March 2015 Moms

Baby's First Birthday

Our families live about 5 hours away and have already started asking if we're having a birthday party for our daughter in March. It may just be because we just got over the holidays but even the thought of planning a birthday party makes me stressed out! Part of me wants to skip it since she wouldn't know the difference anyway, but the other part of me worries I'll regret it. IF we have one it would be where we live and some of our family members already said they'd travel to come to it. I feel guilty having them make that trek, but also guilty when I think of not having a party. Are there any moms out there who have skipped a first birthday for one of their kids? Did they regret it after the fact? I just don't want to add one more thing to stress out about as I'm about to start planning a baby shower for my SIL. Any advice our input would be appreciated! Signed, One Tired Mama

Re: Baby's First Birthday

• We are just going to have a very simple at home 1st birthday with a small cake and a home cooked meal or bbq. I would prefer it just be us three but of some DH's family lives in town so we will probably have them over as well. 
  • We had a party for my son's first birthday two years ago and will have one for our daughter as well.  We just went to a pizza place, took up about 3 or 4 large tables & visited with local family and friends.  We'll probably do something at the house for our daughter, but I'm not sure yet.  Both of their birthdays are in March (two weeks apart), so eventually I'll probably just combine them into one party, but I feel like she should get her own first birthday.  They don't know what's going on, but at this age it isn't 'for them' as much as it is 'for us/others'.  For me its a milestone I want to acknowledge.  I already feel like our daughter is getting the short end of things (time, money, attention, getting pictures done on time), and don't want to have her birthday included in that.
  • Loading the player...
  • My DH is in the military and unfortunately we won't be near family for my boy's first birthday(our family is on the west coast and we are moving to the east coast a month before his birthday!) so it will just be the three of us and I'll probably make him a sugar free smash cake and some decorations for pics. I think you should do something, more for you not for everyone else just for the memory, but only do what you want as far as planning, yes they won't remember, but I bet you'll want those pictures later or at least a story to tell :)
  • I've been looking into my LO first bday too. I don't want to go all out crazy... Especially since we're going to have it at our house since t'll be March and probably snowy still. I plan on making a few invitations to give to immediate family (who would keep them as keepsakes) and just tell others by word of mouth. They can come if they want, I know people get crazy about 1st bdays and I don't want any feelings hurt. there will be minimal snacks (IM not feeding everyone) and the party will have a definite time limit to get everyone to leave. I think on a Sunday 2-4pm. I do want pictures to remember his first bday but I don't plan to go all out and crazy with it.