February 2016 Moms
Options

C-SECTION OR VAGINAL?

My dr is giving me the option to have a vaginal or cesarean birth because years ago I had to have a spinal fusion due to scoliosis. Because of this, I cannot have an epidural so if I opt for vaginal I would only be able to have pain relief through an IV drug such as demerol which I've heard can affect the baby. If I opt for cesarean, they can try to give me a spinal however if its unsuccessful, I'd have to be put to sleep. I'm undecided as to which to choose. I'm leaning more towards vaginal but wanted to get some insight as to what some others suggested. 

Re: C-SECTION OR VAGINAL?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with VitaLuna and alib03. I would also try for a vaginal birth. It's a great point and so true that you can opt for a c-section during labor. It doesn't work the other way around :) Once you're having a c-section, there's no turning back (for this birth). 

If you decide to try for a vaginal birth you can research and practice relaxation techniques and other natural methods of pain management before you go into labor so that you're more prepared to handle the pain. 
  • Options
    I'd also try for a vaginal birth. The risks associated with general anesthesia are too great for such an important time. I wouldn't want to be out of it for the first several hours of my child's life.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    justeeen said:
     I would also try for a vaginal birth. It's a great point and so true that you can opt for a c-section during labor. It doesn't work the other way around :) Once you're having a c-section, there's no turning back (for this birth). 

Good point...thank you!

• Options
    I'd definitely try vaginally first if you can. I didn't have an epidural with my second and I remember it being the absolute worst pain of my life. But once it was over, baby was immediately in my arms and it all became worth it. Plus the experience of pushing a baby out is so amazing.. Those last few seconds as she/he comes out is so powerful. I'm being forced to have a c section this time around and I'm really resentful of it. I'd give anything to give birth vaginally again. But anyways back on point.. everyone is different. And if the pain or it all becomes to much then def don't feel bad opting for a c section. I just think it's worth it to give it a shot before going that route!
    Baby #3 due February. Dx with Spina Bifida Myelo  "good things are coming down the road, just don't stop walking"
  • Options
    I would personally try for a vaginal birth. I've had 3, 2 without an epidural. You can do it!! But yes just like others have mentioned you can always go for the c-section if you cannot bare the pain etc.
  • Options
    Like these ladies have all said I would try vaginal first. I'm having a c section for the first time this time and I'm not looking forward to it. I went without the epidural for both of my first two.
  • Options
    Trying for a vaginal birth. I'm on blood thinners so we're trying to not have a c-section

Mommy to my Angel baby Domenico Anjelo M/C 11 weeks 12/20/2014
    C/P 4/15/2015 5 weeks
    BFP 6/15 /15 Due: 2/25/16

• Options
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate all of your advice! Good points made. 
  • Options
    I'll just chime in with this: c-sections aren't that bad. Mine was medically necessary and an emergency, but recovery was totally fine and I wasn't out of it for hours after or anything. If you opt for it and schedule it, it probably won't be that big of a deal. There are risks you should definitely think about, of course, and not everyone has such a peachy experience, but please don't feel like it's this big bad awful thing. It's not.
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Options
    I also had a spinal fusion due to scoliosis and delivered my 1st baby with epidural. Im currently pregnant with my second. My experience has been that doctors do not know too much about spinal fusions and epidurals (OB/GYN). You need to ask the doctor to refer you for a consultation to the head anesthesiologist at the hospital your planning to deliver at. I am fused til L4 and my most recent consult (2nd time) said that they can do an epidural btw L4 and L5 or even L5 and S1. Additionally, the place for a spinal is the same place they do an epidural. If they can't get either in they will have to do general anesthesia for a C section. Please do yourself a favor and consult with the anesthesia team before you schedule a C-section. How far does your fusion extend? P
  • Options

I'll just chime in with this: c-sections aren't that bad. Mine was medically necessary and an emergency, but recovery was totally fine and I wasn't out of it for hours after or anything. If you opt for it and schedule it, it probably won't be that big of a deal. There are risks you should definitely think about, of course, and not everyone has such a peachy experience, but please don't feel like it's this big bad awful thing. It's not.

She would be out of it though since they'd have to do general anesthesia.

• Options

She would be out of it though since they'd have to do general anesthesia.
    Whoops, didn't read closely enough.
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Options
    Whoops, didn't read closely enough.
    I just didn't want you thinking I'm trying to steer anyone away based on untruths. I may very well end up with a c-section.

• Options
    I hear such opposite recovery stories from C section ladies. I have two friends who recovered so well from their C sections and swear that it is so much easier than vaginal delivery; they were up and walking around right after, and was fully mobile within a week or two and no significant pain problems. But then I have a friend and a family member who had such hard times recovering from their C sections; they couldn't even move or do stairs for several weeks. They were in so much pain and etc. 
    I had a vaginal delivery last time, but with epidural. The epi reaction was text book perfect and the delivery was not painful. However, the recovery wasn't great and took a long time with my 3rd degree tear ( I was in pain for several weeks during any peeing or bowel movements and even after being cleared at my follow up 6 week appt, sex hurt so bad for several months after). So I am hoping for another vaginal delivery this time, because even though the recovery wasn't ideal, I feel like I know what to expect. 
    I do have a coworker who, due to some complications during delivery, ended up with an emergency c section with general anesthesia. She talked about how she felt robbed of the experience of meeting her daughter and her first memories of her daughter are unclear and fuzzy.
    I think it is a great idea like PP suggested, to consult with an anesthesiologist about your options. Maybe they can shed some light on whether or not you can get an epi and how successful it would be. 

September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • Options
    I had a spinal fusion in 2011 and I am praying for a VBAC with this one (had a c-section in 2006 with my first child). I would rather go through a vaginal birth with NO medication than to have to heal from another c-section!
  • Options
    I had an unmedicated vaginal birth with my first. Don't get me wrong, it hurt like hell. (maybe beyond hell, if there is such a thing). but then it's over AND you have a baby. So I'd say go for it. Women delivered babies for many, many, many, many years without pain meds.

However, you can at least rest assured that if you need intervention it is there for you.
  • Options
    My c section was 10x harder on me physically than my vaginal birth!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I know I am late to respond but I had spinal surgery  (L5S1) several years ago.  My neuro did not believe I would be able to have an epidural.   I have no desire for one so that is fine with me.  I am giving birth at a birthing center.  If I should need a c-section, I fear being put to sleep for it.  Hoping it doesn't come to that.  Good luck! 
  • Options
    I had an emergency c-section with my first, after 2.5 hrs of pushing. My recovery was more difficult than with my second who was a planned c-section. I would listen to the advice of meeting with anesthesia, I think it could help you make your decision.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml