisters in law, my stepmom and a couple friends mention throwing me a baby shower, but after reading this, I'm afraid of what others will think! Holy Crap! We wouldn't actually be registering though, and if they insist on throwing a shower/sprinkle, I will suggest we just make it a big coed BBQ, and ask the guests to bring a pack of diapers or wipes to be entered in a raffle for a prize. DH and I are taking care of all the BIG stuff, (Carseat, Crib, Stroller, ETC) and will start buying gender appropriate little stuff as soon as we find out the sex of the baby. Good Luck to the OP, and hopefully your friends aren't judgemental like so many people in this world!
  • I was just showing support for the OP... I don't want a baby shower... like I said, My DH and I are already taking care of the baby stuff we need. I'm not asking anyone to buy me squat! And I have made it clear to my friends/family that if they want to throw a party, I just want it to be party to celebrate the impending arrival of another child. A shower is very different from a diaper party, a shower is a party to have the mom to be showered with gifts for her and her baby. That is the farthest thing from what I want. I've been there, done that.
    However, you further show how judgemental people can be.
  • ShanRum3 said:
    I was just showing support for the OP... I don't want a baby shower... like I said, My DH and I are already taking care of the baby stuff we need. I'm not asking anyone to buy me squat! And I have made it clear to my friends/family that if they want to throw a party, I just want it to be party to celebrate the impending arrival of another child. A shower is very different from a diaper party, a shower is a party to have the mom to be showered with gifts for her and her baby. That is the farthest thing from what I want. I've been there, done that.

You're the one who came in here guns blazing, calling people names. Not cool man.

Besides, the OP was straight nasty to everyone on here. But lets not call her out.

• bbiutmcph said:
    ShanRum3 said:
    I was just showing support for the OP... I don't want a baby shower... like I said, My DH and I are already taking care of the baby stuff we need. I'm not asking anyone to buy me squat! And I have made it clear to my friends/family that if they want to throw a party, I just want it to be party to celebrate the impending arrival of another child. A shower is very different from a diaper party, a shower is a party to have the mom to be showered with gifts for her and her baby. That is the farthest thing from what I want. I've been there, done that.
    And a diaper party is where you tell your friends and families they have to buy DIAPERS (one specific thing) to come over and have a meal and drinks.  If you really didn't want anything you would have a cook out in the summertime with no mention of baby anything, diaper anything, bring anything etc.  And you are asking people to buy you "squat" in the form of diapers.

So...much...this...
  • This was a totally relevant and worthwhile thread to resurrect.
  • Guess you ladies have nothing better to do..........
    Baby #3 
    DS 6 yrs, DD 4 yrs
    2 Fur babies

• BigboobsmcgeeBigboobsmcgee member
    edited February 2016
    Guess you ladies have nothing better to do..........

OP you got some great input, no need to come back and be petty. Enjoy your sprinkle and move on.
  • Guess you ladies have nothing better to do..........
     evidently neither do you. 
  • Am I the only one who thinks of peeing when they see the word 'sprinkle'? 
  • I thought a sprinkle for just for necessities - like diapers/sleepers, etc?   Are these things you really need to register for?