August 2015 Moms
Options

Venting -a long way to go

tarheelgirl8tarheelgirl8 member
edited January 2016 in August 2015 Moms
Today a coworker told me that in her old department a woman was nursing/pumping. She sent out an email when she came back from leave saying I will have my door closed at these times, please do not disturb me. I will be available by phone and email. Then someone posted a paper on her door that said "TMI!!" while she was pumping. I would go off if I found out people were doing stuff like that or talking like that behind my back!

Sometimes I think we've come a long way in accepting BFing and then I hear something like that and realize how far we still have to go.

Needless to say, now I'm super paranoid.

Re: Venting -a long way to go

• Options

I don't blame you.  That sucks, and I don't blame you for being paranoid.  If I were her, I would tell HR.

I feel like a lot of things regarding women's bodies (like periods and breastfeeding) are treated like things to be ashamed of or hidden by society.  I agree that we have come a long way, but there is still more to do to normalize these things.

• Options
    Thats super annoying. Every time I pump at work someone is always knocking and expects me to answer but I dont. Last week I was at a family party on my husband's side and I accidentally dropped my nipple shield and when we left I realized it so I called my sister in law to see if she could find it and she was laughing histerically and some other family members found it as well. She was acting grossed out. My SIL also breastfed and used a nipple shield so I wasn't sure why it was so funny of grosse. Anyway, people are just weird about a normal natural thing.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That's disgusting! I pumped at work for 6 weeks before weaning and I had a lot of support. Only had 1 person tell me TMI when I said I was leaving for 20min to pump
  • Options
    That's a shame really.
  • Options
    So, I bring a manual pump with me when I go snowmobiling with my husband and friends, I have to ride behind some trees or hang behind for a few minutes to pump twice during the day. Our usual group knows what I'm doing and just keeps riding while they wait. Well my husband's single uncle went with us on Christmas day and he thought I wasn't coming because I was stuck, he came back to help dig out the sled and it took him a bit to realize what I was doing, he was mortified and definitely more embarrassed than I! Lol! Poor guy.