1st Trimester
Options

Early Ultrasound and conflicting information

So after lurking through boards, I realize that it's very common for a baby to measure earlier than expected. This recently happened to me but my doc gave me some info that is conflicting from most of what I've read-
Yesterday I woke up with some spotting while I was visiting my parents in Florida (I now live in MN). I decided to call my old obgyn who I went to for years. They fit me in and told me to come in for an ultrasound (I was/am supposed to have my first ultrasound on Feb. 5th with my new doctor in MN). I thought I was 5w6d and measured at 5w1d based on sac and CRL. I wasn't too concerned until he said he wanted me to come back in THREE DAYS because he wanted to check growth (he says baby will grow significantly) and because there is always a heart beat at 5w4d. Now based on what I've read- there is not always a heartbeat at that time and I'm worried it will send me into a panic if I don't see it on Monday. Wondering if maybe I should just wait for my MN ultrasound. Blood work has doubled and progesterone is good, spotting has stopped. Thoughts?!

Re: Early Ultrasound and conflicting information

• Options
    I thought the same thing... We leave to go back to Minnesota on Monday. I would go have the follow up u/s and then fly a few hours later which could be a recipe for disaster if he tells me something is wrong... He really did use the word "always"
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The heart starts beating around 6 weeks. I have seen a fetus at 6 weeks 1 day and no heart beat, but 48 later a heart beat. 1 or 2 days can make a huge difference.
    The usual standard is 7 days though. I have never seen a 3 day way for a repeat.
    Personally, I would just follow up with your OB in MN as you already scheduled.
  • Options
    With my second when I was 6 weeks 2 days and there wasn't a heartbeat.
  • Options
    I had an u/s at 6w from my LMP and they dated me at 5w4d and there was NO heartbeat. When i went for the followup two weeks later, there was a healthy embryo with heartbeat! I think you are right to question that doc, ive always been told that hb starts between 6 and 7 weeks. That was the exact reason why they booked my followup when i was around 7 and a half weeks, so that there would be something to see. I would wait and see ur doc in MN. Good luck!
  • Options
    I think you're right in questioning the info your doctor gave you, and personally, I'd look for another. "Always" a heartbeat at 5w4d? Seriously? Unless you had IVF, they can't even be %100 you are at that due date!
    Yeah...^That. I'd be questioning that, too. I'm thinking that you should just wait. 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options
    I'm with the pp I'm also in MN by the way. When people use statements such as always I usually side eye them. I've never heard of seeing the heart beat 5 weeks "always" as hard as it is wait for your appointment back home and don't go back to the one in fl. I'm guessing if they don't see it there it will just add probably unneeded stress to your plate :)
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Options
    mgarvichmgarvich member
    edited January 2016
    *Just wanted to update*
    I ended up going to the appointment because they moved another patient to fit me in and my next door neighbor who is an obgyn nurse practitioner said I should go but not take to heart the "always" comment. I went and we saw growth and fetal flicker (seen with some difficulty) so he said based on that, I was probably 5w3d since the heart will beat majorly at 5w4d... He is really set on that day isn't he?!?!?! Anyway, hoping to see a full on heartbeat February 5th in MN. I'm going to bring my printouts from my two ultrasounds and see what my doctor here thinks! Thanks for the input everyone!!
  • Options
    Glad you saw a flicker. I've also never heard of a firm day for the heart to start. I agree that taking your information from previous scans to your new OB office is a good idea. Maybe even give them a call this week to let them know what's going on. Best wishes.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker