February 2016 Moms

STM's dilating early?

I'm a STM but was induced at 37 weeks with my DD for preeclampsia. I was not dilated at all when I was induced and it resulted in a grueling 24hr labor. I'm really hoping to go into labor on my own this time. I had my 34 week appointment yesterday and am dilated to 1. I know it can stay like that for weeks and not progress but it got me excited. So, did you dilate early and go into labor on your own? Or how did you progress? I feel new to all of it because of my induction with my daughter.

Re: STM's dilating early?

• w/ DS, I was induced at 40 weeks for hypertension and was only 1 cm.  W/ DD, I was 3 cm at 36 weeks but was induced at 39 weeks.  So while I did dilate earlier...it didn't mean much.  It only changed the method of induction.  That said, it still made me feel better to know I was dilated that much so early...I will see tomorrow where I am w/ this LO.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • lilqt3929lilqt3929 member
    edited December 2015
    My OB doesn't check to see if your dialated, at least with my 1st pregnancy I was never checked. Are you asking to be checked or is that a normal procedure at your Dr's office?

ETA: I had DD at 39w4d with labor starting on its own.
  • Loading the player...
  • Every person and pregnancy is different. My first and second were both 5 days early. With both I was 1 cm at 36 weeks. With my first I ended up at 3 cm at 39 weeks. With my second I was 4 cm at 37 weeks and stayed that way until I went into labor. I'm 34 1/2 weeks now and haven't had an internal yet so who knows.

• TTM here. As of two weeks ago I was dilated to a 1. That was at 33 weeks. I have not been checked since. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • With my first I was dilated to 3 for the last 6 weeks of my pregnancy. Nothing changed during that whole time. This pregnancy my midwife hasn't checked for that yet, and I'm not sure if she will... I guess we shall see!

View Full Size Image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Losses:
     7/16/2014 @ 7 Weeks 2 days
     2/01/2015 @ 4 Weeks 4 days

• So interesting to see how everyone progresses differently! Getting checked is standard procedure at my ob office. I think I'd go a bit crazy not knowing. I'm really hoping to go into labor on my own!
  • dtaded13 said:

So interesting to see how everyone progresses differently! Getting checked is standard procedure at my ob office. I think I'd go a bit crazy not knowing. I'm really hoping to go into labor on my own!

Interesting how different everyone is and everyone's Dr's are as well. I think this is one of those things that can drive you crazy either way, not knowing or knowing. Knowing you're 3cm doesn't mean anything seeing as many people stay that way for weeks and some even still need induction to get things moving.
  • I read somewhere that effacement is actually a better predictor of how soon you will go into labor (as opposed to cm dilated). Anyone else read/hear something similar?

With my first, I was 70% effaced and 0cm at 36 weeks and my water broke A few days later. I didn't have any contractions though for 12 hours and then got pitocin and I was still 70% 0cm at that point. Baby was born 5 hours later though so I guess once things got moving, it went quickly.
  • With my first I was 1cm and 50% effaced for several weeks. I didn't go into labor until 40w2d and was in labor for 27 hours so she was born at 40w3d. Didn't really make a difference. She decided she was good and ready on her terms lol
  • My doctor doesn't typically check until 38 weeks so with my first I have no idea as I went into labor at 37w6d.  with #2 I was feeling a lot of pressure at 35 weeks and my doctor was already down there doing the Strep swab so I asked him if he could check.  I was at 2cm, and I stayed that way until i went into labor at 39w2d.  So this time I almost just don't want to know b/c it drove me crazy knowing.  I want to know but i don't at the same time.  I would just take it for what it is.  Your body is making some progress.  that's all.
    My Baby Penguins
    DD1: 9/19/11
    DS: 1/1/14
    DD2: 1/31/16

• My doctor doesn't start checking till 36 weeks. With DS I was dialated to 3 cm at 37 weeks. I stayed that way till 39 weeks when I went to 3.5. Ended up having to eventually be induced. Hoping labor will start on its own and go quickly this time. I've learned you can be dialated far and not have it mean a single thing.
    BabyFruit Ticker image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • With DD I was thick and closed at 39 weeks which is when I was induced. Which is 0% effaced and 0 dilated. Had her 20hours later
    This time I'm the same and Doctor said it was like Fort Knox down there lol.
    I know it doesn't mean anything about when you'll go into labor but just being 1cm dilated would just make me feel better knowing that my body can start things on its own. I really don't want to be induced again
  • With DD I was thick and closed at 39 weeks which is when I was induced. Which is 0% effaced and 0 dilated. Had her 20hours later
    I know it doesn't mean anything about when you'll go into labor but just being 1cm dilated would just make me feel better knowing that my body can start things on its own. I really don't want to be induced again
  • baya5 said:

With DD I was thick and closed at 39 weeks which is when I was induced. Which is 0% effaced and 0 dilated. Had her 20hours later

Totally agree! You worded it better than me. I know being at 1cm means nothing but it has made me feel better knowing my body is capable of doing it on its own. When I was induced at 37 weeks with DD it took a full 12 hours of pitocin for me to go from 0-1cm. That first 12 hours was the worst and I really really don't want to go through that again!
  • @Kiek I think that we might live parallel lives sometimes. I was 1-2cm and 60% effaced for 4 weeks with DD. Contractions started at 40w2d and I delivered approximately 30 hours later... 40w4d.
  • With all my kids I was dilated to 1cm at 36 weeks until the day I had them.
    My son came at 40 weeks +4, on his own
    My first daughter came at 40 weeks +1
    My second daughter came at 40 weeks +5
    But I asked to be induced with both my daughters due to their size and past history of me delivering bigger than average size babies. So they definitely would of baked longer. Labored only for 2 hours give or take with each baby. I have my next ob apt at 36+1 so I guess I will see if I'm dilated at all. I will be waiting for my next baby to come on his own.
  • Wow I didn't realize it was common to get checked so early. Around here they don't examine you or do anything until your 38 weeks. I never made it to 38 weeks with either of mine so I have no idea what I was at in the couple weeks before birth, but it would be interesting to know that info.
    Baby #3 due February. Dx with Spina Bifida Myelo  "good things are coming down the road, just don't stop walking"
  • I'm being checked at 35+4 next week.
    Last time round I was induced at 36+4 and I was 0 dilated at the start. 24 hours of induction failed with both cytotec and pitocin. After 24 hours they admitted me for bed rest and were going to try again at 37 weeks but my water broke that morning. Just under another 24 hours and baby boy arrived. I'd like to avoid all that again if possible and would love it if I was even 1cm dilated ahead of my induction on 2/1 do that mentally I feel like my body can do it again because as it gets closer I'm remembering how dang miserable it was last time round!
  • edited December 2015
    dtaded13 said:

So interesting to see how everyone progresses differently! Getting checked is standard procedure at my ob office. I think I'd go a bit crazy not knowing. I'm really hoping to go into labor on my own!

When you get checked at your OB office, is it painful? I never got that far with my last pregnancy because they induced me due to a complication at 36 weeks. I do remember when I got cervical checks during my labor, it was the most painful thing I've ever experienced. It was worse than the unmedicated contractions.

*edited because autocorrect sucks.
  • dtaded13 said:

When you get checked at your OB office, is it painful? I never got that far with my last pregnancy because they induced me due to a complication at 36 weeks. I do remember when I got cervical checks during my labor, it was the most painful thing I've ever experienced. It was worse than the unmedicated contractions.

*edited because autocorrect sucks.
    This might sound terribly wrong but it actually hardly hurt at all this time. Maybe because my OB has little hands? Haha. He is a short skinny guy. My last OB was a big burly guy with big hands and when I was in labor the checks killed!!! Or maybe it hurts worse in labor because you're already in pain. I remember crying when I was checked with DD during labor.
  • @Life is Exciting I don't think it hurts just uncomfortable sometimes. However with DD I once had a nursing student check and it was the most painful thing ever. So I think it depends on who's doing it
  • So interesting to see how everyone progresses differently! Getting checked is standard procedure at my ob office. I think I'd go a bit crazy not knowing. I'm really hoping to go into labor on my own!
    When you get checked at your OB office, is it painful? I never got that far with my last pregnancy because they induced me due to a complication at 36 weeks. I do remember when I got cervical checks during my labor, it was the most painful thing I've ever experienced. It was worse than the unmedicated contractions. *edited because autocorrect sucks.
    It never bothered me, even the when I had my membranes stripped. I think it depends on the person and who is checking it.

• @Life is Exciting with mine it was like the pap, uncomfortable and slightly painful. But I also always passed out afterwards. My ob said this happens to some women whenever their cervix is touched. I get one tomorrow w my strep b and otherwise I will be foregoing them all!
  • I've found women drs super gentle, with DS I saw an on call dr at my OB office, older guy and he fished around in there like he'd lost something, worst experience ever!
  • Achae said:
    @Life is Exciting with mine it was like the pap, uncomfortable and slightly painful. But I also always passed out afterwards. My ob said this happens to some women whenever their cervix is touched. I get one tomorrow w my strep b and otherwise I will be foregoing them all!

I got mine checked at my 36 week appointment on Tuesday and it really didn't hurt (uncomfortable, yes, but it didn't hurt).  The midwife who was seeing me said that it has a tendency to hurt more when you're checked while in labor and that the only thing I can really do is ask that the checks be limited.  I wrote it into my birth plan for this time around!
  • STM and just got checked at my 35 weeks appt this week when they did my strep test. I am already 50% effaced and 1 cm dialated. My doctor wants me to go to the hospital with any contractions as I went into labor early with my first. I had to receive shots to stop my labor at 33 and 36 weeks. This held off having him until 39 weeks. I don't really remember what my dialation was with my first but I know I wasn't this effaced so early. it seems like this little one might want to may make any early appearance. I am hoping to make it a few more weeks.
  • STM and just got checked at my 35 weeks appt this week when they did my strep test. I am already 50% effaced and 1 cm dialated. My doctor wants me to go to the hospital with any contractions as I went into labor early with my first. I had to receive shots to stop my labor at 33 and 36 weeks. This held off having him until 39 weeks. I don't really remember what my dialation was with my first but I know I wasn't this effaced so early. it seems like this little one might want to may make any early appearance. I am hoping to make it a few more weeks.
    Good to know your doctor is being cautious. Sounds like they're taking good care of you. Best of luck!

• @g8trkim thank you!!! So hard to believe it's time already!
  • Since your cervix generally isn't a good indicator of when you will go into labor, my OB said she doesn't plan to check my cervix unless I'm having contractions or they are concerned for any reason after 36 weeks. Of course, I can opt to be checked if I really want to know. Here is an interesting read: https://bellyupbaby.blogspot.com/2011/05/your-cervix-is-not-crystal-ball.html?m=1
  • I definitely agree dilation and effacement can be totally misleading in the early stages! Ha
    But I thought I would share my experience yesterday. Tuesday evening I was having at least two an hour contractions from 5p-11p then finally fell asleep. Woke up still having them very mild though but between 7a-10a they were really getting very close. My dr told me to go to L&D and they said I was 2cm dilated ,long but soft! I am 34weeks 3days and they told me they would not do anything to stop labor at this point because they don't believe it to be advantageous To the baby! So they sent me home. The contractions have chilled out so far today but I have a constant aching like menstrual cramps so I am unsure of what my body is trying to do! I want her to stay in at least 3 more weeks to 37 but my body hasn't gone back to a relaxed pain free state in two days now! At this point just praying that if she does debut early that she will be healthy! But I'm definitely taking stock in the fact I know you can be in early labor for a very long time!