March 2015 Moms
Options

Sleep training??

Any ideas without using the CIO method? My son is used to feeding while falling asleep (my fault entirely) and now if like for him to try to get used to going down while sleepy and soothing himself. Anyone?

Re: Sleep training??

• Options
    I'm sorta in the same boat. My daughter always went to sleep at night and for naps after a bottle, but there's a few times she won't take one and will just go to sleep. I refuse to use the cio so following this post if you don't mind?
  • Options
    torie2132torie2132 member
    edited January 2016
    We didn't exactly do or not do cry it out...We set a timer. Especially in the beginning. We'd do 10 minutes of crying. If it was really bad I'd go in and rock him and calm him. But our magic number was typically 8 minutes and he'd be out. For me really watching for his cues helped. Mine rubs his eyes and his moods are crazo. I try not to put him down without seeing the cues. He's on a fairly regular schedule - which also helps. And this is coming from someone who for the first 4 months or so rocked and gave him a bottle every night while he went to sleep...Before gently placing him in the crib and tip toeing away. I know that's not exactly not doing cry it out. But I also didn't feel like it was torture either. For me or him.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    There's a few options. One that I've heard works really well is the sleep lady shuffle. She has a book and it's really great it's divided by age and tells common problem for that age

BFP 7/4/2014 EDD 3/9/2015
  • Options
    My son used to nurse to sleep but I wanted him to be able to soothe himself so the first thing I did was transition his schedule from play, eat, sleep to eat, play, sleep. I just slowly fed him earlier and earlier so he wasn't relying on me to feed him for bed and that worked well for a while, but after going through some sleep regressions and growth spurts no other sleep methods worked for us so we begrudgingly tried CIO and he actually fell asleep in less than 10 minutes and now he goes to sleep for bed time in less than 1 minute. I didn't want to do it for so long but honestly, it was our last resort and ended up being the most helpful, so I'd say if you get to that point, it might not be as bad as you fear.