Infertility

Testing out HCG Shot...*possible chemical pregnancy*

BRW921BRW921 member
edited January 2016 in Infertility
I have been testing out my trigger and yesterday 8DPT I got a BFN knowing it is probably to early for a true positive. Today I tested and after 5 minutes it was negative but after drying it has the most faint positive line!!! I know I will get this answered in the morning or so by whether or not it gets darker or is no longer there. But is it possible that this BFP is just a fluke? I also had my progesterone blood test today and it was a 53! I am trying not to get to excited because last time it was a 42 and I still got a BFN.

Re: Testing out HCG Shot...*possible chemical pregnancy*

• Unfortunately, this happened to me last cycle and it really got me down. At 8DPO I tested and was BFN. A few days later I *thought* I got my BFP at 11DPO, but it was not. Apparently when I tested at 8DPO my urine was too diluted and I still had the trigger in my system... I ended up still having the trigger in my system all the way until I got my period on 14DPO. 

I hope this isn't the case for you.
    DS#1: born Dec 29, 2013 
    TTC#2 since Sept 2014 - unexplained secondary IF
    BFP #2: 11.7.14  M/C: 11.27.14 @ 6w3days
    BFP #3: 04.19.2015 M/C 04.27.15 @ 4w3days
    BFP #4: 10.05.2015 C/P @ 3w4days
    Oct 11, 2015: Cycle 13. Starting Femara (2.5mg). HSG this cycle (all clear) - BFN
    Nov 12, 2015: Cyle 14. Femara 5mg + IUI - BFN
    Dec 10, 2015: Cycle 15. Femara 5mg + IUI #2 - BFP #5! C/P 4w4d
    Jan 10, 2016: Cycle 16. Femara 5mg + IUI #3 - BFN.
    Feb 10, 2016: Cycle 17.  No IUI or meds. Taking a break - Natural BFP Mar 5, 2016!!!! EDD Nov 16, 2016
    Moving to IVF March 2016
    Beta at 10dpo: 21, Beta at 12dpo: 98, Beta at 14dpo: 264, Beta at 16dpo: 745
    U/S 6w6d: single beautiful heartbeat of 121bpm - It's a boy!!!!
    Nov 3, 2016: Our family became complete. Welcome DS #2.
  • It sounds like an evaporation line, I'm afraid. 

It's too early to be testing. I did that for a while, testing every day, but I learned that it was really bad for my mental health. A BFN is a BFN, but it really hurts to get a BFN every day. And if it is positive, it probably won't show up early, and all the negative tests will just make you feel bad.

If you have the strength, put down the pee sticks and wait.
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• Loading the player...
  • I agree with the PPs above me.  The only way to know for sure is to just test at 14dpo or later.  I learned this the hard way too.  Progesterone levels actually don't have anything to do with pregnancy and are just an effect of ovulation in order to support a possible pregnancy.  Wait to POAS at 14dpo and that will be your answer!  Good luck.
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • I agree with pp that it sounds like an evap line... I can't stand the heartache of seeing the negative so I wait until the day before AF is due. That is the earliest I am willing to test anymore. I hope for you however that it is a true positive. Keep us updated!

***TW****MC mentioned & BFP mentioned***

me 38 DH 39.  
    TTC#1 since July 2014
    AMH 0.1, DOR, Poor responder
    Moved to Prague, Czech Republic for IVF
    2 Natural IVF cycles, 3 full IVF cycles, 4 transfers, 1 BFP - heard heartbeat at 6w5d
    Diagnosed MMC at 9w1d on 11/30/15
    Headed back home to Colorado 12/12/15

DE attempt in Czech Republic!! 

March trip to Prague canceled due to Pancreatitis. :sob:
    Headed to Prague April 30
    3 different donors resulted in 1 PGS tested embryo and 1 fresh embryo
    2 embryo's transferred (from 2 different donors) on 5/10/16
    BFP on 5/15/16 at 5dp5dt
    Beta 1 = 81 at 8dp5dt, Beta 2 = 295 at 10dp5dt, Beta 3 = 891 at 12dt5dt. Beta 4 = 2114 at 14dp5dt, Beta 5 = 4916 at 16dp5dt, Beta 6 = 13252 at 19dp5dt
    Heartbeat at 6w5d 133BPM <3
    We are having a GIRL!!! Due Jan 26, 2017

BabyFruit Ticker

My blog: www.wearethehammitts.blogspot.com

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Thank you all for your responses! The first cycle I triggered I wanted to test so bad and I didn't because I didn't want it to be false from the trigger. This time I wanted to know when the trigger was out for sure and just keep testing. I don't get my hopes up when I saw the bfn on 8dpt because I know it's to early but the same thing happened this morning 10 dpt as 9dpt it was Neg until after it dried a while then had a faint positive but also it was in the same box so I will wait till tomorrow but they are a different brand starting tomorrow. My beta is Monday at 9 so I won't be for sure either way till then! I know it is silly but me and my husband have such a good feeling about this cycle and we didn't on the previous one so we are very hopeful that 2016 is our year! Good luck to all of you as well!
  • BRW921 said:
    Thank you all for your responses! The first cycle I triggered I wanted to test so bad and I didn't because I didn't want it to be false from the trigger. This time I wanted to know when the trigger was out for sure and just keep testing. I don't get my hopes up when I saw the bfn on 8dpt because I know it's to early but the same thing happened this morning 10 dpt as 9dpt it was Neg until after it dried a while then had a faint positive but also it was in the same box so I will wait till tomorrow but they are a different brand starting tomorrow. My beta is Monday at 9 so I won't be for sure either way till then! I know it is silly but me and my husband have such a good feeling about this cycle and we didn't on the previous one so we are very hopeful that 2016 is our year! Good luck to all of you as well!
    It's not silly at all. It's so important to remain positive and optimistic. Best of luck to you. Keep us posted on Monday xoxo
    DS#1: born Dec 29, 2013 
    TTC#2 since Sept 2014 - unexplained secondary IF
    BFP #2: 11.7.14  M/C: 11.27.14 @ 6w3days
    BFP #3: 04.19.2015 M/C 04.27.15 @ 4w3days
    BFP #4: 10.05.2015 C/P @ 3w4days
    Oct 11, 2015: Cycle 13. Starting Femara (2.5mg). HSG this cycle (all clear) - BFN
    Nov 12, 2015: Cyle 14. Femara 5mg + IUI - BFN
    Dec 10, 2015: Cycle 15. Femara 5mg + IUI #2 - BFP #5! C/P 4w4d
    Jan 10, 2016: Cycle 16. Femara 5mg + IUI #3 - BFN.
    Feb 10, 2016: Cycle 17.  No IUI or meds. Taking a break - Natural BFP Mar 5, 2016!!!! EDD Nov 16, 2016
    Moving to IVF March 2016
    Beta at 10dpo: 21, Beta at 12dpo: 98, Beta at 14dpo: 264, Beta at 16dpo: 745
    U/S 6w6d: single beautiful heartbeat of 121bpm - It's a boy!!!!
    Nov 3, 2016: Our family became complete. Welcome DS #2.
  • *UPDATE* for the last to days I tested very very faint positive on FRER... And this morning it was significantly darker BFP!! Going in on mondayfor my beta! Hoping this is finally the real deal!
  • @BRW921 FX and GL!! I am on 8DPT and couldn't help myself from testing. I got a very faint line but pretty sure it could be from the trigger shot. How much did they have you take? They put me on 10,000. But for the past few days, I've been cramping in my lower abdomen, feel swelling in the stomach also, have cold like symptoms, and my nipples are sore. This is my first IUI.
  • @Jlowen2 I also had 10000 I tested out my trigger on 8dpt and started getting faint positives on 12dpt I am feeling all the same symptoms as you too so hopefully you will get your BFP this month two!
  • @BRW921 Thanks for the update! I'm really anxious but will test again in a few days. Definitely update me on how Monday goes!! :smile:
  • @BRW921 any news yet? Hope it's good!
  • Went for blood work this morning waiting on the call and the suspense is killing me!
  • Fx!!! I'm going through exactly like you are. I kept getting a faint positive until 8dpiui and then the next day, it was negative so I'm waiting till 12dpiui to test again. Gl!!!
  • That's awesome! Congrats! I hope so too! :smile: and look up on YouTube of wives announcing to husbands, there is some good ones.
  • @BRW921 did they put you on progesterone also?
  • I was already on progesterone suppositories and I'm also on estrodial
  • I wasn't sure. I'm on progesterone now and I notice that some symptoms could be of the progesterone. I can't wait to test in a couple days.
  • @bfn921 did you test 11dpt and get a Bfn?
  • I started getting faint positives at 12dpt but don't lose hope yet it's still early and everyone's different thinking of you this week and praying you get a BFP soon!
  • Thank you! I'm very excited for you! I'll wait to test on Friday, I'll definitely say it on here first.
  • unfortunately my second beta this morning dropped from 25 to 10...... so they just called and said they think it is a chemical pregnancy and ill go in on friday for one last beta.
  • I'm really sorry :( I hope it turns around for you! I'll pray for you!
  • Oh no @BRW921!! I'm so sorry to hear that. Same thing happened to me this cycle. Darn those chemicals!!!
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31
    Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014
    Blog: ourbinarystar.com

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• So far, a Bfn but today I started having very little spotting. I have pcos so AF doesn't come around until another few months. Could it be implantation?
  • So sorry! Chemicals are the worst - they totally play with your mind and emotions. BUT on a positive note, you were able to get pregnant! (At least that's what I told myself during mine) Now the battle is staying pregnant.

Have you gotten your results back from today yet?

• @Jlowen2 it could be anything is possible have you tested yet?

@mtpbadger my beta was 4 today so they said it was for sure chemical they were worried that it was a possible ectopic before so that's that.... That was my fist time to ever get a positive in two years so I definitely got my hopes up and so did my husband i think the hardest part was telling him. We were high risk this month for multiples I had four mature follicles when I triggered. We have an appointment with my RE Wednesday afternoon to discuss the next steps. Do they normally have you skip a cycle after a chemical?
  • Also I forgot to mention this but Tuesday evening they called and told me my thyroid levels were low... I started taking synthroid the next morning I'm not sure if that had anything to do with the loss
  • I'm so sorry. It's never easy hearing the news that your levels are going down. I've had two chemicals, second and third IUI. I didn't have to skip a cycle, just waited until my levels returned to normal and then jumped right into the next one. How many have you done?

I'm still dealing with my most recent one and my RE was really worried it was ectopic but thankfully it wasn't. Every little twinge I got I was a nervous wreck for a week. I got my BPF on nov 15 and it rose at first but not enough and it is taking forever to go down. As soon as it does ill be starting IVF.

After my first chemical, my RE said that now we know the sperm and egg were able to do what they needed to do and they started looking for other issues (mine most likely being thin lining). Hopefully them figuring out your thyroid is another step in the right direction.

Take care of yourself this weekend and allow yourself to grieve if needed. Keep us updated on your appointment with your RE.
  • @BRW921 I tested this morning but a bfn, I will test again tomorrow. I'm so sorry that you have to deal with that. I hope that next round will be your time.