October 2015 Moms

Tossing and flailing

My son, just over 8 weeks old, keeps tossing, flailing his arms around and moving his head from side to side when sleeping. He only does it at night and seems to have started it the last few weeks. He used to be a great sleeper but now this. I share the bed with him and love him next to me, but I am not getting enough sleep anymore! Is it normal for babies to do that?

Re: Tossing and flailing

• Try swaddling. My LO flails and keeps herself awake unless one or both of her arms are swaddled.
  • Yea normal from what I have seen with my little one. We ended up putting her in the nursery early on due to this because even if she was sleeping in the Rock and play in our room it would keep us awake while she was still sleeping. Now she sleeps more settles but still has nights where's she restless and moves a lot despite being fed burped and changed. We let her be and she usually settles on her own. I think it's good because she has learned to soothe and settle herself due to this.
  • Loading the player...
  • My daughter did this. She couldn't stand the swaddled arms, although we tried to make it work. We started using a white noise app all night. and it stopped her from flailing around I her sleep! (We were using it just to help her fall asleep)
  • I have a baby sleep CD which I have on at night. It seemed to work for a bit. It certainly put me to sleep :#
    I swaddled him for the first time today. Not too tight, but enough for him to not get his arms out. After not long, he kicked and wiggled himself free. The blanket ended up on his face. Thank god I checked in him when I did! Not looking forward to going to bed!
  • You may want to try Merlins Magic Sleep Suit. It really is magic! It's a good transition out of the swaddle.
  • My little guy started doing this around 7 weeks. I put him in the Woombie....he still does it in there, but it restricts his movements, which prevents him from being startled. Without it, he is all over the place and won't sleep. With it, I'm getting about 4 hour stretches of sleep.
  • kaza512 said:

My daughter did this. She couldn't stand the swaddled arms, although we tried to make it work. We started using a white noise app all night. and it stopped her from flailing around I her sleep! (We were using it just to help her fall asleep)

My DS flails like this pretty often, I think it's usually due to trying to poop. He also hates having his arms swaddled, so we only swaddle from the chest down, with his arms out. We also use white noise and it seems to work great!
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker