April 2016 Moms

Rhogam Shot

So today marks my 28th week of my first pregnancy, so I got my first Rhogam Shot (yay, negative blood types...). I have to say I'm just glad to get it over with. For being a bigger needle, it was relatively painless for me, which the nurse said was surprising. I thought the bloodwork for the glucose test was more painful. I stayed 30 minutes after to be monitored for side effects and was fine. So I was wondering if any STMs out there have had adverse side effects to getting the Rhogam shot? And if you're an FTM, when are you getting your first Rhogam shot? Perhaps we could make this a thread where we can share our fears and stories. Or complain about having to explain it to family members! I don't know how many times I had to explain to my mom why I need a Rhogam shot (she's positive blood type so never needed it)!

Re: Rhogam Shot

• I'm also negative. I got one with my first and barely remember... Is it something I should be more concerned about this 2nd time??!
  • @vmsievert You will need a Rhogam shot with every pregnancy to prevent sensitizing to the RH factor if your baby ends up with positive blood. If you know that your partner is negative, you don't have to worry, but they will want to give it to you anyway. If there is a chance your baby is positive,  then the Rhogam shot will prevent your body from making antibodies against the Rh factor. If you do become sensitized to it and start to produce antibodies, it will not affect your current pregnancy, but all future pregnancies will be high risk and will cause anemia in the baby.

As far as I know, there should be no other concerns. Your ob-gyn would monitor sensitivity when they do bloodwork and would tell you if you were sensitized to Rh. But they did make me sign a form when I got the shot saying I was aware of side effects of the shot. I didn't have any side effects and was wondering if anyone on here ever had.

We never found out if my partner is positive or negative, so I have no idea if I have to worry about it. I just got the shot, so I should be fine for a bit.  

• Loading the player...
  • I got my first rogham shot when I started to bleed after our miscarriage in March but they only last four months.

I was supposed to get mine this morning at our pre-natal clinic appointment but apparently no one sent over the proper papers. They didn't know I was O negative and my husband was A positive and they don't give the shots on Saturdays. Now we have to go back on Tuesday. They were a little bit rude about it to be honest lol. As if it's our fault for the miscommunication? My husband kept kicking me gently under the table to remind me to keep my crazy pregnancy hormones to a minimum lol.
  • I've been waiting for my ID card to be able to get the shot. I'm also negative and week 28 is approaching fast so my midwife really wants me to have the shot asap. I'll pick up the card tomorrow and then call my midwife to make an appointment. Did not know it was a bigger needle. I hate needles :s

• ashlp631ashlp631 member
    edited January 2016
    I get mine tomorrow along with the TDAP AND my glucose test. Not to mention, I owe my 7 mos payment of over a grand. They really wanted me to suffer at this appointment :s

I am terrified of shots and of course my doctor told me the rhogam is a "painful" shot. Uhhhh thanks?
  •  @ashlp631 I'm starting to wonder if they gave it to me correctly because it didn't hurt as much as drawing the blood for the glucose test (I have to use hand veins to give blood). She even commented on how weird it was that it didn't really hurt for me. I guess I'm lucky? I dislike needles a lot, but have gotten so used to them since getting pregnant... :/
  • I'm mostly a lurker but I'm O negative and have had this shot twice now. They gave it to me in my upper arm and it's not that bad. I'm not big on needles so I just look the other direction and try and relax. It's not that bad.
  • I used Depo Provera for a long time prior TTC & the Rhogam shot reminded me of that. Not too painful, but more so than like say a flu shot & some lingering soreness.
  • Just got my rhogam and my TDAP. And my blood drawn. Blood draw (which doesn't freak me out) wasn't bad. And I cried when I had to get my shots.... They really make me anxious. The TDAP was in my arm and I honestly didn't know she even did it, but there is some soreness now. And the rhogam was in my hip/butt and it wasn't bad at all either, I hyped both up in my mind a ton. A little residual soreness but really not bad at all. Now I'm all vax'd up and ready to go.
  • I'm negative and my OB told me about the shot - warned if I ever had bleeding and went to the ER I would need to get it, otherwise at 28 and after delivery. I totally forgot about it though so I guess I'll be getting it at my appointment at the end of the month, because I'll be 28 weeks!
  • I got my first rogham shot when I started to bleed after our miscarriage in March but they only last four months. I was supposed to get mine this morning at our pre-natal clinic appointment but apparently no one sent over the proper papers. They didn't know I was O negative and my husband was A positive and they don't give the shots on Saturdays. Now we have to go back on Tuesday. They were a little bit rude about it to be honest lol. As if it's our fault for the miscommunication? My husband kept kicking me gently under the table to remind me to keep my crazy pregnancy hormones to a minimum lol.

This is not true. They don't have a life span.

If you are RH negative, you will get another rhogam shot before you leave the hospital to cover you for the first part of your next pregnancy (should you have another kid.)

**** Formerly Snoflakes4eva****

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @Sarcasm101 hmm that's really strange! I wonder why my doctor would tell me that? Thanks for letting me know. I think I will look into that :smile:
  • I'm pretty sure Rhogam has a life span or you would only need one shot of it in your lifetime, period. I was told the Rhogam shot was unnecessary for the first half of the pregnancy. That's why you don't immediately get your first one during your first pregnancy. The first Rhogam shot you should get is at 28 weeks of your first pregnancy, unless you suspect a sensitizing event has taken place during that pregnancy, such as a car crash or punch in the stomach. If you have not been sensitized, then during the next pregnancies, you will not need a Rhogam shot until 28 weeks for them as well. Getting a shot in the first 72 hours after birth is to prevent antibodies being made from the sensitizing of the birth itself, not to protect future pregnancies with Rhogam. You only need Rhogam during time periods where your body will produce RH antibodies, which is only during times when the baby's positive blood is inside and capable of mixing with yours. If for some reason you have started to create antibodies before Rhogam was administered, then Rhogam cannot help you. Once an antibody is made, it's there. Rhogam is given at 28 weeks to protect you from mixing because the baby is big enough to possibly cause bleeds from moving around. Birth is a sensitizing event, so it needs to be administered after birth, and like I said earlier, during any other suspected sensitizing event that would cause the baby to bleed. @beccamccann @Sarcasm101
  • @Bubbles3592 thank you for that really informative post. Makes perfect sense and it made me feel a lot better. :smile: