June 2015 Moms

Making baby food

2»

Re: Making baby food

• We do taco Thursday so she's getting an avocado slice tonight. She was iffy on the avocado and banana mashed with a fork. Damn "princess" Lol, maybe it was b/c avocado was the first thing I have her.
  • Do any of you use spices on their food yet? I haven't, but I saw some recipes online that used cinnamon.
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh I got beech but banana cinnamon granola and she loves it !
  • @caitlincunn You are my girl today! Thank you for your input! I need to look into the beech nut brand!
  • I see a lot of recipes that recommend cumin ... Haven't tried it yet though but she has had garlic and parsley.
  • I've used herbs and spices a lot ( my kids are 8 months) I've used cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, tandoori, Rosemary, cilantro and mint. I use vanilla and coconut milk often too. They weren't fans of the cilantro but loved everything else.
  • I've used herbs and spices a lot ( my kids are 8 months) I've used cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, tandoori, Rosemary, cilantro and mint. I use vanilla and coconut milk often too. They weren't fans of the cilantro but loved everything else.
    Thanks!  I had seen a suggested but lost track of it, so I haven't added much other than cinnamon.

Re. avocado, LO wasn't keen on having it plain at first, so I mixed in a little fruit puree for a while and now he eats it up. Love how convenient avocado is, and I don't mind eating the leftovers :) 

This made me curious if there was a way to avoid browning without using citrus. Soda water was the best baby-friendly alternative, or crushing a vitamin c tablet and dissolving in water. 
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• LO looked at me like I was on crack when I gave her a slice of avocado last night so I mashed it up and she still wasn't pleased with me. I think the only way she's going to eat it is if I actually purée it.
  • ^^LO looks at me like I am trying poison her when I givers her avocado. We've tried it mashed, pureed, sliced, mix with milk, & mixed with oatmeal. She hates it. I might just call it on avocados.
  • @hudson202 I called it on avocados. She hated it. I know it takes multiple exposures but every single time she wouldn't take a second bite. We tried 6 times.
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • @alcrimmins my banana always Browns. I haven't frozen them yet though.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 12/23/13 MMC 01/24/14 @ 9w5days

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• 47923ang47923ang member
    edited January 2016
    My babes actually like avocados, but both times J ate them, she puked a few hours later. Nothing else made her puke like that. So, no more avocados for awhile here.

ETA--my bananas browned in the freezer, but they taste fine.
  • LO doesn't like avocado slices but loves them in the mesh teether... Wtf?
  • Speaking of mesh teether. The one I have says 10+ months so I haven't used it. Is that not normal? Do I just have a weird brand? Or does it just say that, but I can really use it now with no issues?
  • ...errrr I can't claim I read the directions! But I can't see why it can't be used before 10 months... I mean it seems safer than solid food!
  • I just bought one today for 6 months. It was munchkin brand.
  • jessieR358jessieR358 member
    edited January 2016
    I have the munchkin brand feeder and I'll admit I didn't even read the package but I don't know why you'd have to wait until 10 months. At that point they should be able to eat without one right? My 6 month old loves his!

Eta: feeder, not Teether...its 2:30am
  • I didn't read any instructions on mine either. Just used it and he loves it!
  • Ok great. I'll just go for it then.
  • I made a bunch of homemade baby food (sweet potatoes, pumpkin, and butternut squash) but LO won't eat it. She loves store-bought purées of the same foods but nothing that I've made. Does anyone else have this problem too? Do you have any tricks to get them to eat it?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • een23 said:

I made a bunch of homemade baby food (sweet potatoes, pumpkin, and butternut squash) but LO won't eat it. She loves store-bought purées of the same foods but nothing that I've made. Does anyone else have this problem too? Do you have any tricks to get them to eat it?

It could be the texture. I can't get my homemade purees as smooth as store bought, especially peas.

Now that we've been eating purees and a few finger foods, I've tried some of my older, chunkier frozen purees, and they eat them just fine. So, wait awhile and try again?

Or, mix the homemade into the store bought a little at a time. Slowly increase the ratio til it's all homemade.

• hudson202hudson202 member
    edited January 2016
    ^that's stinks! The only luck we have had in trying to get LO to eat things she doesn't like is mixing it with something she does. Like she LOVES oatmeal, so I will mix a lot of things with that to get her to try new foods.
  • I'll have to try that. We've tried alternating bites of homemade food with store-bought ones she likes but she spits out the homemade food. Mixing will be our next step! Otherwise I'm going to have to start adding the purees to my smoothies.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Sorry @een23 I don't have any advice for you other than to try different spices or thickness. My LO loves both the store bought and homemade purées.
  • klkonwiklkonwi member
    edited January 2016
    @een23
    We have the opposite problem. I started with jars and we ended up wasting 10 of them because he refused them. Made homemade purees and now he likes food......
  • Taste store bought and then taste homemade...big difference!

Lo loves avocados. He won't eat them while so I mash them and add fine minced cilantro.
  • Well LO does love avocados in the form of guacamole...
  • I just gave LO a slice of avacado in a mesh bag. He loved it!
  • CC looks at me like I'm crazy when I give her something in a mesh bag. :/ I did get a self feeding purée thingy that she loves though! It has a decent sized slit that allows her to suck out the food and a cap on it so I can take it with me of I'm in a hurry!

• ^^^^ I definitely need to get one of those! He seems kind of over the spoon. Where did you find it @alcrimmins
  • @amccoy129 It's made by Munchkin and I think I got it at BRU!
  • een23 said:
    I made a bunch of homemade baby food (sweet potatoes, pumpkin, and butternut squash) but LO won't eat it. She loves store-bought purées of the same foods but nothing that I've made. Does anyone else have this problem too? Do you have any tricks to get them to eat it?
    Perhaps its a texture preference? 

You could try mixing your homemade baby food for few days with the store-bought purees she prefers, after a few days she might be less likely to protest just the homemade baby food.