Trying to Get Pregnant

For TTC ladies planning a Caribbean/central/south america travel

***** Lurker, TW signature*****

Hello ladies! this have been discussed on my BMB and I remember reading that some girls here are planning vacations and cruises in a few months so I thought it might be important for you to know. There's currently a virus in the Caribbean/central/south america area  that cause a serious threat to pregnant women and the government advise against travelling. Also local authorities have advised women living in the are to  not to get pregnant. I know some girls on my BMB are losing money by having to cancel vacations. I know it's not recommended to act pregnant before being, but this might be a game changer for some
here's some link.

tw some are disturbing

https://www.caribbean360.com/news/dominican-republic-advises-women-against-pregnancy-while-zika-threat-continues
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/u-s-health-officials-consider-travel-warning-zika-virus-spreads-n496521

Re: For TTC ladies planning a Caribbean/central/south america travel

• Thanks for posting! I'm headed that way in February. I can't open the link on mobile but I'll check it out!

Me: 32 & DH: 37
    Married: November 2014
    TTC #1 Since: October 2015
    BFP #1: 11/18/15 - CP
    BFP #2: 2/8/16 - EDD 10/20/16
    IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• Just heard about this on NPR. Thanks for sharing! 
  • Loading the player...
  • @MRSCORKER someone on the July BMB said there's a map on the world health organization website.
  • So scary, thanks for sharing this.
    me . early 30's | h . mid 30's | < 3 . 2013

ntnp #2 . summer 2018

*siggy warning*

ttc#1 . jul 2015
    mmc . mar 2016 | 6w2d
    dx PCOS (non-IR) / subclinical hypothyroidism . summer 2016
    tx metformin, levothyroxine, LP progesterone, femara + trigger + ti . fall/winter 2016
    BFP! . jan 2017
    DD . oct 2017

• This is crazy!
    Me: 33 DH: 31
    DS: 5 years old
    TTC #2 since August 2015
    July 2016: Testing cycle with 100 mg Clomid = BFN
    August 2016: 50 mg Clomid + IUI = BFN
    October 2016: IVF#1 - 13 retrieved / 12 mature /  9 fertilized / 2 blasts
    November 2016: FET#1 = chemical
    January 2017: FET#2 = chemical
    March 2017: IVF#2 - 18 retrieved / 18 mature / 16 fertilized / 5 blasts
    April 24, 2017: FET#3 - BFN
    May 24, 2017: FET#4 - BFP! - Beta #1 151 - Beta #2 503 - Due date 2/9/18
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH and I were planning on going to PR in June to visit a friend  :/  Ugh...we've been planning to visit for almost a year.  
  • Yeah, it's called the Zika virus, and I emailed my OB/GYN to ask her about this yesterday! Depending on what she says, DH and I will have to have a talk about Puerto Rico.

:'(
    Me: 30 DH: 32 ~~ TTC #1: Sep 2015 ~~ BFP: Mar 2016 ~~ Daughter: Nov 2016
    TTC #2: April 2018 ~~ BFP: May 2018 ~~ EDD: January 2019

• Ughhh. I've got a pretty much non-refundable trip to the USVI in April. Hope this settles down, or we will be cancelling if I'm KU.
    Married 2011
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    Fur child: One awesome Golden Retriever
    IUI August 2016  : Cancelled due to polyp
    September 2016: Polyp removal/hysteroscopy
    October 2016: IUI #1- BFN
    November 2016: IUI #2- BFN
    December 2016: IUI #3 - BFN
    January/February 2017 - IVF + ICSI + PGD
    March 2017 - FET

• I really don't wanna TTA next cycle but it looks like we'll need to. I guess it's just one cycle but :(

IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• sarah0985sarah0985 member
    edited January 2016
    That's awful.
    I think a good compromise since we always advice "don't live like your pregnant" is pay the extra bit for a good coverage travel insurance. (I have never bought it but in this case, it'd be warranted. Better to be out a bit of insurance money, then to get a bfp and lose your trip and money or to not book and then not be pregnant either)
    I hope for those of you that have already booked and can't refund that this settles down.
    Also, @Mlight28 if you booked it on a credit card, some cards offer built in travel insurance in their terms. Would be worth looking into.

Otherwise this definitely doesn't seem to be something to mess around with if anyone gets pregnant.
    TTC1: May 2015
    Primary IF May 2016; Failed HSG; Scheduled Lap Sept. 2016
    BFP: August 22, 2016/EDD: April 29, 2017
    DD: May 1, 2017
    TTC2: June 2019
    CP September 2019
    Lap and repeat HSG scheduled December 2019
    BFP: November 24, 2019/EDD: August 2, 2020
  • I'm in the same position @MRSCORKER. We have a trip to Mexico booked for the end of February for my best friend's wedding, so I really wouldn't want to cancel. I have to talk to H about TTA for a cycle, even though I really don't want to, but if we did get KU this cycle I don't know that we could do the trip. Ugh.
  • For those of you who are going in a few months, it's probably not too late to get trip cancellation insurance. Lots of policies cover cancellation for even a healthy pregnancy. I looked into this pretty heavily when we did a dive trip a few years back. You just can't be pregnant yet when you buy the policy. Cancellation insurance for our plane tickets to Europe coming up was only $100, though that policy only covers pregnancy related medical problems, not healthy pregnancy. There are lots of companies, but I usually use Allianz.

Good luck to all with tough decisions to make...
  • I've been following this... Scary. My husband's family is going on a cruise in March and I can't go because of work, which I guess is turning out to be for the better.

I'm so sorry to everyone who has to make a decision to cancel a trip and/or TTA. I would be devastated.

Me: 28  DH: 28
    TTC #1 since Nov. 2015
    Dx: Both tubes blocked, PCOS, DOR, RPL
    IVF Cycle #1 Dec. 2016 - 11R·11M·5F - Transferred 2 - BFP - Miscarriage - 0 Embryos Left
    IVF Cycle #2 March 2017 - 5R·4M·3F - Transferred 1 -  BFP - Miscarriage - 0 Embryos Left
    Instagram: KateDoesIVF

• Hopefully this calms down! My brother is getting married in the Dominican in July. Hopefully already KTFU by then, but if not, would be a shame to miss trying for a while. I have already emailed our agent about insurance just in case it's still a threat :/
  • Always get travel insurance if you are planning an expensive trip! That way you can cancel without losing money if you do need to. I never bought it until my husband who never gets sick got really sick and ended up in the hospital on one of our trips. When we went to Italy a few months ago I was sure to get a good policy (didn't end up needing it), but peace of mind worth paying for it. 

• Thank you for posting this @jolydan.
    Married 5/21/2011
    DD 1 10/2012
    CP 9/2013
    DD 2 6/2014
    CP 3/2016        
     BFP 12/8/2016        
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Be careful to read the fine print if you do get travel insurance. Some will let you cancel for any reason. Others have specifications (i.e. Medical issue, death, disaster). DH and I have insurance for an upcoming trip and it specifically states that a regular healthy pregnancy is not a qualifying reason to cancel.
  • NamelessAriaNamelessAria member
    edited January 2016
    Wait so... if DH comes home sick from his cruise down to that part of the world... does that mean we have to TTA this month?

ETA: Ya know, because if he's sick there is a pretty good chance he'd regift the virus to me.
    Me: 28 Husband: 31
    TTC#1: January 2015- September 2016
    Infertility, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
    Rainbow baby born June 6, 2017  ❤️

Baby #2 due June 12, 2018
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Wait so... if DH comes home sick from his cruise down to that part of the world... does that mean we have to TTA this month?

ETA: Ya know, because if he's sick there is a pretty good chance he'd regift the virus to me.
    Zika virus is a vector borne virus, spread by Aedes mosquitoes. There are two cases where potential sexual transmission occurred. The virus can't spread through the air.
  • Wait so... if DH comes home sick from his cruise down to that part of the world... does that mean we have to TTA this month?

Zika virus is a vector borne virus, spread by Aedes mosquitoes. There are two cases where potential sexual transmission occurred. The virus can't spread through the air.
    Good to know! This makes me feel better. Now I don't have to worry about DH getting sick. ;)
    Me: 28 Husband: 31
    TTC#1: January 2015- September 2016
    Infertility, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
    Rainbow baby born June 6, 2017  ❤️

Baby #2 due June 12, 2018
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I've been stressed about this since it was posted on Friday. Going to Mexico the last week of February and really don't want to cancel. But getting an IUI this week and after 13 months of TTC we're beyond ready to get KU! I'm seeing my doctor in an hour for my follicle study and going to ask what she thinks I should do. I'll let you know what she says. I'm hoping it's just an over abundance of caution and that I'll just have to load up on bug spray.
    @MrsDho11 - did you hear back from your doc?
    @Housewifehobbyist - have you made a decision yet?

• @cwirth89 - not yet, but the office is closed today.  I expect I'll hear from her tomorrow, and I can update here if you ladies would like.

• @MrsDho11 Yes! Please do. I'd be really curious to hear what they say. My in-laws have a place in the Virgin Islands that we go to. Holding off on our February vacation there for other reasons, but was hoping to go in a few months. Really debating this given Zika.
    Me: 34
    Husband: 34
    Married: June 2014
  • I can't seem to find if this is affecting the west coast of Mexico yet.  We are going on a cruise there Sunday.  It's too late for me to TTA and also too late to cancel and get any refund.  Grrrr.  I guess I'll just slather myself in repellant.  Dammit.
  • edited January 2016
    Good luck ladies!  @MrsDho11 and @cwirth89 I'm interested in hearing what your doctors have to say!  Please come back and post!

As for me, I plan on going on the trip.  I'm not missing my best friend's wedding and being out $4K because I *might* get pregnant this cycle and I *might* get bit by a mosquito in Mexico and it *might* carry the zika virus, but I will be TTA this cycle and loading up on the deet bug spray in Mexico.  My February fertile week falls right when we're supposed to be on this trip, so I haven't decided if we'll TTA the following cycle as well.  I'll be interested to see how this story develops.

• I'll be in my FW next month on our trip too @housewifehobbyist. We will be TTA this cycle but not while on the trip. I will just load up on bug spray and avoid the jungle.

IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• chloe97chloe97 member
    edited January 2016
    We are going to Puerto Vallarta next week during my TWW. I haven't been able to track down anything that warns of a single case of Zika on the west coast of Mexico. It's a big country and from what I understand the brunt of the issues are in Brazil, which is far away from Mexico. If we hadn't already booked our trip and started to TTC, I may have done something differently, but I'm with the other posters who say I'm not going to completely change my life based on the very very very small chance that I'm pregnant, get bitten by a mosquito at a resort that sprays for them, and one of those mosquito just happens to be one that transmits the Zika virus. That's just crazy- such a small small percentage that all of these would happen. If I was going to Brazilian rainforest or another area that's been hard hit by the virus, however, I would cancel my trip for sure! Before you cancel your trip, research what's going on in the area where you are actually traveling.

Edited for clarity
  • My doctor basically said to check the cdc.gov website and this: I am not terribly familiar with the zika virus. However, in my experience, mosquito born illness can cause febrile illness and can increase the risk of problems in pregnancy. This is what I found on the cdc website. https://www.cdc.gov/zika/pregnancy/question-answers.html.
    Married 5/21/2011
    DD 1 10/2012
    CP 9/2013
    DD 2 6/2014
    CP 3/2016        
     BFP 12/8/2016        
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Great, I was reading this the day it was posted and now watching the news apparently there have been at least two confirmed cases of Zika where I live (South Florida) I knew it was only a matter of time since we have so many travelers in and out from the Caribbean and South America. Now I'm just curious to see how long it will take for me to see a case at work.
    Me: 32
    DH: 30
    DS: Born 10/21/2011
    Mirena Removal: 11/23/2015 
  • Also, I just want to add that if you read the CDC guidance, they just advise that if you are traveling to those areas and could potentially be pregnant to wear bug spray! I just invented in a spray bottle and a tube of lemon eucalyptus natural insect repellent. I lather myself up In sunscreen anyway, may as well do the same with bug spray!
  • Ally0221 said:

Great, I was reading this the day it was posted and now watching the news apparently there have been at least two confirmed cases of Zika where I live (South Florida) I knew it was only a matter of time since we have so many travelers in and out from the Caribbean and South America. Now I'm just curious to see how long it will take for me to see a case at work.

I haven't looked into the Florida cases, but the Hawaii case was someone who had been living in Brazil. My guess is that the Florida cases are also people who lived in or travelled to Latin American countries. It's only transmitted by the mosquito bites, so even if someone gets it in, say, Brazil and comes to Florida they're not spreading it to anyone else.

TTC #1 --- BFP #1 5/15, loss at 5 weeks --- BFP #2 12/15, loss at 4+3 --- RE testing 3/16 normal, still trying for our rainbow    

• Ally0221 said:

Great, I was reading this the day it was posted and now watching the news apparently there have been at least two confirmed cases of Zika where I live (South Florida) I knew it was only a matter of time since we have so many travelers in and out from the Caribbean and South America. Now I'm just curious to see how long it will take for me to see a case at work.

I haven't looked into the Florida cases, but the Hawaii case was someone who had been living in Brazil. My guess is that the Florida cases are also people who lived in or travelled to Latin American countries. It's only transmitted by the mosquito bites, so even if someone gets it in, say, Brazil and comes to Florida they're not spreading it to anyone else.
    I was wondering if the 2 in Florida had been to any of the areas where it's confirmed in mosquito. I'm certainly not an expert in this field (or close to it) but even if an infected mosquito (most likely single) were to "travel" here (say in a suitcase) id imagine that it would take more mosquitos than one to create a larger issue.

Does anyone know how the mosquitos are carrying/contracting the disease?
    TTC1: May 2015
    Primary IF May 2016; Failed HSG; Scheduled Lap Sept. 2016
    BFP: August 22, 2016/EDD: April 29, 2017
    DD: May 1, 2017
    TTC2: June 2019
    CP September 2019
    Lap and repeat HSG scheduled December 2019
    BFP: November 24, 2019/EDD: August 2, 2020
  • Well, kind of as I expected, my doc said that she's not going to tell me to cancel my trip, but that DH and I should talk it over and weigh the risks. Like PP have said, I might get bit by a mosquito that might have this virus that might have this particular strain, etc. Going to load up on the bug spray, the resort sprays for them too so that will help. ATM we are not canceling, but we just entered the TWW, so we'll decide more after that.
    @Sarah0985 - I've read that mosquitos have carried this virus for quite some time, much like West Nile, but that there's a new strain of the virus that's causing these birth defects.

• This is so super scary. We'll be TTA this cycle before our trip next month. I'm even a little worried about getting KU while on our trip as I'll be in my FW at the time. I'm going to LOAD UP on bug spray. 

IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• We're planning a trip to Nassau in May for my friend's wedding (I'm MOH, actually). We haven't booked our travel arrangements and after talking with a CSR from the travel insurance, I'm really not sure we will.

I know it seems like a gamble because I am not currently pregnant, but i've been trying long enough that I am not putting it off any longer. I'm really not sure what to do. 

Canceling due to perceived threat of Zika virus falls under "fear of traveling" which is only covered by a "Cancel for Any Reason" policy, in which the insured is still required to pay 50% of the total trip. 
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    TTC #1 - Nov '14
    BFP 2/3/16  EDD 10/16/16
    DS born 10/18

LFAF: Frankly Disturbing
  • @MrsDho11 I haven't heard back from my doc yet, she was out of the office today. We've decided to TTA this cycle. We leave 2/21 and I will hit my FW while we're away (as long as my cycle doesn't go crazy). I'm a little worried even about trying while we're on the cruise but I just don't want to live in fear. I mean, there's only a 20% chance we'll get KU anyway. I'm going to use bug spray when necessary and stick to the beach instead of hiking through the jungle which we were going to do. I feel like when I get bit, it's usually when hanging out outside at night and we'll be sailing at night anyway. I hope I'm not being naive, I've just been day dreaming about coming home KU and having a "cruise baby". I'm going to monitor the situation between now and then and see, maybe it will start to calm down in the next month.

IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• @MRSCORKER - I really and truly believe that is a perfectly valid, and possibly more emotionally healthy decision. :)  FX that you do get your cruise baby and all is well.  :)

Honestly, there were other bits about the trip I wasn't wildly excited about (though I was excited about PR and finally getting to go to somewhere I might get to brush up on my rusty Spanish a bit).  I think a different trip might have made me more willing to TTA and take the risk, but I'd be on the border either way, and it just kind of tipped me in the not direction.  And when DH realized I was leaning that way, he was definitely like, "hey, does that mean I can change my flights and go for less time" because we were definitely battling over the length of the trip and the fact that being a start-up cofounder makes him want to never take vacation and get grumpy at me when he has to be gone for more than a couple (as in literally two) days.

So I guess what I'm saying is that there are other factors combined with my overly cautious nature that tipped me in that direction, but like I said, good for you!  And I really hope you enjoy the cruise!  :wink: 

• andplusalso, I mean, the doc clearly said to TTA before, but go!  ;)