March 2016 Moms

Question Thread - "Stupid" or not - just ask away

Re: Question Thread - "Stupid" or not - just ask away

• okay.....i have been having some insomnia now for the past week or so and I can't take it anymore. I am going to breakdown and try some Unisom. Is there any particular brand/dosage I should be using??

January siggy challenge - Pregnant lady problems

• skruhminskruhmin member
    edited January 2016
    SparkE82 said:
    okay.....i have been having some insomnia now for the past week or so and I can't take it anymore. I am going to breakdown and try some Unisom. Is there any particular brand/dosage I should be using??

Sorry - quote box fail, but the regular Unisom sleep tabs.  25mg tabs with Doxylamine Succinate
    Oh and the other Unisom is just the active ingredient in Benedryl, so that will work too, but this one is usually recommended.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• Loading the player...
  • So I know a lot of moms (here and the Feb board) have mentioned going in for a growth scan/ultrasound. Is this normal or does it vary for different Drs/midwives/practices?
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• I've had one around mid-3rd trimester with both girls, but haven't heard anything about it from the midwives yet for this pregnancy. I'd be fine skipping it, they're notoriously wrong when they guesstimate size (said my 9 lb 10 oz baby was 7 lbs 12 oz 2 days before I had her!) And usually the bub is so squished in there that you don't get cute shots to ooh and aah over. So, meh.
  • CecilB93 said:

So I know a lot of moms (here and the Feb board) have mentioned going in for a growth scan/ultrasound. Is this normal or does it vary for different Drs/midwives/practices?

My doctor doesn't typically do them, but they're monitoring me because she's measured bigger a few times before.
  • my doctor doesn't do them unless there is a reason to check size (GD, pre-e, etc...)

January siggy challenge - Pregnant lady problems

• kitteh81 said:

I've had one around mid-3rd trimester with both girls, but haven't heard anything about it from the midwives yet for this pregnancy. I'd be fine skipping it, they're notoriously wrong when they guesstimate size (said my 9 lb 10 oz baby was 7 lbs 12 oz 2 days before I had her!) And usually the bub is so squished in there that you don't get cute shots to ooh and aah over. So, meh.

I had the same with my second son they said he'd be around 7 lbs and he came out 9lbs. I apparently don't know how to make small babies since both of mine where over 8 lbs.
  • I'm having a scan at 37 weeks (considered normal procedure at my practice) just to verify health, position and I'm sure guesstimate size. My plan will remain waiting for any intervention until 41 weeks unless something appears wrong, she's breech, or they really think she's like going to be 12 lbs. I didn't have any Ultra sounds past 22 weeks with dd1 and although I responded terribly to pitocin and had to have drugs to counter act it, I delivered my 10lb baby fine at 41 weeks. My mil is 5'7" medium built and vag delivered my 12lb husband. My mom is 5'11" and had two 7lb babies. My dr already asked if I wanted to schedule pitocin induction- not sure how early she would attempt it, but I declined. If I'm miserable and at least thinning/dialating somewhere after 38 weeks I might take pitocin. Otherwise, no.
  • I had 2 3rd tri growth scans with DD because I was measuring small. My uterus actually went down 2 appointments in a row, but I'm guessing that was because baby dropped. Afterward I thought they were a little unnecessary, but how could I refuse when Dr. mentioned the possibility of IUGR? They were super uncomfortable though, my last one was on my due date. I'm hoping not to repeat.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @kitteh81 I had one at 38 weeks because they were worried about growth. I always measured behind and I guess I was too small for too long. And I had high BP so that probably pushed them to do one too.
  • I had one at 36 weeks last time.  This time around I'll get 2, one at 32 weeks to check if my placenta has moved away from my cervix, and another one at 36 weeks to check on the size of the baby. All my friends that go to this same OB would get a 36 week scan so I think it's pretty standard for her practice. 
  • OK, I hate to veer away from the uterine slugs (or do I?), but I was just wondering if anyone could fill me in on why some people are anti-lanolin? I used it (and loved it) with my first, but I've seen in a few places that people don't use it and I'm genuinely interested. TIA.

Also, I'm having a growth scan at 28 weeks, but I think it's just because I'm AMA and had two previous consecutive losses. My OB is just being cautious. Also, my son was born 3w6d early at 8#4oz.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• ......what is lanolin.....?
  • ......what is lanolin.....?

It's a very thick cream used for dry cracked nipped when breastfeeding.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I used lanolin last time and had no issues. I put it on literally after every feeding and never had any cracking. I am curious too about people's objections (especially since I intend to buy some sort of nipple cream for the diaper bag this weekend)?
  • ehowa499ehowa499 member
    edited January 2016
    I was told by an ibllc (? What the real abbreviation is, I can never remember) to never use lanolin on dry and cracked nipples because it is too thick and hard. She said that unless you spent a long time softening and warming it up in your fingers, you would end up pulling on delicate, damaged skin. In my mind it would be like pulling dead skin off chapped lips, making them take longer to heal.

I used olive oil for the most part, and preferred that because it was super easy to put on, and basically free. I got some little foil baggies from the hospital cafeteria with some of my meals and kept the open one in a little Tupperware next to my rocker and my bed.

ETA: fixed some autocorrects gone bad

• Odd, lanolin saved my nipples those first few weeks.
    imageimage

• I've read/heard that coconut oil is pretty good for just about anything, so I feel like that would also be a good alternative for lanolin. I added some nipple balm or something to one of my two registries and honestly have no idea what it's made of...I'm pretty sure it's an organic one though.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• OK so I decided to do some more research on it after I posted and it turns out that people don't like it because it's not organic. I can live with the lack of organic options. Thanks ladies, sorry to bring it up and then research it myself!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• It can exacerbate thrush because it traps in yeast, according to my hospital Lc. Our hospital wouldn't even offer it. I was terrified of thrush so I avoided it. @cmerribury
  • During the abdominal check at my 29 week apt yesterday, the Dr said that baby's head is up by my ribs (no clue how she could tell that just by feeling around!). She said baby will hopefully flip in the next few weeks, if not we will discuss trying to manually turn the baby. Anyone have experience with this? There is still plenty of time for baby to turn - let's hope it does soon! 

• During the abdominal check at my 29 week apt yesterday, the Dr said that baby's head is up by my ribs (no clue how she could tell that just by feeling around!). She said baby will hopefully flip in the next few weeks, if not we will discuss trying to manually turn the baby. Anyone have experience with this? There is still plenty of time for baby to turn - let's hope it does soon! 

Look up spinning babies - lots of time rocking on an exercise ball, get on your hands and knees and arch your back too.  You still have a ton of time so I wouldn't worry.  DS2 officially turned by 35 weeks. 
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• https://www.walmart.com/ip/The-First-Years-Lanolin-Free-Nipple-Butter-2-oz/16767820#about

This is what I use- its lanolin free.  The only reason I haven't done lanolin is because this stuff costs half of what lanolin does.

February Siggy Challenge- Post pregnancy indulgences

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I still have some lanolin from my first (I wonder if it goes bad?)...
    BabyFruit Ticker

Prenatal yoga can be super helpful for this!! As well as calming you down and tons of other benefits, certain poses can flip the little one right over :) Here's a little info and workout video you can try! https://blog.mumberry.com/post/136111742287/prenatalyoga

• These are the gels I liked. I used them for about two weeks. After that I didn't need them any more.

https://www.ameda.com/accessories/breast-care-accessories/comfortgel-hydrogel-pads
  • I will be 30 weeks on Friday, and I only drink water and Sprite, every day. I went to the doctor and was a little dehydrated. Tonight, I had some of the mini bottle of a Gatorade G2. I didn't even drink the whole thing.. Really not even half. But, then I read that they have Artificial Sweetners. I also know they have a lot of Sugar and Sodium. So, I got concerned. Is this ok to have one every now and then? Did anyone else have Gatorade G2?
    Thanks y'all!
  • I will be 30 weeks on Friday, and I only drink water and Sprite, every day. I went to the doctor and was a little dehydrated. Tonight, I had some of the mini bottle of a Gatorade G2. I didn't even drink the whole thing.. Really not even half. But, then I read that they have Artificial Sweetners. I also know they have a lot of Sugar and Sodium. So, I got concerned. Is this ok to have one every now and then? Did anyone else have Gatorade G2?
    Thanks y'all!

I drink Gatorade frequently, and plenty of G2 early on. Currently drink lots of Nuun for electrolytes and extra vitamins, and it's sweetened with stevia. Wouldn't worry about it too much. Dehydration is probably much worse for you than a little sucralose and extra salt.
  • Anyone else not very good at realizing you're hungry until you're practically sick? In the last couple of weeks, my first realization that I'm hungry has been nausea or light headedness (though I do try to eat every two hours, when I can, and have always been a grazer). Yesterday I ended up feeling sick, weak, and sweating while walking home (it was 10 degrees F!), and had to devour candy as soon as I was home just to keep walking. I followed that with a huge dinner. Lol Is this just normal now that baby is smashing my stomach? Maybe I just need to up my calorie intake.
  • I've noticed my appetite has been decreasing too, I have to remind myself to eat sometimes.

• i can relate that I don't "feel hungry" as much, but somehow I still remember to eat. Every.two.hours. I thought that feeling huge and not sleeping would convince me to eat smaller meals, but those symptoms seem to come and go so I'm splurging a lot at meals still.
  • Ok this is probably silly but what is the best way to wash baby clothes? Hot cold? I'm assuming it's ok to dry? I don't know why but I'm petrified I'm going to shrink them all.

• eivaska said:
    Ok this is probably silly but what is the best way to wash baby clothes? Hot cold? I'm assuming it's ok to dry? I don't know why but I'm petrified I'm going to shrink them all.
    I just wash them normally - normal free and clear detergent (that's what we use on everything since I have sensitive skin) and dry with dryer sheets.  If you're super concerned, then wash with cold and dry on low.  I've never had an issue with shrinking baby clothes.  They're made with the same material your clothes are, so treat them the same.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• eivaska said:
    Ok this is probably silly but what is the best way to wash baby clothes? Hot cold? I'm assuming it's ok to dry? I don't know why but I'm petrified I'm going to shrink them all.
    I always do baby laundry on cold and dry on delicate to keep shrinkage to a minimum.  If something gets pooped on, I pre soak.  I don't use any special detergent, although you always can wash the first set in a detergent that is free and clear just in case.  For awhile I also used wool balls in the dryer with the baby clothes instead of dryer sheets in case of any potential skin allergies, but now I just do dryer sheets.  With this baby (second child) we re-prepped all the newborn clothes in normal detergent with dryer sheets :)
  • Ive already taken apart and washed all my clothes, blankets, sheets, and covers to swings, play mats, etc. I used baby detergent but also color catchers. Some items I had were very bright colors and I didn't want anything coming out with color bleeds on it. Just an idea.
  • If there is poop on the baby's clothes, just wash them like normal and dry it under the sun. The UV will take the poop stink out like a charm.  We usually air dry DD's clothes and wash in cold/cool water.  Now that we will have 2 kids, we will most likely start putting them in the dryer to make things a little bit easier (except for the poopy ones that we will dry under the sun).  
  • I agree, sunning will take out practically any stain!  It's kind of amazing.
  • I also have had a lot of success using dawn dish soap on poop stains. Quick scrub and rinse with dawn dish soap before I throw it in the wash really helps prevent stains.