July 2016 Moms

January Entertainment thread- books, tv, movies, etc.

So, I remember on The Nest, I used to love the entertainment board. Can we do that here? Maybe a monthly one?
BOOKS
Guys, I finished the Outlander series. My plan was to start the "Lord John" off shoots. I realize I've been spending too much money on books lately so instead of buying the Kindle edition, I went to the library this weekend and borrowed The Scottish Prisoner. I haven't been too eager to pick it up though. I'm not sure I'm going to love reading all the Lord John books. I'll really miss Claire and the Jamie/Claire relationship.

TV
I binge watched Outlander Season 1 again this past weekend-Monday. I'm so ready for April to get here so I can see Season 2. If you have Amazon Prime, you can get a free Starz trial right now ;) I did that (we have a FireStick, no cable) and will just keep the service. It looks like they have some other neat shows on Starz.

DH went to sleep early the other night and I went down a "black hole" on YouTube (Aziz Ansari reference) watching Lip Sync Battle... like I think I watched every single episode. Channing Tatum & Jenna Dewan-Tatum were amazing. I really liked Joseph Gordon-Levitt's Rhythm Nation performance also! If you've seen this, whose performances did you like best?

MOVIES
I haven't watched any movies lately. Any recs?

Re: January Entertainment thread- books, tv, movies, etc.

• edited January 2016
    My husband and I are watching The Expanse on SyFy and I'm reading the first book of the series it's based on. I find both are good.

I also just finished watching Broadchurch which I thought was amazing!

No movies recently... We rarely go to the movies though.
    Me: 33  DH: 31
    Married: 8/9/2010
    3 Furbabies - Kumo, Mal, and Lynx!
    Started TTC August 2014
    BFP #1 - 12/16/14 EDD 8/22/15 - MMC and D&C 1/23/15
    BFP #2 - 7/10/15 EDD 3/20/16- chemical pregnancy, ended 7/16/15
    BFP #3 - 11/12/15 EDD 7/21/16 - wishing and hoping for a sticky little bean!

July'16 BMB May Siggy Challenge - Star Wars:

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Currently reading N0S 4A2 by Joe Hill and loving it.

Been flying through The Office (I'm off this week so there is a lot of decadent laziness).

My husband and I have been going to the movies a fair bit. On Friday we are going to see the Forest
  • Loading the player...
  • @quartz02 I LOVE Outlander!! I've read the whole series once and have started it again (taking a mini break now). The show is fantastic!!
  • We've been watching Transparent and it's pretty good. We also just finished Curb your Enthusiasm...pre-tty pret-ty good.

I'm currently reading Fates and Furies. It's okay. My last fav book was The God of Small Things.

We went to see Star Wars last weekend. It was the first SW movie I've ever seen and it was pretty strange. Entertaining though.
  • Love this!
    Last book was See Me by Nicholas Sparks. Good read but not nearly as captivating as his other novels.
    TV shows: we have been binge watching Homeland! Love it!!!!! But can't wait til Grey's Anatomy is back on!
    Movies: HAHAHAHA last movie I went to was The Good Dinosaur. Can't remember the last adult movie I went to see.
  • Books:
    Currently I'm reading a few haha
    Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
    Little Bird by Anais Nin
    Gates of Paradise by VC Andrews
    Maddaddam by Margaret Atwood
    Clash of Kings by George RR Martin
    Drawing of the Three by Stephen King

I read A LOT and I like to mix it up.

TV:
    I'm impatiently waiting for the new GoT. And craving a Sopranos rewatch. And maybe a Nurse Jackie rewatch.

Movies: the last movie I saw in theaters was the new Star Wars (plus I watched the other six at home)
  • Books: I'm currently reading the Night Circus for book club at work.

TV: my guilty pleasure is definitely real housewives the drama the rediculous lives it's wonderful! I do enjoy dramas such as the black list and law and order and criminal minds (mmmm spencer reed) and comedies like Big Bang and the muppets husband and i are watching Malcolm in the middle after finishing Frasier on Netflix

Movies: I just saw a walk in the woods tonight it was really great and beautiful scenery. Star Wars was amazing and I'm going to see Joy tomorrow night which I'm excited about and really want to watch what to expect when you are expecting again
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Books: I'm reading Outlander 6 and Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. One is definitely more captivating than the other. 

TV: Rematching season 8 of Dr. Who. 

Movies: We watched The Labyrinth this week. It holds up.

• MOVIE: Daddy's Home is HYSTERICAL! A must watch
  • Books:
    Just been reading a ton of baby stuff. WTEWYE and What to Eat WYE.

TV: H and I watch too much TV. When he was OOT I did the Making a Murderer. GUYS, IT MADE ME RAGE SO HARD
    We're currently binge watching all the seasons of Criminal Minds. Started from the begininning and we're at Season 9 Ep 7. We don't watch it unless we're together. It's cute. and H knows I'd leave him for Matt Gubler.

Movies:
    Saw SWTFA twice. Might see it again. Freaking love Star Wars. austinjl I suggesting trying to watch the original trilogy. You'll get it a lot more. Also, it's all left on cliffhangers since the storyline isn't complete by the end of the movie, so you're left with a lot of questions.
  • chels0120 said:
    Love this! Last book was See Me by Nicholas Sparks. Good read but not nearly as captivating as his other novels. TV shows: we have been binge watching Homeland! Love it!!!!! But can't wait til Grey's Anatomy is back on! Movies: HAHAHAHA last movie I went to was The Good Dinosaur. Can't remember the last adult movie I went to see.
    thank you for reminding me of Homeland! DH and I dropped that show due to his busy schedule a while back and we only watch it together. We got in one episode last night before he went to bed :)
  • Books: Currently I'm reading a few haha Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets Little Bird by Anais Nin Gates of Paradise by VC Andrews Maddaddam by Margaret Atwood Clash of Kings by George RR Martin Drawing of the Three by Stephen King I read A LOT and I like to mix it up. TV: I'm impatiently waiting for the new GoT. And craving a Sopranos rewatch. And maybe a Nurse Jackie rewatch. Movies: the last movie I saw in theaters was the new Star Wars (plus I watched the other six at home)
    OMG I'm a one-book-at-a-time reader. I would be so confused to read all of that simultaneously. I have the GoT book series on paperback. Once I finish my Outlander obsession, I think that's going to be my next series. I read all (or part? can't remember) of the 1st book but it was so long ago that I'd read it again for a refresher.
  • Books: I'm currently reading the Night Circus for book club at work. TV: my guilty pleasure is definitely real housewives the drama the rediculous lives it's wonderful! I do enjoy dramas such as the black list and law and order and criminal minds (mmmm spencer reed) and comedies like Big Bang and the muppets husband and i are watching Malcolm in the middle after finishing Frasier on Netflix Movies: I just saw a walk in the woods tonight it was really great and beautiful scenery. Star Wars was amazing and I'm going to see Joy tomorrow night which I'm excited about and really want to watch what to expect when you are expecting again
    tell us how Joy is! Looks interesting.
  • Books:
    Just been reading a ton of baby stuff. WTEWYE and What to Eat WYE.

TV: H and I watch too much TV. When he was OOT I did the Making a Murderer. GUYS, IT MADE ME RAGE SO HARD
    We're currently binge watching all the seasons of Criminal Minds. Started from the begininning and we're at Season 9 Ep 7. We don't watch it unless we're together. It's cute. and H knows I'd leave him for Matt Gubler.

Movies:
    Saw SWTFA twice. Might see it again. Freaking love Star Wars. austinjl I suggesting trying to watch the original trilogy. You'll get it a lot more. Also, it's all left on cliffhangers since the storyline isn't complete by the end of the movie, so you're left with a lot of questions.
    DH works with college kids so is always trying to stay on top of anything current (tv, music, etc.). He was insistent that we need to watch Making a Murderer but I told him I don't want to watch anything that would upset me right now. He was so mad! LOL... I told him I'm not saying HE can't watch it. I have some of my own shows that he has no interest in, he can do the same!
  • TV: H and I watch too much TV. When he was OOT I did the Making a Murderer. GUYS, IT MADE ME RAGE SO HARD

H and I are on episode 8 of Making a Murderer. We sit there the whole time yelling at the tv. The whole thing with that poor nephew who clearly has special needs made me so freaking angry. His only opinion about his lawyer was that they both like cats... I keep having vivid nightmares about fighting with these idiots in court.

I've never been to Wisconsin, but I'm pretty sure I'm swearing off the whole state after watching that.

• DominiqueU you and me both. Not really the nightmares (they must be epic court hearings though), but everything else.
  • @Lindsayleigh1989 I took your suggestion and am half way thru The Night Circus....

I always end up re-reading the last few chapters of The Goldfinch (when I'm not just restarting the whole thing). That book is a life changer. I've never had a book just carve out a piece of my heart like that before.

Watching Making A Murderer on Netflix right now

if you've never watched the show- Friday Night Lights entire series is on Netflix and it was my hands down all time favorite TV show evvvaaaarrrrrr. Even if you hate football, you will love this show. You end up truly loving each and every character and become so emotionally invested in them. Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!

• I'm reading Being Mortal by Atul Gwande. Amazing for those in the medical profession.

TV has been Code Black(phenomenal and makes me cry every episode) and Married at First Sight (biggest train wreck show ever my husband and I watch it together and laugh so hard at them) oh and Lip Sync Battle too that's my new one until Empire comes back on in March..

I'm not a real movie person- I can't keep my attention for that long usually.
  • quartz02 said:

chels0120 said:

Love this!
    Last book was See Me by Nicholas Sparks. Good read but not nearly as captivating as his other novels.
    TV shows: we have been binge watching Homeland! Love it!!!!! But can't wait til Grey's Anatomy is back on!
    Movies: HAHAHAHA last movie I went to was The Good Dinosaur. Can't remember the last adult movie I went to see.

thank you for reminding me of Homeland! DH and I dropped that show due to his busy schedule a while back and we only watch it together. We got in one episode last night before he went to bed :)

LOL my pleasure!! We just finished season 3 and are starting 4! I want to get caught up!!!! It's same with me and DH. We have to watch it together!
  • Weville said:

@stellaluna14 I just finished re-reading all the Harry Potter books last month. As soon as I finished them my husband looked at me and said the next time you read those will be to our little guy, cue all the tears haha.

SO MANY TEARS! My husband and I talked about that too. We even talked about reading some outloud to my belly because I am crazy and I apparently can't get enough tears.

I can't wait to share these things with my little babe! Cue more tears.
  • We are tv junkies! We just finished 'Making a Murderer' and now we're listening to the podcast 'Serial' - both are amazing. I was afraid I'd get bored during the podcast, but not at all. We're currently watching 'Transparent' which is on Amazon and I'm really liking it. Recently we also finished 'Jessica Jones' on Netflix. Real Housewives of Beverly Hills is my private obsession that I watch by myself bc DH hates it haha. 
    July '16 May Siggy Challenge 

BabyFetus Ticker
    Me: 29
    DH: 32
    Married: June 2011
    DD #1: December 2013
    DD #2: EDD July 2016

• I've never been to Wisconsin, but I'm pretty sure I'm swearing off the whole state after watching that.

I'm from Wisconsin and when my friends and I talk about this we often say we hope everyone outside of Wisconsin doesn't think this is how we all are here. It's crazy the notoriety this documentary is getting. I can't imagine what it's like for the people in Manitowoc.

Books: Not reading any books at the moment. I've been reading a lot of birth stories on the Internet though.

TV: totally guilty of watching all the Real Housewives shows, Vanderpump Rules, Girlfriends Guide to Divorce (bravo junkie!). Also watch a lot of Dateline and shows like that. And have fallen into the trap of The Bachelor.

Movies: currently trying to watch the original Star Wars movies so I can go with my husband to the new one.
  • @Lindsayleigh1989 and @Rasco12 If you watch RHOC - I was in the same HS class as the newest housewife Meghan. I only watched the first episode of this past season, though, because I was embarrassed for her for how "Jimmy" treats/talks to her.

@PinkLady2015 My H and I LOVE Friday Night Lights. H has a giant man crush on Tim Riggins... He's all right, but I'd take a pep talk from Coach any day! ;-) We've watched the full series on Netflix twice now. I'm always so devastated when it ends!  Like you said... you really get invested in all of the characters!

Books: I have several Philippa Gregory books I have on my reading to-do list. I'm a big fan of historical fiction.

TV: We watched the first season of Fargo the week after Christmas, and I can't wait for the second season to come out on Blu-Ray/Netflix/Hulu so we can catch up! REALLY great. SUPER happy Shameless is back on, and counting down until GoT is back!

Movies: I got Inside Out and The Minion Movie for Christmas - those are on my list to watch. I also really want to see The Big Short. I'm not sure that the premise is all that exciting, but how can you go wrong with Christian Bale, Ryan Gosling, and Steve Carell?? It got an 88% on Rotten Tomatoes, so it must be pretty great!
  • @soberkfell The Big Short is really good! My husband and I both thoroughly enjoyed it. With the subject matter it would be very easy for the movie to be dry but it is totally entertaining
  • @Racso12 I definitely shouldn't even judge because I'm from NJ and after Jersey Shore started we definitely had our asses handed to us by anyone outside NJ. You can't judge a state by a few crazies, but some crazies have a huge impact.
  • @PinkLady2015 I binge watched Friday Night Lights right after I had DS. He wouldn't sleep at night unless he was held, so my husband and I took 4 hour shifts of staying up and holding him. I flew through all of the seasons. It was so sad to say "goodbye" at the end!!
  • afrazer521afrazer521 member
    edited January 2016
    I read The Night Circus a month or two ago. I definitely enjoyed it, unique book.

@soberkfell I have a slight addiction to historical fiction books. I was with my bestie at Barnes and Noble and we were talking about how I have a very definite type of book and she picked one up and said "wow just by the first line I can tell this is your kind of book." "Let me guess...it was a fall day in London 1592." "Actually it says summer and it's 1601." Ha! I'm definitely in a rut. But I would recommend The Lake of Dead Languages, not really historical fiction, but very cool and I, Mona Lisa; probably the first hf I read that got me hooked YEARS ago

Sorry I don't have the authors...all my books are packed currently :( Oh and also the Botticelli Secret if you like art too! Ok I'm really done now.

• @soberkfell holy cow that's crazy!
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• @soberkfell I couldn't believe the way he talked to her! He did appear on the reunion show and apologized to Meghan for that. And he sounded sincere. 

@DominiqueU  I've never seen an episode of Jersey Shore! But I am guilty of judging an entire state due to a select few. I feel that way about Florida because of Casey Anthony and George Zimmerman's acquittals.