November 2015 Moms

Sudden drop in milk production

My baby is 7 weeks old. I had an over-abundance of milk (able to pump about 8-10 oz. at a time) until three days ago. Now I'm only able to get an ounce in a pump session. It seemed to happen in an instant! My son is also having to nurse more frequently around the clock, and he's fussy and obviously not being satisfied. He normally gets his fill in about 5-10 minutes. Now he's nursing for 45 minutes or so every 1-2 hours, and he's still not content. I don't think it's a growth spurt. We dealt with that a couple of weeks ago and it was a different experience. I'm exhausted, and my nipples are raw! I'm also very determined to breastfeed exclusively for at least 6 months. He has plenty of dirty and wet diapers, so I'm pretty sure he's getting enough, but I can't seem to increase my production no matter what I do! I've continued to feed on demand, pumped after nursing, mothers milk tea which has fenugreek, lactation cookies... Also plenty of water. The works. I also ordered some fennel essential oil. I just want to know what's causing it so I can have some peace of mind and know that it's either going to go back to normal or I can figure out what to do about it. Today, I noticed some signs of ovulation, which I understand may contribute to sudden dips in supply, but it seems really early for that, right?

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences and if you have any advice to offer.

Sorry for the lengthy ramblings! Thanks in advance for any responses!

Re: Sudden drop in milk production

• Can you get in to see an LC? I would seek professional help because that seems strange.
    Some people do get AF back very early, sadly.
    Sorry I'm no help!
  • @Pontot31 is the breastfeeding expert here so I would go with her suggestion of seeing a LC.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Aww thanks @MargaretC5 ;) I've actually thought about a career change of becoming an LC I enjoying nursing so much and helping my friends with their issues. It's just a dream for now though.

My other thought, OP is that maybe it is a growth spurt and baby is taking all your milk so you wouldn't be able to pump as much.
    I have a pretty big supply but with in an hour of BPing if I pump I only get about 2 ounces per side.
    If they have enough wet and dirty diapers then they are getting enough. Maybe your supply just leveled out? Pumping 8-10 ounces right after you feed would be an over supply and I would actually worry about having that much and becoming engorged or worse.
    Either way I would probably go see a professional if you're concerned.
  • smnewbysmnewby member
    edited January 2016
    Agree w talking to lc but in the meantime increase your fenugreek, I doubt the tea has the recommended dose.
  • Also, just want to note that fenugreek can either boost your supply or hurt it. So to be honest, if I were in your position I would not take any additional fenugreek unless you seek help from an LC and they suggest that it may be helpful to you.
  • No idea what's causing that, but I have struggled with low production since my son was born. I second the PP about reaching out to a lactation consultant for help. If you call the hospital you delivered at, you should be able to set up a consultation. They can weigh you and the baby before and after a feed to determine to the ounce what they are getting to make sure it's enough.
  • kmd91 said:

Also, just want to note that fenugreek can either boost your supply or hurt it. So to be honest, if I were in your position I would not take any additional fenugreek unless you seek help from an LC and they suggest that it may be helpful to you.

I felt I got less when using fenugreek... I thought it seemed off

• Thank you all for the suggestions! I noticed my supply creeping back up around Thursday/Friday. Last night, I fed my son, then pumped 6 ounces! I'm so relieved! One of my friends goes to a breastfeeding support group, and she said she learned that it's typical to see a temporary drop around 6-8 weeks due to hormonal changes. Maybe that's all it was. Thanks again, everyone!
  • I'm glad you were able to get your production increased again.  It's very scary to have a sudden drop in production.  This probably wasn't your issue, but I was prescribed antihistamines and I dropped from 2 - 3oz a pumping session to drops.  It scared the hell out of me until I figured out what was causing it.
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• As far as ovulation goes I got my damn period at freakin 7 weeks pp and I EB, I was kinda pissed, my emotions were super crazy a few days before and the day of. I think I was a crazy lady!
  • smnewbysmnewby member
    edited January 2016
    I eb and had my period at 7 weeks pp too. Appearantly my supply likes to tank a few days before i begin to bleed. As if pms wasnt enough!
  • @Cook3133 didn't you feel betrayed when you got your period lol!

When I got my first post-partum period with my son I thought something was wrong because everyone swore I wouldn't get it as long as I nursed. I'm on baby #2 and I'm still peeved hahahaaa

@pregnantteacher2 you should check your pump as well. I change the membranes (the white flappy part) once a month which seems to help. Also sometimes the motor wears a lot faster than you would expect so keep an eye on that. If that's the case check with your insurance to see if you can get a new one since it's a new calendar year and everything resets