March 2016 Moms
Options

Belly measurements behind?

I went to the OB a few days ago and I'm currently 33 weeks and my stomach is measuring 27 and he stated that I was too small and behind on growth. I have always been a really small person, I started my pregnancy at 105 lbs, and I've gained about 25 lbs total. He scheduled me for another appointment next week to do a growth ultrasound. Anyone else having or has had the same problem before? My little one is still constantly moving around and kicking. I've just been a little curious as to if anyone else was experiencing this or had any experience with my issue. Thanks in advance for any advice/information!

Re: Belly measurements behind?

• Options
    Don't worry about it, especially until you have an ultrasound. I agree that belly measurements mean very little, unless it's extreme. I measured behind with my second and had ultrasounds that showed she was a little small, but nothing crazy. She was 7 lbs 7 oz at birth, so totally normal. I'm measuring behind with this one too, and I'm not worried about it. You've gained a normal amount of weight and are feeling lots of movements, so I wouldn't stress. Good luck at the ultrasound!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Agree, don't worry about it until you have an ultrasound. And even if she comes up small one that one, that doesn't have to mean anything. They might want to scan you every two weeks, just to keep you in check. Remember that the measurements are all based on averages. My baby is measuring small consistently, buy my doctors told me as long as baby is moving and being active like normal and keeps on growing along the curve, there is no need to worry! So just keep baby's movements in check, don't over do it and eat an extra bagel :)
  • Options
    At my appts my tech measures me so quickly that honestly I don't know why she even does it. I think at most they must just see if ive grown since last time. It doesn't seem to be accurate at all. Maybe this just means my office sucks, but it makes me think there must not be much emphasis on these measurements.
  • Options
    I agree about the belly measuring.  In all my pregnancies I've had times where I measured ahead and times where I measured behind.  I've literally never measured past 36 weeks on the tape, but had all my babies at 39-40 weeks and they were all plenty big.  I just run out of room for my uterus to expand.  With ds2 I measured small at 39 weeks and the u/s put him around 37 weeks, and he was born a week later weighing 8 lbs, so really, it's just a guess.  Enjoy getting the extra ultrasounds and definitely don't worry too much about it.  
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had the same thing at 28 weeks. She told me not to worry but ofcourse i did. At the scan they saw lo was measuring above average! The lady there told me that 9 out of 10 growth us because suspected little baby, baby's are measuring normal or above. At my appointment last week i measured perfect...So try not to worry!
  • Options
    Mine measured small and eventually I had an ultrasound to clear up issues.
  • Options
    I'm almost 34 weeks and my doctor hasn't measured me at all. She didn't with my 2 other children she delivered. I had a differen doctor for my first and he did measure me. My high risk ob hasn't measured me either for that matter. Maybe because I have an ultrasound before each visit.
  • Options
    With DD2 I measured really small the last couple months. We had multiple ultrasounds to check growth and eventually induced at 39weeks. She was born 5lbs7oz which was like 2nd percentile I believe.. She was perfectly healthy, just small :)
  • Options
    @levibrianaDo you think induction was necessary knowing what you know now? I'm just curious because it seems so many are when babies are on the smaller side, but end up having totally heathy kids. 
    imageimage

• Options
    I measured 5 week behind with my first baby and had an growth ultrasound to find out why. Baby measured right on time and he was 6.5 lbs when born. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    Bradley Houston - 04.01.13
  • Options
    LoALoA member
    I'm measuring a little behind too, but since both my other babies were smaller (6lbs and 5.5lbs) the doctor said she isn't worried, since I seem to just have small babies :blush:
  • Options
    I feel like it depends how you carry too. This one for me is ALL belly and I'm definitely bigger than I was the first time. But last time DD was nestled up under my ribs do it would have skewed the belly measurement. Honestly as long as you're feeling movement and the ultrasounds are relatively consistent I'd push back on them about judging based on these measurements. it would be one thing if they were seriously off like measuring 10 weeks or something but 27 to 32 doesn't seem to be that big of a discrepancy.
  • Options
    It also can depend on what time of day u go.... if you are a FTM or more... if you've eaten.... how much amniotic fluid u have etc. Lots of variables

I kinda wish docs would just stop. ... It is useless and causes lots of fear
  • Options
    I've been measuring 2 weeks ahead.. But I'm not taking it into account too much because I know my girl is healthy and everything! I do have a question though. I've heard that mothers who were born bigger tend to have bigger babies. Have you guys found this to me true. My mom tells me I was 9 pounds and something and now I'm wondering what to expect hahaha
  • Options
    I am also measured behind and everyone has been telling me that my tummy looks small for 31 weeks. I feel big though... just personally I guess. With DD, I was always measured ahead and she was born at 7lbs 5oz (around 50 percentile). This time around I'm not as healthy though, like I've been sick for a whole month and it is still lingering so I know I'm not gaining as much weight as last time.  But babies, as humans, come in all sizes, so as long as I'm not terribly behind, I wouldn't be worried.  
  • Options
    I agree to what people are saying here and wouldn't worry... I've been "measuring" 1-2 weeks further along putting me at 34ish weeks now when I am positive that I only just hit 33. I just spend a month in hospital and lost over 25lbs... My stomach is now non existent and my "bump" ( or maybe it was just a lot of belly ) has significantly deflated but baby is healthy, kicking constantly and her heart beat which was constantly monitored is perrrrfect..so, that's what matters right ? I'm guessing I'm measuring weeks behind now... So I really don't get the "science" to it all.
  • Options
    I'm in the measuring behind stage too - 32.5 weeks, measured at 30cm today. Dr is having me come in for an ultrasound in 2 weeks. Making me nervous, but I'm sure it will all be fine! Glad to know others are in the same boat too. Naominicolep what happened with your ultrasound?
  • Options
    I had an ultrasound appointment at my OB's office yesterday and he stated she was still really small and he was concerned so he scheduled me an appointment to meet with a high-risk doctor. I went to see the maternal fetal medicine doctor today for a more in-depth ultrasound and all is well! She's just tiny but she's very healthy! She's 4.8 lbs at 36 weeks.
  • Options
    I went in for an ultrasound yesterday (at 32 weeks) to check and see if my placenta has moved away from the cervix.  I asked my technician about the size of the baby since everyone kept telling me my tummy looks small and the OB said I am measuring a little behind.  Turns out everything looks good (placenta has moved to the size but not exactly very far away from the cervix so it depends on my OB's recommendation) and the baby is actually measuring a little ahead of schedule (already at around 4lbs).  He said the size of the tummy really doesn't matter as long as the package inside looks good. 
  • Options
    I've been measuring about 2 weeks ahead since week 24. We have our growth scan in a few weeks so we'll see for sure then! I'm not too worried about it though, I was 9lbs 12oz when born so I'm already expecting him to be a little big. I feel him moving ALL of the time and have a pretty short torso. As long as he is healthy, I'm happy!
  • Options
    Me too - I'm measuring about 4 weeks behind due to a hospital stay, they are not too concerned yet ... My obgyn just said that we will hope for a 6-7lb ish baby 
  • Options
    I wonder why my doctor has never told me how I'm measuring in comparison to where I should be. Every time she measures she just says good. I'll ask her the next time I go in, I'm curious as I feel like I should be bigger than I am.
  • Options
    I was measuring behind 2 appointments ago. I believe that was at 33 weeks. Now I'm measuring on track! I wouldn't worry too much about it, keep doing everything you're doing! If you were too small they'd let you know especially by this point. My baby is already almost 7 pounds and she has a little less than a month left. They're very good at playing catch up in there
  • Options
    My doctor never tells me how I'm doing, just yells out a number to the nurse.  We did have a growth scan and they said she is on the large end at 4lbs 13oz at 32wks.  I don't think the belly measurements mean much.
    BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"
  • Options
    Just had my last ultrasound at 34&3, and she is measuring in the 90th percentile! As in, my due date may have been a month off..and I may have a baby next week. She is already 8ish lbs. and up until now my measurements have been 2 weeks behind. Just goes to show that the numbers don't mean too much.. Not that I have any idea how she's fitting in there because I don't feel very big.. Lol 
  • Options
    Hi, I'm 36 weeks and 4 days and measuring just below the middle line on the graph. But instead of sending me to have growth scan there sending me to the consultant has any one else had this ? Will I be referred for a scan after this ? This is my first baby 
  • Options
    @srochey Not sure what below the middle line means. Did they give you a percentile or any specific reason they are referring you? From the sounds of it, you are measuring right below average which should not be any cause for concern at all. I'd recommend calling your doctor's office to find out exactly why you are being referred. 
    imageimage

• Options
    Is anyone getting followup scans? I had a growth scan at 33+1 due to a high bp spike and decreased fetal movement. I was measuring 1 week ahead with an approximate weight of 5lb11oz (everything was totally fine btw she had just turned some wierd way that i couldnt feel easily) my midwife has ordered a followup scan for monday though, i will be 36+5  even though bp and movement have been fine since then. I dont know percentiles or anything does that seem like a big/small weight for 33w? (I am aware that they can be off, and i will be asking my mw, but scan is monday and my appt with her is wednesday)
  • Options
    Is anyone getting followup scans? I had a growth scan at 33+1 due to a high bp spike and decreased fetal movement. I was measuring 1 week ahead with an approximate weight of 5lb11oz (everything was totally fine btw she had just turned some wierd way that i couldnt feel easily) my midwife has ordered a followup scan for monday though, i will be 36+5  even though bp and movement have been fine since then. I dont know percentiles or anything does that seem like a big/small weight for 33w? (I am aware that they can be off, and i will be asking my mw, but scan is monday and my appt with her is wednesday)
    I had an ultrasound at 34 weeks. Baby was 5lbs 3oz - I was told that was in the 40th percentile. Estimated to be about 8lbs at birth. 
  • Options
    @clairemwalker I had a follow up scheduled for 38 weeks to make sure everything is ok. At 35 weeks he was in 46% so no longer IUGR, but they just want to make certain, I believe. 
    imageimage