Trying to Get Pregnant

Definite Positive OPK 3 days before period? Confused!!

Hi ladies!
Currently 2 months ttc after 2 miscarriages. I am 11 days past ovulation and feeling kinda nauseous along with other symptoms. So, I decided to take a OPK and HPT today (mid-afternoon) just out of curiosity.. Got a negative hpt but a definite positive OPK- test line is much darker than control line- I'm so confused!! I've read online that many had similar results and ended up pregnant. Has anyone had anything similar to this?

Answers

• edited January 2016
    Did you temp to confirm ovulation, or only rely on the OPK to suggest when you might be about to ovulate? OPKs only measure LH surges, which indicate that you may be about to ovulate, but only temping can confirm ovulation, and only in hindsight.  You can have multiple LH surges during a cycle.  So, if you haven't confirm via temping, you may have ovulated during your previous LH surge, or you may be about to ovulate now.  Or neither.  Either way, a positive OPK has no bearing on whether you'll have a positive HPT.

Edited for clarity
  • Hi ladies!
    Currently 2 months ttc after 2 miscarriages. I am 11 days past ovulation and feeling kinda nauseous along with other symptoms. So, I decided to take a OPK and HPT today (mid-afternoon) just out of curiosity.. Got a negative hpt but a definite positive OPK- test line is much darker than control line- I'm so confused!! I've read online that many had similar results and ended up pregnant. Has anyone had anything similar to this?

Although it is true that opks will be positive when you are pregnant, They won't turn positive from pregnancy until s few days after the hpt will turn positive.

Just because your cycle was a certain length last time doesn't mean it will this time. You should assume the most probable cause -- that you will be ovulating soon and then get your period 10-16 days after that.
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Loading the player...
  • I'm very sorry for your losses.

How do you know your 11dpo? Are you temping? A negative HPT means not pregnant at this time. A positive OPK could indicate that you are about to ovulate, but you can only know for sure if you are temping.

This type of question doesn't go well over here FYI. I suggest you lurk a bit and get the feel for the board.
  • Sorry for your losses. I'm curious as to why you read that on certain boards and then brought it over to this one?

To avoid confusion I'd probably stick to hpt if temping confirmed O and not use opk's?

I'd also lurk more.

Me: 32 Him: 29 Live : London, UK
    TTC #1 since October 2015
    IVF Fresh Nov 16 = BFN
    IVF FET Jan 17 = BFP
    EDD: Oct 4th 2017
    TEAM: PINK!!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I have totally had a positive OPK and a negative pregnancy test.

Not sure what that's means for you though....

• Time to get out the ol' uterus goggles

• Negative HPT means not pregnant. OPKs don't tell you if you actually ovulated, they only help to predict when you might potentially ovulate. You can turn a positive OPK at any point in you cycle and it not mean that you ovulated. The only way to confirm ovulation is via ultrasound or temping.
  • I've had positive opks multiple times throughout cycle including a few days before AF was due; was not pregnant. Agree with PP's - I would stick to the hpts, temp if not already temping and good luck!!
    DH: 34 | Me: 35
    DS1 9/24/13
    DX Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Factor V Leiden Mutation, Secondary Infertility
    MFI (SA #1
    Count 11mill, Motility: 18%, Morphology: 1%)
    MFI (SA #2Count 7 mill, Motility: 18%, Morphology: 1%)
    AMH .328 
    | FSH 13.2 
    Oct. 2016: Clomid + TI
    IVF: ER 3/1/17; 5 retrieved, 3 mature & fertilized
    Results: 2 PGS normal embryos
    Planned on August 2017 transfer
    **TW**
    Natural BFP 4/3/17,Expecting baby boy via RCS 12/7/17

• I am sorry for your loses. I would have to agree with PPs. How did you know you ovulated? Are you temping? Or were you just using OPKs? You can gear up to O and not actually ovulate multiple times a cycle. I have had this happen. The HPT being negative tells you you aren't pregnant right now.
    Married 5/21/2011
    DD 1 10/2012
    CP 9/2013
    DD 2 6/2014
    CP 3/2016        
     BFP 12/8/2016        
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Thank you all for the help and suggestions! :# Didn't mean to offend anyone with the question. Just very confused as this did not happen with past pregnancies. I know I am 11 dpo from charting and for the most part have regular cycles. I will be sure to just stick with hpt. Thanks for the help.
  • Thank you all for the help and suggestions! :# Didn't mean to offend anyone with the question. Just very confused as this did not happen with past pregnancies. I know I am 11 dpo from charting and for the most part have regular cycles. I will be sure to just stick with hpt. Thanks for the help.

Can we see your chart?
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

Why did you even take the OPK if you know you already ovulated?
  • @asgalbreath107 it's a very sensitive forum! Don't worry. I had 6 posi opks up to the day I started my AF and had no idea what to make of it either. There is a lot of debate about what that means. I have read it can be a posi pgt but really probably best to test again (hpt) in a few day or so. The offended will have calmed by then too! Good luck
  • Thank you for making my point
  • WitandWhimsyWitandWhimsy member
    edited January 2016
    YankeeUK said:

@asgalbreath107 it's a very sensitive forum! Don't worry. I had 6 posi opks up to the day I started my AF and had no idea what to make of it either. There is a lot of debate about what that means. I have read it can be a posi pgt but really probably best to test again (hpt) in a few day or so. The offended will have calmed by then too! Good luck

Uhhhh nobody was offended. A lot of us gave her a realistic answer.

ETA - so people gave you helpful answers on one of your posts and then you proceed to insult us by saying we're too sensitive? Bye Felicia.
  • YankeeUK said:
    Thank you for making my point
    Oh! After your two days of posting with us you know us all so well!! And you're a clever comedian too!

And to think everyone was so helpful in their responses to your post, and you give insults in return. Lovely.

Me: 32 Him: 29 Live : London, UK
    TTC #1 since October 2015
    IVF Fresh Nov 16 = BFN
    IVF FET Jan 17 = BFP
    EDD: Oct 4th 2017
    TEAM: PINK!!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • YankeeUK said:

Thank you for making my point

I don't get where you interpreted this as too sensitive of a board. @bcooke314 just asked a question about why she tested using OPKs....?
    We don't get offended easily. There are rules & norms for this board. They are listed in the newbie thread. We get multiple people a day not reading the rules and we course correct immediately. That is a big difference from being sensitive or easily offended. Stay around awhile and you will absolutely grow to enjoy it.
    Me: 33 DH: 31
    DS: 5 years old
    TTC #2 since August 2015
    July 2016: Testing cycle with 100 mg Clomid = BFN
    August 2016: 50 mg Clomid + IUI = BFN
    October 2016: IVF#1 - 13 retrieved / 12 mature /  9 fertilized / 2 blasts
    November 2016: FET#1 = chemical
    January 2017: FET#2 = chemical
    March 2017: IVF#2 - 18 retrieved / 18 mature / 16 fertilized / 5 blasts
    April 24, 2017: FET#3 - BFN
    May 24, 2017: FET#4 - BFP! - Beta #1 151 - Beta #2 503 - Due date 2/9/18
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • YankeeUK said:
    @asgalbreath107 it's a very sensitive forum! Don't worry. I had 6 posi opks up to the day I started my AF and had no idea what to make of it either. There is a lot of debate about what that means. I have read it can be a posi pgt but really probably best to test again (hpt) in a few day or so. The offended will have calmed by then too! Good luck
    OP doesn't seem hurt by the responses so why are you? Is it because you're, dare I say it, sensitive? Easily offended? 

OP it's also possible your body is re-regulating if your last loss was recent. I'm also on my 2nd cycle post loss. Without temping I would've thought I ovulated last month based on other signs but I didn't, my body was just trying to gear up to it and not making it. Looks like the same story this month so far. I've been getting patches of EWCM and some pretty dark OPKs but still no O and it's a few days later than my usual time to O. Good luck and I'm sorry for your losses. 
  • I've only ever had one positive OPK & four pregnancies. So, you don't necessarily have to have one to ovulate & you don't always have one prior to ovulation. So, odds are it's a random LH surge. If you aren't temping then you could be ovulating later than your personal average. It happens & I would have sex just in case. Bodies are strange things & they do not follow your calendar.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers