November 2015 Moms

C-section Mamas and exercise

Where are you all with regard to exercise after C-section? I have this inner fear that the wound will open which keeps me from doing anything. So hearing what is everybody doing without any problems would be very motivating to let this fear go!

At the moment I am walking almost every day with the stroller (around 5-6km), I am losely following these restoration of abdominal muscles exercises (link below, it's fairly easy but at least I felt ok to do it without the doctor's approval) , and I tried a first trx session today aimed at arms , but I thought that was putting too much stress on my abdominals so I stopped. https://breakingmuscle.com/mommy/c-section-recovery-restorative-sequences-for-new-moms?page=0,7

I will have my doctor's appointment this week and will ask, but I am just curious what everybody else is up to.

Re: C-section Mamas and exercise

• I'm just taking it very easy. I've finally moved past the point of feeling like I'm going to rip my uterus open, but I can still feel my anchor stitches or whatever under my skin/my uterus is still sore from time to time so... I just baby myself. No HIIT or any real core work besides planks.

For someone that loves throwing heavy weights around may I say that this is torture?
  • Does carrying my toddler and baby in her car seat at the same time count as exercise? I consider it weight lifting.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Gah- I've been doing the exact same cross training at the gym, just shortened workouts as I do get tender the more I'm doing stuff. Planks, crunches, sit ups, feet six inches off ground and scissor, flutters- I think in the end they'll help but as PP just taking it easy.
  • I've been doing a "Deck of Cards" workout I found on Pinterest. I substituted the recommended burpee with jumping jacks because I can, in no way, shape or form, do a burpee at the present time.

The program is pretty fun actually. I complete the challenges x 1 rep for 1 week, then bump up to 2 reps, then three, etc. This will allow me to work at my own pace. Having had a RCS, it's a little harder to do some of these things than I had initially anticipated. So, if I pick a 10 of spades, I do 10 push ups in week 1, 20 in week 2, 30 in week 3, etc.

I've implemented this at my office too, so we're all doing it on my team. We've made a competition out of it and the winner gets a gift card to our in house cafeteria.

**Sorry the pic is so big

photo 978af5ba-08bb-4481-86d8-3ab82265c5c3_zpsc80d6cf2.jpg div align="center">photo f1bdfba8-890a-4221-be22-61d4a9f99eee_zps89ebc57e.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'm almost 10 weeks post partum and recently started doing pole fitness with no problems. The first portion of the class is all about yoga and stretching which works a lot of the abdominal muscles which I find actually feels good. And of course all the pole work uses a lot of your core. I started walking at about 6 weeks post partum. I try to get in at least 3 walks a week.
  • Right now I am just waking on the treadmill with LO in the ergo. I also do squats and wall push ups, but haven't incorporated weights yet.

Married DH December 2014
    Expecting DS#1 November 2015
  • I'm 10 weeks pp today and I'm doing everything I was before I got pregnant. No restrictions. I'm doing more cardio than strength training right now but that's only for the first few weeks as I get back into my routine.
  • jackieJa2015jackieJa2015 member
    edited January 2016
    Wow, I am amazed that most of you are already working out same as before pregnancy. Kudos to you all! i am more in the boat of considering carrying the baby (even one ) a workout. I should at least stop worrying about a power walk I guess .

I thought crunches and other exercises for the direct abs are not recommend still for some time because of the potential split of the abs.. you don't have any problems with that? I was even warned at my PP massage at 7wks that I should not sit up straight up from the bed cause of the abs!

edited cas my messege was cut in half..
  • I will be 7 weeks post csection tomorrow and I waited to start working out until today. I was given the okay last week but I was dealing with bleeding still and then got the good old period. Anyways! We r all good now so it makes working out more comfortable. I biked 6 miles today and besides my legs killing me it was pretty good so far. I will keep biking everyday for at least 30 mins and I want to start some kind of sit ups or ab workouts just not sure which ones r good and will help the most? Maybe someone that has been here done this route of having a baby can shed some light on the best ab workouts?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • As soon as I got the green light, first thing I did was pick up my son who is 50lbs. As far as ab exercises, my dr told me the best is to plank so I will follow her advice. I just started doin squats and leg exercises but mostly when I am trying to rock the baby to sleep. She loves leg lifts ha! I hope to hit the trails this week for some running but it depends on the weather. I love running in the cold but I am nervous about bringing LO out in freezing temps.
  • Kern91 said:

I will be 7 weeks post csection tomorrow and I waited to start working out until today. I was given the okay last week but I was dealing with bleeding still and then got the good old period. Anyways! We r all good now so it makes working out more comfortable. I biked 6 miles today and besides my legs killing me it was pretty good so far. I will keep biking everyday for at least 30 mins and I want to start some kind of sit ups or ab workouts just not sure which ones r good and will help the most? Maybe someone that has been here done this route of having a baby can shed some light on the best ab workouts?

My dr told me the best ab workout for c sec mamas is planking. She said that crunches and sit ups can split the muscles and make them expand. I actually always did see better results from planks and find them easier to do so I am going to stick to that for now.
  • When you all do planks for how long and how many times a day do you plank for? I tried to do a plank and it sucked it hurt my incision area bad. So I did a "girl" one which still sucked but at least it was something. I never did planks before and I won't be doing sit ups or crunches anytime soon since it was suggested by others and their doctors. Which btw my doctor didn't even say anything about not doing sit ups or crunches!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Start slow and yes a "girl" one counts as something. I started at 20 seconds 3 times a day and am slowly working up. They don't really hurt my incision so if it hurts you bad, maybe ask your dr.