August 2015 Moms

Spitting up while sleeping?

So my poor LO is 4 months old, and has had congestion and earaches for the past 6 weeks, so we've been keeping him in either the inclined bassinet or rock n play at the doctor's suggestion until he cleared up. He also has Gerd, which we've got under control with some tweaking to his diet, routine and occassional meds. So we started working on getting him to sleep in the crib. He spits up all over himself EVERY time he wakes up in the crib. Never does it in the other beds, just the crib and we have it inclined as much as we safely can. He spits up enough that i have to take him out and clean him and sometimes even change his PJ's. Do your LO's spit up, or is it just mine? How do you handle getting them soothed back to sleep afterwards, because my bubs is angry when he wakes up like that.

Re: Spitting up while sleeping?

• Just wondering how long you keep him upright after feedings before he goes into the crib?

We keep LO upright for at least a half hour before laying her down and it's a pain in the middle of the night, but it definately seems to help. She also goes to the chiropractor which has made a huge difference.

When she does spit up, I don't make a big deal out of it. I just change her clothes and wipe her down. She used to have a meltdown when she spewed because I got upset, but now she smiles and talks.

Sometimes she wakes up screaming though and I pick her up and walk with her. I also put her on her side like she's going to breast feed and offer her a pacifier and that really helps soothe her.
  • We hold him up 20 minutes. We're back to the doc on Monday and hoping they can give some more insight. We don't have him on any meds, but I'm told they can be helpful for the reflux overnight.