Baby Names
Options

Sloane. Update: middle name?

ToricharlineToricharline member
edited January 2016 in Baby Names
Update edit::: currently only looking for middle name suggestions. Thanks! :::

I've always been obsessed with this name since I first saw Ferris Bullers Day Off years and years ago. I have never actually known anyone with this name. I love is so much, and finally brought it up to DH last night, and he really likes it too. We are team green, and have already narrowed it down to 2 names for a boy, but for a girl we have different styles. Sloane is the first one we have agreed on! Our DDs name is Marley Raen. So for a baby sister, would Sloane be too off the wall? And also, the middle names I would love to use are Skye or Charline (both family names) but I don't feel either of those go with Sloane, so I'm open to suggestions!

Re: Sloane. Update: middle name?

• Options
    I neither love it or hate it. But I do think it could be used for either gender.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I really like it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    atcwag said:

I neither love it or hate it. But I do think it could be used for either gender.

My DH said the same, he said he likes it for a boy too, but I'm super set on the two boy names I like already and think if I added a third to the list, I would never be able to choose! Lol

• Options
    Like it!
  • Options
    I like Sloane. I think it fits really well with Marley, too.
  • Options
    I like it esp with Marley.
  • Options
    Any suggestions for middle names?
  • Options
    Keep Charline for the middle name... Sloane is edgy without being weird and Charline is a nice balance... And I like middle names to be important in some way and not just sound nice.
  • Options
    I really like it and I think it pairs well with Marley. It's not a name you hear every day but it's recognizable enough to not fall in the "weird" category.

• Options
    I like Sloane Charline. Sloane is not really my style, but I think it goes well with Marley.
  • Options
    Sloan goes with either mn.
  • Options
    Thank you all! This really helps reassure my decision!
  • Options
    I forgot to add, Skye definitely doesn't go. I think Charline goes okay, but I like the idea of using a family name (I did with all three kids) so that sort of makes up for it not flowing perfectly.

• Options
    I like Sloane for a girl.
  • Options
    That's okay! Not everyone is going to like it, and I'm fine with that. Thanks for your honest opinions!
  • Options

I'm sorry I'm apparently going to be in the minority but I really do not like this name, especially for a girl. It doesn't sound feminine or appealing to me at all.

So I think I'm pretty set of using Sloane, but maybe you can help suggest a middle name that may help make it sound more "feminine"?
  • Options
    I'm afraid I'm also in the not-a-fan camp, and it definitely caught me by surprise that this was going to be a girl's name. Sloane Charlene sounds nicer than Skye. I do think it fits decently well with your previous name.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Sloane Marie came to mind first, however, since most people go by just their first name, I don't think the MN would make any difference in make it more feminine (to me, personally!).

I agree that the ones you listed do not go well with Sloane. Are there any other family names you could use?

Sloane Elizabeth
    Sloane Faith
    Sloane Katherine
    Sloane Charlotte

Not sure these really fit with your naming style though! FWIW I do think Sloane goes well with Marley.
  • Options
    I've never really been a fan of Sloane. It's not horrible but I just don't think it's very pretty. Since you're set on using it I agree that you should use a more feminine middle name. Suggest:

Sloane Noelle
    Sloane Alexandra
    Sloane Juliet
    Sloane Isabella
    Sloane Annalise
  • Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I call my DD1 by her fn+mn almost every time I talk to her lol, but agreed when other people refer to her they only use fn. We still have a little time to come up with a mn, so we will keep thinking. Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    I love Sloane!

Adding that you may want to look up Sloane Rangers. British thing. Better now. I would still go for it though
  • Options
    It's a nice name. My only question would be, how does it sound with your last name? 
  • Options
    mthoomom said:

It's a nice name. My only question would be, how does it sound with your last name? 

My last name is two syllables, starts with "F" ends with "er". So it doesn't sound bad together at all I don't think. Just need a good middle name to pull it together. :)
  • Options
    We used a masculine fn & paired girly. It helps in my mind. :)
  • Options
    I love it. I know a Sloane and I think it's a great name.
  • Options
    Yes, Sloane could be used for a boy or girl.  I know two Sloanes born in 2015.  The boy was spelled Sloan and the girl Sloane. 
  • Options
    I love the name Sloane and think it is definitely feminine.  I have known one Sloane in my life (when I was a child).  You need a middle name with 2-3 syllables I think.
  • Options
    I really like Sloane and also agree that it should be balanced with at least a 2-syllable, softer middle name. Charline is okay, I wouldn't pair it with Skye though.

Suggest:
    Sloane Olivia
    Sloane Elizabeth
    Sloane Victoria
    Sloane Katherine
    LFAF Awards

me: 27 | husband: 35
    IR PCOS  dx Sept. 2014

married May 2015 --> started NTNP
    BFP 6.28.15 - EDD 3.6.16 
    baby #1 born 2.19.16 

TTC #2 in April 2017
    BFP 12.30.17 - EDD 9.6.18

Fertility Friend Chart
  • Options
    fwtx5815 said:

I really like Sloane and also agree that it should be balanced with at least a 2-syllable, softer middle name. Charline is okay, I wouldn't pair it with Skye though.

Suggest:
    Sloane Olivia
    Sloane Elizabeth
    Sloane Victoria
    Sloane Katherine

So Sloane Elizabeth has been in my head this whole time. I like it, but an not 100%
    My first name is Victoria, would it be weird of me to make that a middle name?
    And also, my first daughters middle name is Raen, so i was kind of thinking about maybe something nature related as well? Middle names are tough! Haha

• Options
    Not my style, but I think it goes fine with Marley. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    A friend named her new DD Sloa.ne E.den fwiw

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
    Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I'm also in the "I just don't get it" camp. Sloane sounds so manly to me. Like a biker guy nickname or something.
    BabyGaga
  • Options

I'm also in the "I just don't get it" camp. Sloane sounds so manly to me. Like a biker guy nickname or something.

Lol thanks for the input. Maybe the name will help toughen her up and grow into her biker name when she gets older haha
    But seriously though, not really looking for people who like it. I like it and thats the name we are sticking with. But was there a middle name suggestion in there anywhere? Because thats what im currently looking for. :)
  • Options
    I think that going with Sloane Victoria would work. Then you are pairing it with a classic name, and you are also bringing down your name (if that is something that you would like to do).
  • Options
    I also really like Sloane Victoria
  • Options
    Sloane is my daughter's mn :) I really like Sloane Victoria.