Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Changing nipple flow?

How important is it to change the nipple flow on my son's bottles? He'll be 6 months next week and it will cost me about $75 to switch his stage 2 nipples to stage 3. I'd rather spend the money on switching out his pacifiers because I feel like that can affect the way his teeth continue to grow in. Thoughts?

Answers

• IME your LO will let you know if he wants the nipple flow changed. He might get annoyed if it's going too slow or he could be totally fine with them. I don't think I ever moved past level 2 with either of my kids. This is really up to you.

And how the heck does it cost $75 for new nipples???

• They're $5 for two nipples and we have 30 bottles.
  • Loading the player...
  • They're $5 for two nipples and we have 30 bottles.

How do you go through that many bottles? We have 7 or 8 just enough for the day and we wash them daily. Not judging, just curious. My LO is 5 months and we have never changed the flow of the nipple.
  • We have 6 MAM bottles that we use regulary over here... I bf when he is with me, but he gets a bottle while he at my sisters during the day while i work ft, and she just washes it each time before he eats... then he gets one pumped bottle before bed plus nursing.  My son will be 7 months this week, and so far it is working for us.  i end up doing bottle dishes every 2-3 days.
  • mrsb30 said:
    They're $5 for two nipples and we have 30 bottles.
    How do you go through that many bottles? We have 7 or 8 just enough for the day and we wash them daily. Not judging, just curious. My LO is 5 months and we have never changed the flow of the nipple.

This. I think we had like 6 bottles for each of my kids! Sorry OP, I know this is NOT the point of your post. I get sidetracked easily.
  • Why not just buy a handful of nipples and wash them after each use?
  • We found trainer sippy cups (they have high flow nipples and then a sippy cup top that you can switch over to) that we changed over to when the medium flow was too slow. Now she drinks out of regular sippy cups and they are sooooo much cheaper. The trainer cups were $5 and then the regular sippy cups are about $2-$3. So much cheaper than bottles or buying new nipples. We started the trainer cups at about 6 1/2 months. We also only have about 10 of the sippy cups now though.