September 2015 Moms
Options

Caffeine and let down

I've been having such a slow let down that babe is getting really frustrated. I've read that it may be associated with caffeine and I've been having a bit more lately because I'm so tired!

I've totally stopped now but does anyone have the same experience and any info on how long it may take for my letdown to correct if that is the problem?

Re: Caffeine and let down

• Options
    I've been having a small (sometimes medium) cup of decaf a day for the last few weeks and haven't noticed a problem while nursing or pumping. Maybe it's because I've been sticking with decaf or everyone's body responds differently??
  • Options
    I've heard that drinking a cold glass of water can help trigger letdown faster. No idea about the caffeine though.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks! Will try that tomorrow morn!
  • Options
    I usually drink 1-2 cups a coffee in the morning. However, I drink a 20oz ice water in between and I drink over 100oz total in my day. My let down isn't effected. It IS effected when I don't eat enough calories.
  • Options
    I have a 16-oz coffee each day (teacher, I carry it around all morning), but then I also drink two large water bottles (total of 70 oz) the rest of the day. My supply has stayed constant! (And FYI, I started a new position that is much more flexible as far as bathroom breaks go, otherwise I wouldn't be able to drink so much!!!) ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure it's NOT the caffeine, but it might be dehydration from drinking too much coffee and not enough water. Check out Kellymom.com regarding caffeine, it's got some good info.

• Options
    susubaby said:

I usually drink 1-2 cups a coffee in the morning. However, I drink a 20oz ice water in between and I drink over 100oz total in my day. My let down isn't effected. It IS effected when I don't eat enough calories.

Me too! Except I don't actually know how many ounces of water I drink lol
  • Options
    I drink two large iced coffees a day and plenty of water. I've had no problems.
  • Options
    Thanks all! I've dropped the caffeine and will up my water intake and fingers crossed it all goes back to normal!!
  • Options
    I drink a water bottle full after each feeding, that's 36oz. You wanna make sure you're drinking enough water while drinking caffeine. I also use fenugreek and mothers milk tea in the morning. I was able to get a huge freezer stash.