November 2015 Moms

Period after baby

Hey ladies, I've searched through the threads and didn't find one pertaining to this topic.. If I missed it I'm sorry!!
I'm just wondering how long it's taken you to get your first period since you've had your little one? My son is 2 months old now and I'm still impatiently waiting (mainly because my dr has me waiting to start my birth control pills until after my first period). I pumped the first month for my son and since then he is now exclusively formula fed. Literally have never been so ready to get my period ever so I don't have to keep wondering when it's coming lol :|

Re: Period after baby

• 10 weeks pp and still waiting. However, I'm pumping and breastfeeding so it could be s while. I want to tack on a question if you don't mind.

For ladies who have had a period, did you notice sign of ovulation prior to it returning?
  • I got my period at 8 weeks pp, and yes I was ovulating I know this cause I check with ovulation test. TMI, my period was like bright red blood, not what I'm used to, I asked my DR and said is normal after pp.
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine came about two months after delivery.
  • I EBF and got my period at 10 weeks pp...it was heavier than it used to be but only lasted 4 days which was normal before pregnancy...

• I just got mine at 8 weeks pp. I pumped for 2 weeks and he has been exclusively formula fed since.

• I'm 9 weeks out and nothing yet. Just curious, why would your doctor make u wait for birth control? Don't you ovulate before getting your first pp period? My doc gave me birth control on my 4weeks pp check up so I'm wondering if I should've waited???
  • I just got mine at 7 weeks PP, but it's super light. I EBF.
  • I'm kind of glad someone posted about this. I've been meaning to post something too. I got my period very shortly after I got the Mirena put in around 8 weeks PP. I Was curious if anyone else has had a very LONG periods? It's now going on two weeks and still going strong :(
  • I agree with PP - not sure why your doctor is making you wait. I got on the mini pill first and then decided to go for mirena (appointment is in February). i haven't gotten my period yet (10w pp).
  • I'm almost 11 weeks pp and no period yet. Though I've been on the mini pill since 2 weeks and my son is only eating breastmilk (though I EP and from what I hear that's less effective at keeping periods away than feeding from the breast).

I find it strange that your doctor would make you wait. I mean, I know I started birth control earlier than most seem to (I was discharged from the hospital with a 3 month supply), but having to wait until you have a period seems crazy to me.
  • 8 weeks out and no period yet. Eping. I'm with the PP wondering why he would make you wait. I've never heard of that. Side note- I haven't been on birth control since I was a teenager and my doctor looked at me crazy when I said I didn't want birth control. He asked several times before leaving the room. I thought it was pretty funny.
  • I'm kind of glad someone posted about this. I've been meaning to post something too. I got my period very shortly after I got the Mirena put in around 8 weeks PP. I Was curious if anyone else has had a very LONG periods? It's now going on two weeks and still going strong :(

That's from the Mirena. Bleeding is s common side effect when you first get it in. In can last week's for some women.
  • 12 weeks postpartum tomorrow, and I just got it Saturday.
  • We ebf and I pump at work. I got my first period about 4.5-5 weeks pp. I started the mini pill at 7 weeks pp. I have already had 2 periods and now some breakthrough bleeding. I think things are starting to settle down on the mini pill. I am now 13 weeks pp.
  • I am 10 weeks, 3 days post c-section and no signs of a period, I breastfeed and pump. I also had a tubal, so I'm not on any form of birth control. 
  • 10 weeks, EBF and pumping at work. No period yet. 
  • She just suggested waiting to start my pills so I could have one normal period before getting back on it. I was on the pill for 6 years before getting pregnant so my body was so regular. It doesn't really bother me not starting the pills yet. Just ready to get my period so I can get back to 'normal.' Thanks for the input ladies. I'll be impatiently waiting lol
  • I EBF and got my first pp period at exactly 12 weeks. It only lasted 4 days, but I was super bummed that it came that early. I wasn't expecting it for several more months as I heard most EBF moms don't get it for the first 6 months. I also did have signs of ovulation.
  • I got mine at 8.5 weeks PP (BF did not work for me, so that lasted less than a week before he was exclusively on formula). Mine was totally not like before baby. Cramps came for a couple of days before I started (they are usually worst on days one and two of the actual period), and I really just kinda spotted two days and then had an actual period for about four days, but the whole time it was quite light.

My OB also said that they suggested not beginning my first pack of BCPs until I actually started my first PP period. Nonetheless, I'm getting Mirena put in next week, so the BCPs don't matter anyway. They made me wait until at least 8 weeks PP to have IUD inserted.
  • 8 weeks out and no period yet. Eping. I'm with the PP wondering why he would make you wait. I've never heard of that. Side note- I haven't been on birth control since I was a teenager and my doctor looked at me crazy when I said I didn't want birth control. He asked several times before leaving the room. I thought it was pretty funny.

Me, too! DH and I used only condoms for a year prior to getting pregnant (when we planned it and stopped using them). I felt amazing, after being on BC of one kind another for over 12 years. No emotional roller coasters, better sex, etc.

When I told my midwife I didn't want any, she was very surprised. The doc on rotation in the hospital, who asked me less than eight hrs after giving birth, tried to scare me into it by basically saying I would get pregnant again immediately.
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I am from the December board but had my baby in November- so I lurk on both boards :smile: I have been concerned about not getting my period either. I am 9w pp and still nothing. I only BF for about a week and a half then completely stopped, and switched to formula.
    I am also still Producing milk! If I squeeze my boob- it comes spewing out but it never leaks... It's so strange. Idk why it hasn't dried up yet. With my first pregnancy, I got my pp period at 6 weeks and my milk dried up right away. I'm wondering if that's why it hasn't come yet- due to the fact I still have milk?!

Anyway.... I can't believe I am even missing my period but I'm just hoping nothing is wrong or that I'm pregnant again :/
  • My LO is almost 11 weeks and nothing yet. I breastfeed him at home and pump a few bottles at work for him to have at daycare. I'm on the nursing pill since I breastfeed. I was told I can start that whenever and didn't have to wait for a period since one might not come while I'm breastfeeding.
  • Ugh, I EBF and got mine 6.5 weeks PP. I was looking forward to not having it got a hot minute. What a pain in the butt.
  • With baby #4 (this last one) I got my period at 7wks pp and I EB. With my first 2 it was almost 5/6 months before I got one and I was EB with pumping at work. With my 3rd it was about 2-3 months and I only got to nurse for 2-3 weeks and then we had to do formula
  • 7.5 months pp and still nothing.  I was pumping up to 6.5 months and recently switched birth controls from the "nursing safe" birth control to a regular one...still nothing.  You probably shouldn't wait until after you have a period because you can still get pregnant w/o a period.
  • I got my 1st period (on a camping trip!) 4.5 months PP and about a month and a half after I stopped pumping.  It was back to a typical period for me.
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• I got my first 2 weeks ago so 3.5 months.  I was EPING but my supply was drying up. First period was lighter than it use to be and was over earlier. 

• I got mine around 8 weeks PP and haven't had one since... (19 weeks PP now). I'm exclusively breastfeeding.
  • my cycle is SO weird after my baby. He is 17 weeks old now. I got my first period 7 weeks after he was born. (but I also bled until he was 5 weeks old.) That first one lasted a week and a half. I got another one at 14 weeks pp that lasted over 2 weeks and then it went away for a week and now it's back again. What the hell?! When are things going to equalize?

Me: 35, healthy

DH: 35, male IF

Married 6 years on Feb  27th 2016. TTC since we got married.

Were going to go the adoption route, but decided to try IVF with donor embryos once or twice.

After 5 years of waiting, hoping, researching, doctors, etc we tried the procedure.

DS was born on 11-24-15!!

• Still no period at 4.5mo. I have mirena though so I likely won't get one!! *happy*
  • 4 months and still no period for me. However, I bled for 9 weeks PP so I feel like I paid my dues  ;)
    With my first, I was EP and supplementing with F because of a diminishing supply and got my period at 8 weeks PP.
  • I have mirena and I am EBF, but still got my period at 3 month and the next one too already. Oh well.
  • I have Mirena and have bled now since February 7. It finally tapered off a couple of days ago, but I still have a bit of spotting. I'm hoping this is the end and then I'm one of the 40% who won't have a period anymore. I deserve it. 
  • Nothing, no birth control and ebf
  • Kanne0729Kanne0729 member
    edited March 2016
    My lo was born on 10-29 and I got my first period on Jan 25 so I have had two so far since giving birth and the next one is due in a couple of days. This is so weird but I was so relieved for it to come back because I just wanted to get back on track again.

Eta: I exclusively ff though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I only bled for 3 weeks PP and still haven't gotten a period.. Baby girls almost 5 months.. Personally, I'm loving it. Over a year without a period is awesome. I EBF
  • kmd91kmd91 member
    Almost 5 months and still no period. But I did bleed for 8 weeks, so I think I earned a break, haha. I EP, so I was worried it'd come back sooner than if I actually had him on the breast, but so far so good!
  • 16 weeks pp n just got it this week. I ebf for 8 weeks then supplemented w formula. Now he just bf mostly at night or comfort feeds every now and then.
  • Nothing yet. I didn't my period back after having my first until 10 months pp. EBF here. 
  • I hope nature decides I can live without my period.
    Bout 4 months and nothing, bf and pumping.

I bet now that I post this I'll get it tonight.