April 2016 Moms

Going from pumping/formula to breastfeeding with next baby?

With DS1, I could not get a breastfeeding relationship to work. Apparently my hormones sent the "baby is born" signal to my milk ducts and never sent the message out to my nipples. They were so short that it was impossible for LO to latch on, so he never got enough milk, was constantly asking to eat, was losing too much weight, and was terribly fussy. I had two nurses tell me to just keep trying and looked at me like I was the failure. When the lactation consultant finally made it to me, she immediately recognized the problem and gave me a nipple shield along with a pump. She told me that it may take a few days for my nipples to get the message... Or they may never get the message. I could keep trying to breastfeed with the shield, but in the end, I would probably have to pick between formula and exclusively pumping.

I ended up having to exclusively pump, because even with the shield, I was getting blisters and bleeding. Once I started pumping, DS1 started gaining weight, sleeping more, was happier, and not needing as constant of feedings.

My question goes out to the third time moms... Did you do formula/pumping for your first and then have a successful breastfeeding relationship with your second? Was it really hard to breastfeed if you had so many issues the first time around? I still plan on having a pump handy, just in case I do have to exclude let pump again.

Anniversary

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Going from pumping/formula to breastfeeding with next baby?

• Poppy16Poppy16 member
    edited January 2016
    This probably won't be much encouragement, but this was my experience: With DS1, I had supply issues from the start, but didn't realize it. I tried everything, pumping often to increase my supply, nursing on demand, etc. Plus, one of my nipples is flat, so it was always hard for him to latch on to that breast. My nipples were cracked and bleeding, and it was just awful. For his first 2 months, he was fussy all the time, and in hindsight, probably very hungry. By 3 months he refused to nurse altogether, and we switched to formula feeding. For a FTM, it was an awful period of self-doubt, guilt, frustration, and every other negative emotion you can think of. 

When DS2 was born, I vowed to make a fresh start and try my hardest to make breastfeeding work. Sadly, I had the same issues. Only this time I stopped before the horrible frustration set in and we only made it to 6 weeks of nursing before switching to formula. With this baby, I have vowed to skip the mom guilt and nurse for as long as it works out, which may only be days or weeks, then switch to formula.

So, to answer your question, we had problems with the first baby, and the same problems with the second baby. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I could probably write a novel on this. But I'll try to keep it simple. I'm a third time mom. With my first breastfeeding was unsuccessful. I have flat nipples and she couldn't latch. I was producing milk but it wasn't flowing. She wouldn't take to the nipple shield either. I pumped and bottle fed for about a month, but I didn't have a good pump. As a ftm, I didn't recognize that was a problem and ended up with severe mastitis. I quit breastfeeding at that time (felt completely defeated and like a failure) and switched to formula.

With DD2 I had slightly better success. She had a much better latch, but my nipples were still flat. I ended up blistered and bleeding. Finally had to switch to EPing (with a hospital grade pump) and was able to continue until she was around 8 months.

I plan to try again this time and am hoping and praying for a better outcome. I will have a good pump at the ready just in case.
  • Loading the player...
  • rebelonerebelone member
    edited January 2016

I'm in the same boat as you, as a STM looking to establish a breastfeeding relationship after having complications during the first time around.

Sometimes those hospital nurses are awful when it comes to breastfeeding. I went through the same thing after DD was born. They looked at my as if my milk was supposed to come in immediately after the baby left the womb and I had a CSection. I also have inverted nipples, but LaLeche league says that shouldn't make a difference. Not the case for me. Milk may come in right away with other C Section mothers, but it wasn't the case for me. I struggled like hell in the hospital trying to get my milk started by pumping and I was also given a shield. They also looked at me as if I was also a failure and I felt like they treated me that way too, like I intentionally was starving my kid. I even tried supplementing with an SNS system and I could not get baby to latch. I'm going to a different hospital this time around, I don't want to get treated like that again. My milk didn't come in until 4-5 days later, and that's with trying to pump them all the time.

I ended up having to exclusively pump from thereon because baby never latched. I EP'ed until my supply dried up at 4 mos post partum. I tried domperidone, fenugreek, steel oat diet, lactation cookies, pumping on a schedule, all kinds of things. I just could never make the supply I needed if baby was directly breastfeeding. I've worked and worked with a lactation consultant and still baby just never latched. It was heartbreaking.

Who knows maybe this time around it might be completely different, at least I'm hoping. I plan on going directly to supplementing with an SNS so baby doesn't lose any weight and pumping the heck out of my nips to try and get things going. Things hopefully will be different from last time around or they can be completely the same. Either case, good luck to both you and me.

It's a boy! Grow baby, grow! EDD: 4/22/2016

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• So many of us struggle with this. My first daughter had severe reflux, which led her to eat less and throw up what she was getting. I tried working with a lactation consultant and pumping to boost my supply to no avail. I hated pumping and was so stressed by it that not much ever came out, even with a hospital grade pump. I even took those super expensive vitamins and wound up with an allergic reaction. The solution for us was to breast feed first and then supplement with formula. Even after supplementing with formula, her weight gain was not superb. It was such a horrible time for me, but once we found a solution and I let go of my negative feelings, things got better.

My second child went pretty smoothly. She didn't latch as readily as the first due to slight jaundice. Once that was out of her system after a few days, it was smooth sailing. I gave her a bottle occasionally if I was gone.

For my third, we will see what happens. I've experienced it both ways now and am prepared to do whatever is best for me and baby.

I have a friend who had a difficult time breastfeeding with her first child, but was able to do so with her second. My mother always had to switch to formula after a week or two. Each baby and mommy team is different. There is hope for a different experience the second time around, but sometimes it just doesn't happen. And that's ok.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imrachelleaimrachellea member
    edited January 2016
    I also had flat nipples with my DD1, discovered early on in the NICU and immediately started using a shield. We struggled for WEEKS because I didn't know until 2 months that she also had a tongue tie. We fought for three months to actually have a good BFing relationship and were thankfully successful. The nice thing is that because I EBF for 8 months (getting rid of the shield at 6 weeks), I will not have the flat nipple struggle this time around. There is so much pressurr to BF now and while I believe fighting through it is worth it, you have to do what is best for you and your kid. I'd say go prepared with nipple shields and cream to the hospital since you already know some road blocks.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I'm only going to be a STM but also had some serious issues with flat nipples and latching. The big problem we ran into was that dd absolutely refused the bottle - so we had to make nursing work. I'm not going to lie, it took a good 6 months for me to be free of issues related to nursing. I had it all, blisters, bleeding, burning, it was really painful. But we stuck with it and after that time my issues seemed to go away and I breasted until 15 months. Hoping so go around is better!
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • I have a friend who couldn't bf her first, but is still going at 1 year with her second. It's possible!
  • What a fantastic thread!  I'm in the same situation--I had an extremely difficult time breastfeeding DD1 (I ultimately weaned her at three months when my supply trickled down to nothing), but am going to try again with DD2.  I had tons of support and guidance (lactation consultants, docs, doula, weekly support group), tried everything ("triple feeding" eight times a day for three weeks, fenugreek, nipple shields, super pumping, etc.), and got everything (thrush, mastitis, clogs, bleeding).  If we encounter the same difficulties (DD1 still hadn't regained her birth weight at a month, plunging from the 50th to 3rd percentiles), I'll turn to formula a lot quicker and with less guilt and regret.
  • We had to supplement with formula after DS1 was 4 months old. Work killed my milk supply. I went dry at 9 months PP. If I have to exclusively pump again, it won't be the end of the world, but I would love it if breastfeeding just clicked this time around so that there is one less thing to stress about.

Anniversary

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker