February 2016 Moms
Options

Sore throat?

What works best for a sore throat that's baby safe?

I was sick a few months back but I never had to take anything more than Tylenol cold & flu and I can't for the life of me remember what was approved for sore throats. 

Re: Sore throat?

• Options
    Tylenol, plain cough drops are on my approved list- there might be more though.

I've been using the usuals - hot drinks (lots of decaf tea), humidifier, oj.

Feel better!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I make this concoction - we call it my magic potion - whenever I feel a cold or sore throat coming on, preggo or not. I am amazed at how well it soothes and heals. Cut up a lemon and an orange, some big chunks of fresh ginger, 5 or 6 garlic cloves (peeled) and pour a few tablespoons of honey over everything. Add boiling water, let it steep for 15 min and start sipping.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies! 
  • Options
    I've heard, but haven't tried, that marshmallows are supposed to help a sore throat.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @DrillSergeantCat Would the marshmallows in rice krispy treats do the same?  :)

I can't do straight up marshmallows after a bad experience in elementary school.
  • Options
    @DrillSergeantCat Would the marshmallows in rice krispy treats do the same?  :)

I can't do straight up marshmallows after a bad experience in elementary school.
    I don't know, it's one of those Pinterest things I've seen and pinned but never tried.

• Options
    Game on @DrillSergeantCat   Now I have a good excuse to buy marshmallows :)
    My Baby Penguins
    DD1: 9/19/11
    DS: 1/1/14
    DD2: 1/31/16

• Options
    Game on @DrillSergeantCat   Now I have a good excuse to buy marshmallows :)
    You need an excuse?

• Options
    lol probably not but it makes for a REALLY good one ;)
    My Baby Penguins
    DD1: 9/19/11
    DS: 1/1/14
    DD2: 1/31/16

• Options
    Great, now all I'm thinking about is how nice it would be to sit around a campfire and make s'mores..
    That's it. Im going to the store.
  • Options
    My husband was going to the store tonight and he's now picking up rice krispie treats...
  • Options
    I like the more natural approach so I usually take a gulp of vinegar and sip on a good bit of warm tea with local pure honey. Usually knocks it right on out. You can also boil about an inch of ginger root and a clove of garlic with your tea if you develop "cold like" symptoms.

DS (2.29.16) via Homebirth

~ Proverbs 22:6 ~

• Options
    @funkypineapple  now the only thing on my mind is your bad marshmallow experience and I am SUPER intrigued lol. Hoping you feel better though! I have just been drinking lots of warm drinks when I have had a sore throat lately. It's helped. Always with honey ;)
  • Options
    @oxsarah7ox LOL! Ok, so why plain marshmallows make me gag:

When I was in 2nd grade my school was doing a sensory day so we could understand people who had sensory disabilities better. They set up a table to represent loss of each sense so we were rotating among the tables.

Well during the portion where we were simulating loss of hearing and speech, we had to have huge noise canceling headphones on and then stuff our mouths with the giant marshmallows until we couldn't fit anymore in our mouths then try to communicate with the other kids at our table for a specific amount of time.

During that time the marshmallows started melting and we weren't allowed to spit them out otherwise we'd have to start over and there was no way I was going to go through that again so the whole time I was just sitting there trying not to choke on these marshmallows and it was just horrible.

I didn't really care for plain marshmallows before then but now every time one is in front of me, I remember that and just can't. 
  • Options
    Holy crap @funkypineapple that truly sounds awful, and also really sad because I love marshmallows. Good luck with hot drinks instead then lol.

• Options
    @funkypineapple sounds like a great idea in theory as far as trying to make people understand, but it sounds awful. What if a kid choked..? And just eww. All I can think of is sticky drool and everyone making gag noises. I know that was a while ago, since you said 2nd grade, but I am just so sorry you went through that.. Yeeesh!