Pregnant after a Loss

Saying hi and just getting this off my chest (loss mentioned)

Hi everyone,

Sorry - after I got done I realized this is ridiculously long. I'm new to this board. I just need to get this all off my chest - I can't really talk to anyone yet other than my husband.

A little background:
My husband and I have 2 beautiful wonderful littles. When our now 3 and a half year old was 1 we decided we wanted to start trying for #3. He had taken around 9 months of trying (our first took just one month) so we were prepared for a bit of a wait. 2 years later we were at our wits end.
Apparently ovulating is a problem for me. We had tried Clomid, but I was at the max my OB wanted to do and we weren't really wanting to go with more intense fertility treatments since we do have 2 perfect littles already. So we sort of took a break from all the stress of trying. Lo and behold - I got pregnant in September 2015. My progesterone levels were low at 10.1 and I was put on progesterone suppositories until 12 weeks. Everything was normal and wonderful at my first ultrasound around 7 weeks. Our next appointment was just a checkup at 11 weeks and they didn't listen for a heartbeat - just a blood pressure/weight check. My next appointment was set for 14 weeks. But at 13 weeks, just one week after we had shouted our news from the rooftops to literally everyone we knew, I started bleeding....a lot. I rushed to my OBs office for a sono and, with our two kids with us (because I didn't have time to take them to anyone) we learned that our baby no longer had a heartbeat. I had miscarried around 8.5 weeks and had no symptoms at all until the bleeding at 13 weeks. Devastated doesn't even come close to describing our heartbreak (as I'm sure you all unfortunately understand). My d&c was November 6.

We wanted to try again as soon as possible. I have been taking ovulation tests several times a day for the last few weeks with no luck, so we hadn't really 'tried' at all. Always always a negative. Then, last week, two days before Christmas, I finally got a suuuuuuper positive ovulation test!!! And for 5 days afterword it was really really positive :/. So after some googling around, I decided to try a pregnancy test - which what do you know - it was positive! My OBs nurse called me today with yesterday's blood results and hcg is good, but progesterone is 10.5 and tonight will be my first progesterone suppository again. I must have bawled for a full hour after I got that call. I can't believe it's starting out exactly the same again :(. I'm trying to stay positive and read success stories - but I'm terrified that I will miscarry again with such a low progesterone level.

Like I said, I just needed to get that all off my chest because we're not telling anyone after the awfulness of having to tell literally everyone we knew that we had lost the last baby. Thanks for listening :)
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Saying hi and just getting this off my chest (loss mentioned)

• Welcome and congratulations on your bfp! I had a similar situation to you. In April we had a missed miscarriage at 12.5 weeks and baby stopped growing at 8weeks 4days. It was devastating to my husband and I and I wasn't ready to start trying again for a little over 4 months. We got a bfp in October and I was put on progesterone right away to help keep my levels up and I am now 13 weeks 6 days with a perfectly healthy baby! I know it's scary and nerve wracking especially when you were blindsided by a loss but don't lose hope! This is an amazing board with so many supportive women! I hope that you have a very healthy and happy 9 months :)
  • Welcome to the board and congratulation on your BFP.  I know it doesn't help to think of it as being out of your hands, but that is how I dealt with the up and downs of it.  I say dealt, but I was a hot mess until after the point where my MMC was discovered last time (12wks).  I am now pregnant with a little girl and will be 27wks tomorrow, it all seems so surreal since we started our journey to become parents a year ago and have gone through more heartache than I thought.  Anyway I wish you a happy and healthy 9 months.
    BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"
  • Loading the player...
  • I hope everything works out well for you this time! Good luck!
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• jacobsone2jacobsone2 member
    edited December 2015
    I'm sorry for your loss and congrats on the bfp! I know how stressful it is (we all know). One thing that I try to think about is this. This is a whole new pregnancy and the chances of the same thing happening are very small. I tell myself this when I freak out, which happens a lot! Also, ask your doctor if they can see you more often until you feel comfortable. I asked mine to monitor me more this time around bc in June I had my second miscarriage. I have already had 3 or 4 ultrasounds and I'm only 11w3d. Another thing that helps me is my Doppler. I bought it on eBay, I think for $40. I listen to the baby in the morning and before bed. It helps me stay sane between appointments.
  • Congrats in the pregnancy! I know how hard a new pregnancy can be after a loss. And when the doctor appears nonchalant when all you need is reassurance feels torturous. Insist this time on any thing you need to make you feel more confident. Additional scans, more frequent dopplera, etc. I've found the the further I go in this pregnancy (15+2) the less worried I feel, although I am always aware now (unfortunately) that miscarriages happen and we can have no clue.

Thoughts and prayers with you and keep your head up. I know a lot of women who had low progesterone and carried a healthy pregnancy no problem. It usually is more of a problem if they don't know you had low progesterone. And from what I've been told by my doctor, missed miscarriages are due to chromosomal abnormalities typically, so wouldnt even be connected with you progesterone.
  • I'm so sorry you went through all of that, and I wish you a healthy sticky baby with this BFP! Congratulations! I'm only 3w5d right now but I can't tell anyone or get excited - I'm pretty much paralyzed at the thought of another loss. @June2016BabyW is right, a MMC is usually chromosomal abnormalities and likely nothing to do with your low progesterone.

DH and I have a mantra we repeat daily: "Today there's a baby, today I'm pregnant." And once we talk with the doctor tomorrow we will have more frequent monitoring to try to ease our minds. Good luck and I hope you find support here!
    TTC #1 - Started 7/2015
    MC #1 - 1/10/2014
    MC #2 - 10/15/2015

Pregnancy Ticker

• Thank you so much for your responses everyone! I think the anxiety is getting worse, unfortunately :). Maybe it's just this afternoon. I have 4 weeks until my first appointment, but today I couldn't stand it and left a message with the nurse asking her to talk to my OB and see if we could get an appointment this week or next. When everything happened a few weeks ago with the miscarriage he said that next time he would monitor me more often. And waiting until 9 weeks for my first ultrasound is terrifying at this point.

Actually, I have no idea how many weeks I would be. I never had a period after the d&c on November 6 and my ovulation strips tested negative every single day. I stopped bleeding from the d&c November 21ish though, so I don't have any idea how they'd calculate it.

Sigh. I'm so glad to have everyone's posts and support to read at times like this :). Thanks everyone!
  • That's hilarious! :). I feel the same way!

We got in for an ultrasound last night. We thought it was just barely 6 weeks and my husband was worried (rightly so) that we wouldn't hear a heartbeat because it was too early and I would spend the next few weeks freaking out. Luckily, thank God, we saw a tiny little heart beating a zillion miles an hour. I asked the OB if we could rent one of these things (the sono machine)