January 2016 Moms
Options

Why do people feel the need to text or message me asking if I had the baby yet?

1. If I was in labor I'm probably busy.
2. If the baby was here I would have announced it.
3. If I don't respond (which I have decided not to) you will piss me off even more if you then text my husband to ask. (Not a family member. Just a random person.)

I know you guys get it.

N (2004)A (2007), N (2010), and L (due 1/2016)

Re: Why do people feel the need to text or message me asking if I had the baby yet?

• Options
    They care about you
  • Options
    Its annoying. Ive had 7 texts from 7 people asking today. I agree. We will let you know.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's their weird way of showing they care. Albeit a little intrusive and obnoxious. But they care lol
  • Options
    I get they care. But it's too much. I'm already so emotional it just makes me crazy.
    I will honestly let you know. I promise.
  • Options
    It is annoying because there so many of them and they all ask the same thing. I assume you want the baby to be out now and it adds to the annoyance. Just imagine that every person is just one person in your life
  • Options
    I feel you! My mom bugs me every day and if I don't answer or respond quickly she assumes I must be in labor. Sorry busy with my other two children, but is annoyed that my grandma keeps calling her for updates. Ironic much? It was the worst with my first pregnancy but it's always annoying.
  • Options
    My friend texts everyday as a check in just to make sure baby is still in there from over night. He knows I'll tell him ASAP but it's the thought that counts. What's funnier is the people who I call to talk to, about normal things, that half way through go "wait is everything ok are you in labor?" My answer "geez this entire conversation would of been a million times different if I was... It would of started off with that"
  • Options
    Sometimes they're just showing they're thinking of you, sometimes they're just being nosy. It's annoying because we will tell people when it's time/when we want to, not when they ask. 

People should just stick to "How are you feeling?" instead, IMO. I like those messages. As long as they don't mind me complaining about my discomfort in my response!
  • Options
    leap_frog said:
    1. If I was in labor I'm probably busy. 2. If the baby was here I would have announced it. 3. If I don't respond (which I have decided not to) you will piss me off even more if you then text my husband to ask. (Not a family member. Just a random person.) I know you guys get it.
    Agreed with pp, they care about you. Not a bad predicament to be in :)
  • Options
    I get that people care, but I would appreciate a message more like "Hey, I was thinking of you. Hope everything is well and that you get to hold your baby soon!"
    You know, nothing that requires a response but let's you know they are there if you need them. It gets tiring trying to answer the same questions over and over and reassure THEM that you're ok and not in labor.
  • Options
    I think it's hilarious as well. I always want to say to a family member "Oh sorry. I delivered last month totally slipped my mind to tell you!" ;)
  • Options
    People want to share in your excitement. 
    I see this as a good "problem" to have.

I'd rather answer 10 texts from 10 different people asking the same question than not have anyone in my corner.
  • Options
    It's mostly annoying when you start getting texts from people who don't otherwise text you. It doesn't bother me if my best friend, sister, or mom ask but if the wife of a guy my husband works with is texting me, that's annoying!
  • Options
    If these people don't ordinarily text you, then I personally see no reason why that text denotes an immediate response, or one at all if that's to your preference; much less be seen as an annoyance.
  • Options
    I know they care but it's driving me crazy. After they ask, they feel the need to offer advice on how to get things going! If one more person tells me to have sex I might punch someone!!!
  • Options
  • Options
    EC2016 said:

It's mostly annoying when you start getting texts from people who don't otherwise text you. It doesn't bother me if my best friend, sister, or mom ask but if the wife of a guy my husband works with is texting me, that's annoying!

Yasssssss. Thank you.
  • Options
    I just say things along the lines of "I hope not", "I don't think so" and "Not that I know of." ...Maybe my sense of humour is just totally lame but it helps me laugh off the repetition.
  • Options
    I would also answer "I don't remember", but I have very few texts
  • Options
    I'm feeling the same way starting to grate me arrrrrr is that baby here yet?? Ummm NO NO NO and it's not my fault she not ready lol
  • Options
    One of my good friends has been texting me EVERY DAY asking if I've had the baby yet. She has two kids. And one of them is just a few weeks old. However she had a planned C-section so she didn't get bugged regarding this at all... everyone knew when baby was coming. 

I'm trying to tell myself that she is just excited to have another mommy friend with an itty-bitty baby. But I'm tired of being pregnant the question is not helping. :-)
  • Options
    I don't mind the question, personally. I know most people are just making conversation and/or generally care. What I do mind is them then telling me to go eat spicy foods, do jumping Jacks, etc. Especially from people I see at work but don't know. Excuse me but who are you and where did you get your medicine degree? Just stop.
  • Options
    I got a message from DH's aunt saying " I'm still waiting to hear the happy news". Oh yeah lady, YOU are still waiting? 

Baby #1: m/c at 5 weeks (2011)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Baby #3: missed m/c found at 11.5 weeks (2013)
    Baby #4: missed m/c at 10 weeks (2013)
    Baby #5: m/c at 6 weeks (2014)
    Baby #6: Saw a heartbeat at 7w, baby stopped growing at 7w1d, found at 8w u/s : d&c  (2014)

Hoping for my lucky #7 (one last try!)
  • Options
    Yesterday was my aunts birthday. She asked me if it was anyone else's birthday too. I really wanted to say I'm sure it's lots of people's birthday but I was being nice so I just said no. I now vow to never be this annoying to a pregnant woman ever.
  • Options
    By 830 am my phone has gone off 4 times with text messages asking if baby is here. Eeesh. DH has today off and I had planned on sleeping until 9. No such luck. I didn't respond to any of them yet.

And I don't feel good about silencing my phone because my grandma is quite sick and I need to be around it in case my mom calls with an update. (although, an hour or two of silence probably wouldn't hurt as if something does happen I can't really drive the hour to get right now anyway....)
  • Options
    My two best friends have been texting me daily or every other day asking where baby is and if somethings happening and it's getting quite annoying! They both have no babies of their own and yet one of them keeps giving me ideas of what to try at home to move things along! They both know I will let them know ASAP so i don't get it! On the other hand Ive had family, etc text me asking how I'm doing and that's a little less irritating bc I know they are just thinking of me but still! I also agree with @EC2016 I promise to NEVER taunt a pregnant person like this! Except maybe my two best friends who have done a good job of making me want to scream expletives at them if I get one more text!
  • Options
    Why not just send them all a text to stop texting you? You are pregnant and allowed to behave pretty much any way you want
  • Options
    LIly436 said:

Why not just send them all a text to stop texting you? You are pregnant and allowed to behave pretty much any way you want

I ended up putting something on Facebook warning people to stop with the any baby yet or unsolicited advice texts. Haven't gotten one since. It's marvelous.
  • Options
    I've started sending this picture to people who have already asked me once if the baby is here yet....

She's not even late yet! I'm 4 days out from my due date now. I know they all just care about me and are excited, but I feel like all of the calls and messages and advice are just giving me anxiety and making me feel like she's late.
  • Options
    Yesterday my OB walked in on my stress test and said: "Still pregnant?" I am barely 38 weeks...
  • Options
    claireloSCclaireloSC member
    edited January 2016
    Colleague of DW's asked me how I was. I responded "I'm well thanks! How's your dissertation going?" cause I know it's equally as annoying. Colleague and DW are PHD students so they are always stressed about their dissertation and this person's is overdue. I'm evil but I have no shame.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020