Baby Names

Quaid

DD #2 is due in a couple weeks. DH and I have stressed over names for a while and we both like Quaid. Middle name will be Kay. My internet searches say that Quaid is more of a boy name, but you can't tell me that names like Charlie have always been gender neutral, which they are now considered to be. DD #1 is Quinn. We like to keep names a secret until baby is born, so I'm asking for opinions here. What do you guys think?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Quaid

• Loading the player...
  • evaazalea said:

Quaid and Quinn? That's beyond matchy. Quaid is so a last name but I would have assumed boy. Charlie is not gender neutral. 

I'm afraid they're too matchy too. We have had such a difficult time agreeing on a name!

• YogaSandy said:

As in Randy (or even Dennis) Quaid?

And Charlie is not gender neutral. Just because some people slap it on a girl, does not make it gender neutral. It makes it a masculine name on a girl.

Quaid also just looks awkward spelled out to me.

Thanks for your input. I don't care for Charlie for a girl, I was just using it as an example I've seen on gender neutral lists and I don't feel it is gender neutral either.
  • CourtJack said:

Quaid just sounds really unattractive. Plus all I hear in my head when I think of Quaid is "Dennis Quaid is here!" from the Ellen skit.

I have no idea what skit you are referring to! Thanks for your input.
  • Terrible all around.
  • All I think of is the Quaid brothers. It's not feminine in the slightest.

Suggest

Sloane
    Maeve
    Teagan
    Simone
    Bernadette
    Zora
    Renee
  • It's too much with dd1.
  • No...

TTC #1: February 1, 2014
    BFP #1: 2/21/14 EDD: 10/31/14 MMC: discovered 3/31/14 (blighted ovum) D&C: 4/3/14 at 9w6d

BFP #2:12/18/14 EDD: 8/27/14 Beta #1 (16 DPO): 50 Beta #2 (18 DPO): 54 CP: 12/25/14 at 5w0d

Names | Blog | Chart

Formally LisaG09

"Everybody wants to be happy. Nobody wants to feel pain but you can't have a rainbow without the rain."

• :s

so bad.
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • CaboBride2015CaboBride2015 member
    edited January 2016
    Soooooo much no. And I'm being polite. That's terrible. It would be terrible on a boy too and if my sisters name was Quinn and you named me Quaid I'd think you hated me or wanted a boy.
  • Thank you everyone for your input. We are getting down to the wire and are having so much difficulty agreeing on a name that I'm afraid I'm just going to settle on something so that I don't have to stress about it anymore. And no, I won't know the name once she's born. I need it ahead of time! Also, thanks for the suggestions. Gives us more options to consider.
  • I thought it was for a boy at first. So, that makes it a really awful name for a girl. Especially with a sibling named Quinn. There are so many awesome girl names out there.....keep looking!
  • I didn't think I'd read a worse name than Ridgely so soon on this board, but here it is. This is really harsh, not a nice sound, just all around gah. And then next to Quinn it's worse. I'm sorry to be so harsh. I'm not sure where to start with suggestions.
    https://nameberry.com/babyname/Quinn/girl/similar
  • If I heard Quaid, I'd think boy. And I also think it's too much paired with Quinn. Sorry, I'd keep looking.
  • Soooooo much no. And I'm being polite. That's terrible. It would be terrible on a boy too and if my sisters name was Quinn and you named me Quaid I'd think you hated me or wanted a boy.
    This!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • katej11 said:

Thank you everyone for your input. We are getting down to the wire and are having so much difficulty agreeing on a name that I'm afraid I'm just going to settle on something so that I don't have to stress about it anymore. And no, I won't know the name once she's born. I need it ahead of time! Also, thanks for the suggestions. Gives us more options to consider.

What else are you considering?

Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • CourtJack said:

Quaid just sounds really unattractive. Plus all I hear in my head when I think of Quaid is "Dennis Quaid is here!" from the Ellen skit.

YES!
    Me: 32
    DH: 33
    Married: October 2015
    TTC #1: October 2015
    EDD #1: June/July 2017

• Thank you everyone for your input. We are getting down to the wire and are having so much difficulty agreeing on a name that I'm afraid I'm just going to settle on something so that I don't have to stress about it anymore. And no, I won't know the name once she's born. I need it ahead of time! Also, thanks for the suggestions. Gives us more options to consider.
    What else are you considering?
    We have now moved on from the Q names, which we were trying to do to begin with. A couple that are at the top are Gemma and Bexley, as they are still unique but not so close to Quinn and there are no questions with the boy/girl thing.
  • I like Gemma! :)
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Gemma is a great name! It also pairs nicely with Quinn! Much better choice.
  • I looooove Gemma!
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • No to Quaid, I love Gemma!

• Gemma is a good name. :)

I've heard Quinn for boys and girls, but yeah Quaid was definitely not a girl or gender-neutral name AND was too matchy.

Just throwing it out there, but I love the name Finley, it's gender-neutral and has the same "in" sound as Quinn without being exactly matchy. I kind of like the idea of doing both gender-neutral names for two girls rather than one neutral and one distinctly feminine.

• Gemma, Bexley and Quaid? Wow. Are you serious? Bexley is HORRIBLE and so is Quaid. Gemma is ok but it reminds me of Sons of Anarchy and it's a trashy name IMO. Sorry for the honesty.

• katej11 said:
    I have no idea what skit you are referring to! Thanks for your input.
    OMG me too!!! LOL I love that skit! 

• I like Gemma! 

• bbiutmcph said:
    Gemma is great Bexley is really really bad and reads as a teen mom uneducated name to me if I'm being honest
    I completely agree.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Gemma sounds so sweet. I think it goes nicely with dd1.
  • Gemma, Bexley and Quaid? Wow. Are you serious? Bexley is HORRIBLE and so is Quaid. Gemma is ok but it reminds me of Sons of Anarchy and it's a trashy name IMO. Sorry for the honesty.

Gotta agree. Quaid is one of the worst I've come across on here not counting the you-neek thread. Bexley is not much better. Gemma is ok, compared to the other two it's Amazing!
  • Gemma is not my style but miles beyond the other two.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm sorry I have to say it but the first thing I thought when I saw Quaid was Quaalude...the date rape drug. Not a good association. I'd skip it. Kay as a middle name is nice though. Good luck!
  • Bexley might be worse then Quaid............at the very least the are tied. Fiona is nice with Quinn