May 2016 Moms
Options

Trouble sleeping

Between my hands and feet getting pins and needles to my ribs feeling like they are pressing into my lungs I just can't sleep. And finding to right position to sleep in is a miracle until I have to destroy the moment running to use the bathroom. I have been like this since the early weeks but it's getting worse. I spoke to the doctor about she didn't seem to even care which was just frustrating.

Re: Trouble sleeping

• Options
    Are you not naturally a side sleeper? Sometimes it can just take a bit to get used to a new position.

Personally I can't sleep laying on my arms because they fall asleep. I also can't lay my ear directly on the pillow unless I want to wake up with terrible ear pain.

What I do is set up two pillow at an incline so my neck stays at a straight angle, stick my elbows out away from me at the side and draw them in under my ear that's near the pillow.

It just takes practice. I'm sure you'll find a position that works for you.
  • Options
    It takes me forever to fall asleep usually and with getting up several times a night now to go to the bathroom I haven't been sleeping very well either. On the weekends I can generally try to supplement with naps and such but during the week I'm ready to go to bed before I even leave work for the day.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I am still sleeping on my stomach, but I think there was a growth burst and the stomach sleeping days are numbered!

Baby # 1: BFP 10/26/12: Baby girl born 7/1/13
    Baby #2: BFP 9/2/15: EDD 5/15/16
  • Options

I am still sleeping on my stomach, but I think there was a growth burst and the stomach sleeping days are numbered!

I have been mostly but I think I'm there with you... It's slowly been getting more and more uncomfortable for me. :(
  • Options
    weeks ago my right hip started getting numb and very uncomfortable in bed. Just last night it actually started to hurt laying on the right side. My hip bone had almost hot pain. Wondering if a body pillow will help alleviate that. Has anyone tried a pillow?
  • Options
    I got a pregnancy pillow and I feel it's helped with my hip pain. I used to sleep on my back all the time and the doctor told me to try to stop doing that while I'm pregnant. So this helps me not as easily roll onto my back too.

Together 11/2008
    Married 9/29/2012
    BFP #1 8/26/15
    EDD 5/6/2016
  • Options
    Body pillow helped hip pains I was having but no so much with other pains. That and I tend to move a lot so I may be laying in some odd positions with it. Sometimes when I wake up my husband is cuddling it lol.
  • Options
    Something is keeping me up. I don't have back pain anymore or any hip pain. I just keep waking up and it's hard to go back to sleep. I don't know if I'm too aware of my movements. I found myself sleeping in my stomach at one point and freaked out but now I have no idea what is happening.
    I almost wish I had a pain so this would be logical.

When my back did hurt- I used a pillow between my legs and it helped.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Seriously a Snoogle pillow! Best thing ever! Expensive (atleast I thought for a pillow) around $60 but its worth it! I got one 2 weeks ago after my friend who just had a baby recommend it. She said it helps now and especially in the 3rd tri and while feeding the newborn in the middle of the night so you dont have to hold him up just rest him on the pillow.
  • Options
    This!! Ohmigod. I cannot sleep well to save my life these days. I just hit the 2nd trimester, so I keep waiting to not be so tired, but no luck. I'm naturally a stomach or back sleeper. When I sleep on my side, my shoulder falls asleep, so I feel like all night I am switching from one side to the other because of the pain. My neck is feeling pretty sore too!
  • Options

Back at 8 weeks my doctor recommended taking Unisom to help sleep and it has helped incredibly! I still wake up throughout the night to pee and move around, but I'm able to go right back to sleep and not wake up groggy, which is a huge plus! On nights that I either chose not to take it (weekends) or when I forget to take it during the work week I can tell the difference. I toss and turn a lot more and am up for long periods of time throughout the night trying to fall back asleep.

Prior to being pregnant I was a huge stomach sleeper. Once I found out I was pregnant I tried sleeping in other positions, which was hell, but thankfully it's paid off. I've noticed that sometimes I do end up somewhat on my stomach and it's starting to get uncomfortable so I'm glad I started trying to break the habit back during the 1st trimester. I did try the pillow between the knees trick and it didn't work for me, I move around too much.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm a stomach sleeper.  I've been trying to sleep on my side, but I usually wake up either half on or fully on my stomach anyway.  Not sure what to do about that!
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My biggest thing is my arms falling asleep it wakes me out of a sound sleep I wish my doctor cared enough about it to address it.
  • Options
    Sorry to drag this thread back up, but has any ladies felt like their pregnancy pillow made the pins and needles worse?

I wake up with my hands completely numb (so I struggle with making the coffee haha) and not sure if it's because of the pillow or if it's just a new symptom? It only started after I got the pillow.
  • Options
    I have been waking up with numb hands too, but have been attributing it to the fact that I always wake up flat on my back  :#  I don't know how to stop!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Sorry to drag this thread back up, but has any ladies felt like their pregnancy pillow made the pins and needles worse? I wake up with my hands completely numb (so I struggle with making the coffee haha) and not sure if it's because of the pillow or if it's just a new symptom? It only started after I got the pillow.

Pay attention to how you wake up and what position you find yourself in. You may be cutting off circulation somewhere and not realizing it. I rarely sleep with my body pillow as its not very fluffy and is too wide to support me. I find that lots and lots of regular pillows help me a lot more.
  • Options
    I just got a snoogle on Friday. It's taking me some time to get used to it. My hips and back hurt depending on sleeping position with or without the pillow. I think it's going to take me a few more nights to figure out how I like it. The first night I woke up with my neck sore! But besides that I had slept great.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    I'm not sure about the Snoogle. I liked it at first but lately I've just been rolling it up, and using it more or less like a regular pillow. Maybe I'll find it more helpful later in the pregnancy?
  • Options
    Seriously, the snoogle is a lifesaver.  One of my friends got me one a couple months ago. At first, I thought it was just bulky and weird to get in and out of.  I ended up setting it aside and tired to sleep normally, but have been having more and more trouble getting to sleep and STAYING asleep.  Seemed like I was waking up every hour or half hour to shift positions or to pee.  And every few days I would wake up in the middle of the night and just could NOT fall back asleep no matter what I did.  Finally decided to try the pillow again, experimented with positions until it felt right, and now I am sleeping "normally" again!!  I've only been waking up a couple of times to pee and I fall right back to sleep immediately.  I have no idea how it works, but it really really does.

And on another note that may be TMI...it's so much more satisfying to go to the restroom only a couple of times a night and actually have a full bladder to empty.  I was getting super sick of all those "trickle" trips...
  • Options
    At 20.4 weeks, I fall asleep on my side, but often wake up on my back.  Anybody else?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!

• Options
    I posted this info on the weekly ticker change thread recently.  You might find it helpful:

I have been sleeping on my left side with my body pillow against my back, the bottom curve of the body pillow between my knees, a foam wedge pillow (about $20 at Target/Walmart) under my belly, and my regular pillow wedged inside the curve of the body pillow. The wedge really helps support the weight of my belly so it isn't putting as much strain on my back and hips. This position was suggested to me by my sonogram technician, and it has made a HUGE difference so far. The only problem is that I now take up our ENTIRE queen sized bed, so I've resorted to sleeping in the guest room lately. So, I miss DH at night!
  • Options
    @swflJD LOL DH has been pushed off the bed by my pillow a couple of times so I had to adjust my position. It's like there's a third person in bed with us.

@kp90 You were right. I ended up hugging my pillow too tight so I started crossing my arms in front of me which works so much better. Thanks :wink:
  • Options

Sorry to drag this thread back up, but has any ladies felt like their pregnancy pillow made the pins and needles worse?

I wake up with my hands completely numb (so I struggle with making the coffee haha) and not sure if it's because of the pillow or if it's just a new symptom? It only started after I got the pillow.

If I wake up on my back or sometimes even my right side.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    @charissadeats Yay! I'm glad you found a better position. There's nothing worse than waking up with sore, numb body parts. Lol.
  • Options
    If you're having pins and needles in your hands then you're most likely having carpal tunnel symptoms (pregnancy-induced). I had minor symptoms with my first two pregnancies in the 3rd trimester and it went away after delivery. This time it started up really bad around 20 weeks and I have been wearing wrist guards at night. I borrowed some from a friend luckily (saved ~$40). The wrist guards help - they don't solve it - but help. It's all about keeping your wrists straighter - not curling them - which is natural for a lot of people sleeping on their side. I also used to be a stomach sleeper (FAV position!) and it was really hard to give that up and start sleeping on my side (which I had to do early on w/a big twin belly).
  • Options
    JennyS86 said:
    At 20.4 weeks, I fall asleep on my side, but often wake up on my back.  Anybody else?
    I got the snoogle for exactly this reason.  I couldn't seem to stay off my back  (if we were friends IRL, this is where I'd say "Which is how I got into this situation!!) so I started using the snoogle.  It keeps me comfortably on my side all night (until my husband's snoring wakes me up and makes me move to the couch).
  • Options
    The snoogle was a game changer for sure, but I'm still waking up constantly. If not to pee then to flop over to my other side. I just can't stay comfortable in any one position for very long. I relish in the few moments I spend on my back mid flop, it just feels good to be flat for a few seconds.

• Options
    missnc77missnc77 member
    edited January 2016
    I'm not a back sleeper, but I've read others on here say their doctors said back sleeping wasn't an issue unless you're overweight or actually feel discomfort. May be worth talking to your doctor.

I'm a stomach sleeper, but I can't sleep like that anymore without feeling pressure on my stomach. I try to stay on my side, but I wake up with my shoulder or arms asleep and have to get the blood circulating again. Then of course that means I need to get up and pee. And then last night I had a random attack of hot flashes where I woke up three times soaked. What the heck? I thought hormones regulated in the 2nd tri? Hopefully that was a one hit wonder. I only woke up once this past Saturday/Sunday night, and I when I finally woke up at 7:30, I felt like angels were singing to me. Screw whoever said sleep before the baby comes. I quit knowing what a decent night's sleep was by about 6 weeks.
  • Options
    I'm having the issue with my hands going numb too! It sucks cause it seems to have something to do with sleeping on my side... but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm usually a back or stomach sleeper, so it's pretty hard for me to sleep on my side. Either my shoulders end up getting really sore, or my hands go numb, or both. It seems like I am waking up every hour all night to flip from one side to the other. Add in the round ligament pain that happens when I flip, and my nights just suck.
  • Options
    My back hurts sometimes, but it's the urge to pee (1-2 times a night). Mainly this happens because I raise my knees to my stomach and it puts pressure on the bladder. 
  • Options
    My back hurts sometimes, but it's the urge to pee (1-2 times a night). Mainly this happens because I raise my knees to my stomach and it puts pressure on the bladder. 

@delitachan 1-2 times a night? I only WISH I went 1-2 times. I'm up to pee atleast 4 times a night/early morning.. but I do always take a small sip of water before crawling back to bed because I'm so thirsty at night. Vicious cycle!!