December 2015 Moms
Options

Rock N Play Question

For you mommies that have a little who sleeps in the Rock N Play- do you leave it on the 6 hour setting so it continues to rock while they sleep or the 30 minute setting so it on long enough for them to fall asleep?

Re: Rock N Play Question

• Options
    I always just do the 30minute setting. My LO doesn't wake up when it turns off so it hasn't been a problem so far.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We keep it rocking all the time. I doubt he would wake up when it stops, but I have come to find comfort in the noise it makes when it rocks.
  • Options
    I tried the 30 minute setting but he doesn't stay asleep long. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy for keeping it going so he sleeps passed the 30 minute rocking period. Out of everything we have he just loves this rock n play. Even just to sit and look around so I can get some stuff done around the house.
  • Options
    We usually just use the 30 minute setting. Typically she stays asleep when it shuts off, but on occasion she'll wake up and I'll set it for another 30 minutes.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Every night I sit there rocking my son in our NON auto rock n play and the other night I was thinking how they really need to make this automated. The next day I was looking it up on target to send to a friend and found that they do make an automated rocker and for only $5 more than ours! -_- I have no idea where that was in the many times we were looking at them!
    Anyways, we still have the box to ours so I will be exchanging it this week because it rocking itself would be HUGE in me getting more sleep. And I would prob just let it go for the 30 minutes since I've manually been doing it for only 10-20 minutes until he's asleep
  • Options
    I just went and exchanged mine for the auto yesterday and set it on 6 hours last night...my kid slept 5 hours straight and would have gone longer if I didn't need him to drain my boobs :o
  • Options
    Just a word of caution: my pediatrician said rock n plays and other swings are only okay for supervised naps. Baby's head could roll and cut off the airway. Wish I could use it for overnight but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
  • Options

Just a word of caution: my pediatrician said rock n plays and other swings are only okay for supervised naps. Baby's head could roll and cut off the airway. Wish I could use it for overnight but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Just wondering, how could their head rolling in this cut off their airway anymore than a crib/bassinet? I watch my son sleeping in this and even as far to the side as his head can go it's no where close to any material or fabric blocking his airway, if that what your pediatirician meant. I've been way more concerned about how his swaddle rides up covering his mouth and that happens anywhere he's sleeping.

This is advertised as "It’s an inclined sleeper and playtime seat in one, with music, sounds and hands-free rocking motion! An extra-deep seat helps baby sleep all night long"
    So I fee like there would be major lawsuits happening if babies suffocated and died in them
  • Options
    mrsdecember15mrsdecember15 member
    edited January 2016

Just wondering, how could their head rolling in this cut off their airway anymore than a crib/bassinet? I watch my son sleeping in this and even as far to the side as his head can go it's no where close to any material or fabric blocking his airway, if that what your pediatirician meant. I've been way more concerned about how his swaddle rides up covering his mouth and that happens anywhere he's sleeping.

This is advertised as "It’s an inclined sleeper and playtime seat in one, with music, sounds and hands-free rocking motion! An extra-deep seat helps baby sleep all night long"
    So I fee like there would be major lawsuits happening if babies suffocated and died in them
    He said that baby should sleep on a firm flat surface. The rock n play is inclined and soft. The crib mattress is flat and firm. Just sharing the advice of my pediatrician. Take it or leave it. :)

ETA The head can roll forward when inclined.
  • Options

I read this more as not that fabric gets in the way but rather than the way baby's head turns their airway could be hindered, kind of like the horrible story a few months ago about the baby who suffocated in the car seat because it wasn't strapped in all the way. Since our babies can control their necks yet, we have to be more careful about inclined laying surfaces. I would love to let my baby sleep all night in the RnP every night, because I think he would sleep better than in his crib, but I am far too paranoid about the same thing happening.
  • Options
    LaceyH13 said:

I read this more as not that fabric gets in the way but rather than the way baby's head turns their airway could be hindered, kind of like the horrible story a few months ago about the baby who suffocated in the car seat because it wasn't strapped in all the way. Since our babies can control their necks yet, we have to be more careful about inclined laying surfaces. I would love to let my baby sleep all night in the RnP every night, because I think he would sleep better than in his crib, but I am far too paranoid about the same thing happening.
    Yes! This is exactly what I mean. Thank you for making it clearer for me. Words are hard these days. ;)
  • Options
    LaceyH13 said:

It's so confusing with all the mixed professional info because when we were still in the hospital they had my son sleeping in a bassinet with a heavy incline because they said that was safer. I've since read so many stories of babies spitting up on their backs and choking or almost choking which I've seen my little guy spit up several time in the rnp but due to the incline it goes to his chest instead of staying in his mouth like when he's on his back
  • Options
    I'm still annoyed I didn't know about the one that rocked on its own, but anyways...my pediatrician said the Rock and play would be good for my DD to sleep in for a couple of weeks due to reflux and the slight incline it provided. We had her sleep in it for five weeks and then just this week moved her into our crib.
  • Options
    My pediatrician was ok with RNP as long as there was no extra blankets.. I've watched my son sleep in RNP during naps and sometimes at night and never once has his face come anywhere close to the fabric sides. I've tried his bassinet during naps and on several occasions at night and he won't sleep he just wakes right up. At this point it's in all our best interest to use RNP so we get some sleep at night. I know everyone has different views on sleeping in it and to each there own. I love my baby and I would never do anything that I wouldn't personally feel comfortable with. I do hope to get him to sleep on his back in his bassinet at some point but right now we are in the RNP.

I'm glad I created this post so you mommies who didn't know about the automatic version are now aware that it is made.

I didn't mean for this post to be negative and there is so much mixed information out there regarding babies and what is safe and what is not. I feel as a mom that we will each make the decisions that we feel most comfortable with and what works for our baby and each individual situation.
  • Options
    It's not because of the danger of baby's face in the fabric sides, it's the danger of baby's head rolling forward (Baby can't support his heavy head yet) and cutting off airways.

But yes, so much mixed info out there. Do what is right for your family.
  • Options
    My RNP sits so far back at an incline there is no possible way his head could roll forward...
  • Options
    Yes, babies should sleep on a firm flat surface. Will they? Not always. Both my babies have slept in the newborn napper on top of the pack n play, which is at a slight incline and is not a really firm surface and is not recommended for overnight sleep. It's worked for us. 

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    FYI
    I love my RNP and use it a lot during the day. DD is 3 weeks old and yesterday I noticed she was sweating a lot after a nap in her RNP. We have been putting down a soft blanket that she loves to make it more comfortable for her and I think that's why she was sweating. Anyway I'm aware or previous RNP mold issues so I check to see if it was damp from her sweat and it wasn't. Just out of curiosity I lifted the cover and stuck my hand in to feel the plastic part and it was soaked!! So was the cover (the part that has direct contact with the plastic). There was also a thin layer of dust (I think) but only on the plastic. I took everything off and cleaned the plastic part and let the cover air dry overnight.
    I never read the care instructions and since she hasn't had any accidents I haven't washed the cover since she's been using it. I still love the RNP and she's in it right now but I will for sure be keeping a better eye on it.
    Just wanted to give you ladies a heads up to check under the cover from time to time!
  • Options
    I've been keeping DS in the rock n play at night. He sleeps great in it and when he throws up as PPs said I feel better knowing it will go down his chest instead of suffocating him. But now this post has me worried. If you all don't use the rock and play what do you use? And if you put them in their crib in their own room, how do you not worry being separated from them?
  • Options
    lalg28 said:

I've been keeping DS in the rock n play at night. He sleeps great in it and when he throws up as PPs said I feel better knowing it will go down his chest instead of suffocating him. But now this post has me worried. If you all don't use the rock and play what do you use? And if you put them in their crib in their own room, how do you not worry being separated from them?

My LO has been in his crib in his own room since he was about 5 days old.

Nobody was getting any sleep with him in our room. He is a noisy sleeper, and both my DH and I were so jumpy and crabby. Our rustling would wake the baby up, too. It wasn't for us.

I keep the monitor by my bed (the first night I definitely kept it on the mattress next to my head), and we are starting to get some vague idea of a schedule, I have a general idea when he will wake up and keep an ear out for him. I worry less because I know a crib is the safest place for him to sleep. With the RnP the first few days I was afraid his airway would be cut off; I don't have to worry about that in the crib. I have seen him spit up while laying in the crib playing, and he either turns his head or it just goes out onto his chest. (He has pretty good neck control for 6 weeks; this gets less concerning the stronger his neck muscles get for me.)

I still worry a bit - it's only natural - but I deal with the worry better because I get better sleep. I am EBF so it is definitely more work for me to get up and go to his room every time he eats, but it seems to be the right choice for my family, which makes worrying less.