Trying to Get Pregnant

TW miscarriage. When to start trying after miscarriage.

My TTC History:
2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
2010: Infertility
2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
2012: Baby #1
2014: Baby #2
October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

Re: TW miscarriage. When to start trying after miscarriage.

• Interesting... I've heard people say this but never saw any supporting documentation.

Me: 32 & DH: 37
    Married: November 2014
    TTC #1 Since: October 2015
    BFP #1: 11/18/15 - CP
    BFP #2: 2/8/16 - EDD 10/20/16
    IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• edited January 2016
    I've seen people around the interwebs claiming "super increased fertility" after a MC, but I had no idea there was any real evidence supporting this. Thank you for sharing @TheBorg7of9

ETA clarity: not that this article says you will have "super increased fertility" when TTCAL. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah, this doesn't help with keeping my BSC at bay during this TWW!

IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• I hope this rings true for me, but I'm highly skeptical for my own situation. After my d&c, we waited until my period returned and started trying that cycle. We got pregnant and ended up having a chemical. That cycle ended in a BFN. Just starting cycle 2 post-chemical, so I guess time will tell.... 

Excuse my Debbie Downer-ness.

LFAF April Siggy: TV/Movie BFFs

BFP #1 12/2012, DS born 8/2013
    BFP #2 7/2015, MMC and D&C 9/2015
    BFP #3 11/2015, CP
    BFP #4 1/2016, DD born 10/2016

• My OB also told me to start trying right away after this CP because of increased odds of conception/take home baby. Interesting to see this study! And definitely hope it's true.

TTC #1 --- BFP #1 5/15, loss at 5 weeks --- BFP #2 12/15, loss at 4+3 --- RE testing 3/16 normal, still trying for our rainbow    

• My OB also told me to start trying right away after this CP because of increased odds of conception/take home baby. Interesting to see this study! And definitely hope it's true.

Well now I'm officially on the crazy train this month. I was working on it on my own, but this pushed me over the edge.
    ***********************************************************************************************
    #1 born 8/21/14, #2 & 3 (identical) due 9/27/16

• Really interesting read...it's something I had heard, but I almost assumed it was an old wives take.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Interesting read! Fingers crossed for all of us TTCAL. This article gives me hope. Thanks for sharing @TheBorg7of9!
  • Thanks for posting this! It gives me hope (glad I'm WTO right now. If I were in the TWW this article would unleash a flood of crazy and peeing on things).
  • Interesting. This is my first cycle post CP and we were NTNP but hit O day so we will see.
    Me: 26     DH: 25
    DS1 -- 9/30/2016

• I've heard this. Is it weird that the thought of a BFP scares the crap out of me? So scared of another loss.

Me: 33     H: 36

Married: 12/14/13   DS: 1/29/09

BFP2: 10/9/15  MMC: 11/12/15

BFP3: 4/6/16   DD: 12/12/16

• MRSCORKERMRSCORKER member
    edited January 2016
    cjt121413 said:

I've heard this. Is it weird that the thought of a BFP scares the crap out of me? So scared of another loss.

Not weird at all. Loss messes with your head. I want a BFP more than anything but it will always be overshadowed by anxiety now.

Edited because wurds are hard.

IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• cjt121413 said:
    I've heard this. Is it weird that the thought of a BFP scares the crap out of me? So scared of another loss.
    Nope. I'm terrified.

BFP #3 11/2015, CP

• edited January 2016
    I could be totally wrong here but my interpretation was not that there's a better chance of successful pregnancy when you try again sooner than 3 months... but rather that it's just not medically necessary to wait.

"The study can’t prove that trying for a baby again right after a miscarriage will cause the next pregnancy to happen sooner or result in a healthy baby nine months later. But the findings do suggest some women may not need to heed traditional advice to hold off trying again for three months after an early pregnancy loss"

Either way it is definitely interesting. I know OBs that still say absolutely no trying for 3 months, whereas others just say to wait until your next cycle. I think for me personally it was important to wait 3 months because i really needed to process and recover. However, I know others who feel it's a harder mental burden to experience the loss AND Be robbed of those 3 additional months- especially since those 3 months can truly seem like an eternity.
  • Well, that sucks, my doctor told me to wait 2 cycles to get my body back to normal before I try again.... I feel confused.

Married to my Soul Mate since 09/06/09

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
    @letyourheartbeyourguide oh no, I didn't know you had a CP this month, too - I don't think I've seen an update from you since the S'16 board. I'm so sorry for your loss.
    (I recently changed my username - I was ashbear720 while I was still posting on that board.)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I could be totally wrong here but my interpretation was not that there's a better chance of successful pregnancy when you try again sooner than 3 months... but rather that it's just not medically necessary to wait.

"The study can’t prove that trying for a baby again right after a miscarriage will cause the next pregnancy to happen sooner or result in a healthy baby nine months later. But the findings do suggest some women may not need to heed traditional advice to hold off trying again for three months after an early pregnancy loss"

Either way it is definitely interesting. I know OBs that still say absolutely no trying for 3 months, whereas others just say to wait until your next cycle. I think for me personally it was important to wait 3 months because i really needed to process and recover. However, I know others who feel it's a more difficult mental burden to experience that loss AND Be robbed of those 3 additional months that can truly seem like an eternity.
    I agree. But I was referring to this part
    "Of the 765 couples who started trying to get pregnant within three months, 77 percent eventually gave birth to a live baby, compared to 23 percent of the 233 couples who waited longer to start trying.
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• I could be totally wrong here but my interpretation was not that there's a better chance of successful pregnancy when you try again sooner than 3 months... but rather that it's just not medically necessary to wait.

Either way it is definitely interesting. I know OBs that still say absolutely no trying for 3 months, whereas others just say to wait until your next cycle. I think for me personally it was important to wait 3 months because i really needed to process and recover. However, I know others who feel it's a more difficult mental burden to experience that loss AND Be robbed of those 3 additional months that can truly seem like an eternity.
    I agree. But I was referring to this part
    "Of the 765 couples who started trying to get pregnant within three months, 77 percent eventually gave birth to a live baby, compared to 23 percent of the 233 couples who waited longer to start trying.
    Oh wow, I totally didn't see that part. that's a really incredible difference in live birth percentages- kinda makes me wish I hadn't waited the three months after my MC!

@letyourheartbeyourguide oh no, I didn't know you had a CP this month, too - I don't think I've seen an update from you since the S'16 board. I'm so sorry for your loss.
    (I recently changed my username - I was ashbear720 while I was still posting on that board.)

Thanks. I'm sorry for yours as well. I didn't update there, though maybe I should have. I was just in a bit of a fog having a second loss. I know it's been tough for you. It took a long time after my loss this summer to feel like myself again, but it gets easier I promise. Hugs.

TTC #1 --- BFP #1 5/15, loss at 5 weeks --- BFP #2 12/15, loss at 4+3 --- RE testing 3/16 normal, still trying for our rainbow    

• This resonates with me. This is the least most scientific anecdote ever, but my mom had early miscarriages right before getting pregnant with my brother and me. Her miscarriages immediately preceded her pregnancies with each of us and we are 4 years apart. Obviously it was very emotional for her at the time, but she's always been really open with me about it, saying maybe it was her body's way of "getting ready" for us.
    Me: 31; DH: 31
    NTNP: May 2015
    TTC #1: late August 2015
    PCOS Dx: January 2016, starting Femara Feb 2016
    BFP: 2/29/16 - Happy Leap Day!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @skiingstark that is exactly what my OB told me to do. I was a little farther along so maybe that's why???!!!

Me: 33 DH: 39
    DD 1: 5-24-13
    TTC#2: BFP: 8-23-15 MMC: 10-29-15
    DD 2: 9-15-16
    DD 3: 9-16-17

• FiancBFiancB member
    edited January 2016
    Thanks for sharing this. Anecdotally, I know a few people that got pregnant and had babies right after a miscarriage. So it's nice to see some evidence for it and make me feel like I'm not crazy for wanting to try again immediately. FX for both of us. Now if my body would just cooperate and start ovulating again. 

My sister tried to tell me it was best to wait 6 months. Um, no, not happening. According to my OB the only real reason to wait even a cycle or two is for dating purposes, but these days with ultrasounds being so good it's a moot point. 

Also going to be fucking terrified when I get another BFP. But hoping it'll be worth it. 
  • I'm on my 2nd cycle TTCAL. We didn't give it a great shot last cycle as we were both a little gun shy and not sure if we wanted to wait for other reasons. Now I wish we had given it a better go. I'm not feeling as hopeful for this cycle as I was in the beginning of the TWW... If our chances are better in the 3 months after and it doesn't happen, it won't be good for my optimism in the months following. I'm also a Debbie Downer this morning.

IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

Well now I'm officially on the crazy train this month. I was working on it on my own, but this pushed me over the edge.
    Another crazy train boarder. I had a CP New Year's day. This is the cycle after that so, FX.
  • I am really glad I saw this. I was thinking I'd be more on the NTNP side of things for a while but now I am thinking it's best to try hard core. I sent the link to DH too. 

I can imagine that it'll just sting all the more if it happens again though :/
  • MRSCORKER said:

cjt121413 said:

Not weird at all. Loss messes with your head. I want a BFP more than anything but it will always be overshadowed by anxiety now.

Edited because wurds are hard.
    --anticipated qbf--

Totally agree. I feel like the excitement of getting a bfp now will be totally overshadowed by terror. I wanted to do something cool for my husband o surprise him when I do get pregnant but I don't want to do that and then have another loss and have that memory instead.
    ***********************************************************************************************

• @mamadomino @MRSCORKER   I'm feeling the same way.  We were cleared to try without waiting following a CP in December, but I feel almost relieved that we didn't get a BFP this month because of the amount of anxiety I was feeling in the TWW.  And then of course I feel guilty about feeling relieved.  But I do think the extra time is helping me prepare mentally for the mixed emotions that are bound to happen.
  • @mamadomino @MRSCORKER   I'm feeling the same way.  We were cleared to try without waiting following a CP in December, but I feel almost relieved that we didn't get a BFP this month because of the amount of anxiety I was feeling in the TWW.  And then of course I feel guilty about feeling relieved.  But I do think the extra time is helping me prepare mentally for the mixed emotions that are bound to happen.

It seems like a lot of you have gone to the doctor after a cp. is that necessary? I guess I just assumed it wasn't for me since it was so early?

It seems like a lot of you have gone to the doctor after a cp. is that necessary? I guess I just assumed it wasn't for me since it was so early?
    I went after my CP because I wanted it in my medical record that I'd had a second loss.

BFP #3 11/2015, CP

I'm negative for Rh factor and H is positive, so my GYN asked me to come in and get a rhogam shot as it's part of their policy with any pregnancy.  
  • Getting another BFP will be SUPER stressful when the time comes.   I am going to be a hot mess now that I am in that lovely <5% who have had 2 in a row.

My RE didn't make me wait.  I'll be amazed if I get a BFP this month.  Terrified, but also amazed.
    ****TW****

Me: 39 DH: 40
    Married: 12/6/2014

BFP#1: 1/20/15      MC: 2/14/15
    BFP#2: 10/28/15    MC: 11/24/15
    BFP#3:  3/20/16     MC: 4/26/16
    BFP#4:  7/15/16     DD: 3/18/17
    BFP#5:  5/1/18     EDD: 1/12/19
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• @PeggyOlsonFTW @housewifehobbyist Thanks those both make sense!

I had already gone to the doc to confirm with blood work so when I started to bleed she had me come back in to confirm the loss and watch my levels back down. If I hadn't already gone in for blood work prior to bleeding, I probably would have just called to ask if it was necessary or not. 

IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• I already feel like I have my hopes too high this cycle (second after MC). Now I have them super high. I have read similar things before though. If I'm not KU this cycle I think I am going to be super disappointed. I need to reign it in.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• m6agua said:
    I already feel like I have my hopes too high this cycle (second after MC). Now I have them super high. I have read similar things before though. If I'm not KU this cycle I think I am going to be super disappointed. I need to reign it in.
    I'm also on my 2nd cycle TTCAL. My hopes are WAYYYY too high. I had a BFN this morning and yet I still went to the drug store at lunch, bought more tests, peed on one in the bathroom and then tried as hard as I could for the past 15 minutes to see a squinter. I'm only 9 DPO. The BSC has TAKEN OVER. 

IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• m6agua said:
    I already feel like I have my hopes too high this cycle (second after MC). Now I have them super high. I have read similar things before though. If I'm not KU this cycle I think I am going to be super disappointed. I need to reign it in.
    Join the club.

BFP #3 11/2015, CP

• @mamadomino We're all on the crazy train together!

IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• Is it wrong that you being crazy makes me feel better about being crazy?
    @mamadomino

TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• @mamadomino I didn't go to doctor after my CP on 12/20. I called them and they said I could if I wanted to get bliss drawn and confirm, but I knew what was happening and didn't need them to confirm it for me. Also my first appointment wasn't until 1/11.
    Me: 26     DH: 25
    DS1 -- 9/30/2016