TTC after 35

8 follicles on each ovary??

So I had my CD 3 bloodwork and U/S.. the tech said both ovaries mimicked each other in size and had around 8 follicles each.. I have no clue if that is too many or too little.. so anxious to get results from dr.. Monday is my HSG,, my husband is swearing that test alone will get me pregnant.. I don't think so though.. 

Re: 8 follicles on each ovary??

• I think that is a decent number especially in the over 35 group ;). For comparison, my follicle count is typically 19ish. I am 42 and that is considered a really good number. It also depends on what/if you will be doing treatments (sorry i don't recall which path you are on -- i haven't been as consistent on the board over the holidays). That is when the count mostly matters. If you are doing stim meds with timed intercourse or IUI that is plenty. You wouldn't want all to respond in that treatment anyway! (maybe 5 max??, depending on your situation and comfort level). If you did ivf you could get up to 16 eggs depending on how well your respond to the stim meds. With my 19 follicle, i got 16-17 eggs per retrieval. Also remember that quantity doesn't equal quality (for better or worse...). The number will also be more meaningful with your blood results. 

Hope that helps. Good-luck with your hsg on monday!
    Me (42) w/ partner for 16+ years
    TTC #1: 11/2012 - 9/2013; 6/2014 - present
    Follistim + TI (3x): All BFNs
    Follistim + IUI (1x): BFN 
    IVF #1: 17 retrieved,15 fertilized, Day 3: 15, Day 5/6: 3 biopsied
    Result; 1 frozen blast (inconclusive PGS results)
    IVF #2; ER: 6/22 16 retrieved, 6/25: 5 transferred (CP), 2 frozen
    FET 9/17: BFN
    Current FET -- Transferred 2 day-3 embryos - BFN

• It's a good, normal count.

At that stage of my cycle, I generally have 11 or 12 total (5-6 per ovary) which is okay but not awesome, and indicates mild diminished reserve.

You can find more by googling "antral follicle count."
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• Loading the player...
  • found out i have one blocked tube :(
  • I'm so sorry @runner76 :(
    That's really discouraging. I know there are women that have dealt with this on the board. I hope it can be easily corrected and that this doesn't hinder your chances for long. It's so hard to get bad news when you're already facing challenges and disappointments.
    Sending love. Hang in there xo
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I just had my first ultrasound since starting shots. they told me I have 9 follicles in each - I also wasn't sure if this is a good #.... they didn't tell me anything about size. I go back in 2 days.

--------

Me: 42 | DH: 39 | Us: Married since April 2014 | TCC 20 months before IVF

Me: unexplained infertility (AMA?) | DH: No issues

1st IVF cycle with ICSI & PGS | ER 1/21/16  | FET  4/26/16, ectopic

2nd FET 09/20/16 | DS born May 2017

3rd FET 09/14/20

• @runner76, that's hard news to get, but there are ways to fix it and/or work around it. I hope it helps to at least have this information, and know what's going on with your body. 

@MelD17011, it's encouraging to have that number, but it all depends on how they grow. I'll keep my fingers crossed that they all grow steadily and consistently, so you get a strong number of mature eggs.
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• thanks @KLake42 - had follow up B/U today - she was happy with how they are looking, so fingers crossed it continues that way

--------

Me: 42 | DH: 39 | Us: Married since April 2014 | TCC 20 months before IVF

Me: unexplained infertility (AMA?) | DH: No issues

1st IVF cycle with ICSI & PGS | ER 1/21/16  | FET  4/26/16, ectopic

2nd FET 09/20/16 | DS born May 2017

3rd FET 09/14/20