Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Cereal? Solids?

When did you, or do you plan on introducing solids to your baby? I'm not sure how I even knew when to feed my older kids who are almost 18 & 9 now without the benefit of google and message boards. My doctor said its safe to start introducing them around 4 months, but it seems most people here talk about not doing it until 6 months. I can't remember when I started cereal on my older kdis, let alone how often i fed it to him, etc. Can somebody just give me a manual? I feel like a newbie all of a sudden, I don't remember feeling so clueless before. Maybe old age is just eating my brain, or maybe there are just too many rules now. I can't keep up

Re: Cereal? Solids?

• Options
    I start at 6 mos. I don't give cereal.
  • Options
    Most people I know start at 6 months and don't do cereal at all. I'm planning to follow that also, but I'm going to ask my ped since lo is showing all the signs of being ready
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

There are a lot more rules now! lol

I did a little cereal with each of my kids, just to get them used to solids but quickly changed to purees. My first kid started solids around 4 months old but my second kid wanted nothing to do with food until closer to 7 months.

• Options
    The advice I've gotten that I like the most is do a week of oatmeal cereal then do other purees because the cereal is bland and not so overwhelming to the baby palate while they figure out how to eat off spoon.
  • Options
    We started our little guy with oatmeal at 2 months with the ok from his pediatrician (he was taking more than 40 Oz of formula a day, eating every 2 hours, and didn't gag at all when we introduced the cereal). He's 4 1/2 months now and is eating 4 meals of solids with cereal a day plus his bottles (he's off the charts for height, so he's kind of a giant). He doesn't like much flavor yet, so that's why he gets cereal with his solids at each meal. The pediatrician was fine with all this since he's able to handle it, isn't spitting it up, and is having regular bm.
  • Options
    Just had the 4 month check up yesterday and pedi said he's ready to start foods. His instructions were to do a week of rice cereal then either fruit or vegetable didn't matter as long as only 1 food is introduced every 4 days and just 1 feeding a day and move to 2 in a few weeks. I'm super excited to start using my baby bullet.
  • Options
    The ASP recommends waiting until 6 months. I started at 6 months with chicken. I didn't really even feed creak until about nine months, mostly then just for the iron.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Chicken?! Fruits and veggies are easier on the tummy as they learn to digest.

Mine never ate cereal.
  • Options
    We started at about 4 1/2 months after the doctor gave us the okay. The plan was to wait until 6 months, but he seemed ready--great head control, interested in food we were eating, opening his mouth without the urge to push out his tongue, etc. We skipped cereal after some research of our own. Planning to try oatmeal though. We started with puréed sweet potatoes mixed with a little breast milk. Then banana and avocado. Avocado didn't go well but the rest did! :-)
  • Options
    Little man is 19 weeks. I started him on oatmeal last week. He now likes squash and apples too. He took well to solids, grabbing at my hands to guide the spoon to his mouth and grunting when I'm not going fast enough. It's mighty cute. Surprisingly, he still eats the same amount of formula as he did before introducing solids.
  • Options
    My nurse that visits us said that with the new information things are changing a lot concerning babies and solid foods. It's more about the individual baby than age: neck strength, can baby sit up, is baby interested in food. I will start between 4-6 months following baby's lead. The cereal is often recommended for the iron it offers, so meats are good if available in an appropriate consistency for baby's development. Apparently the "introduce one food at a time over time" thing is old and not necessary. We will probably start with things like mashed yams over the cereal. There are baby foods available with fruit/veggie/meat blends that I'm interested in recreating at home.
  • Options
    I've read about baby led weaning recently. I'm going to try this.