June 2015 Moms
Options

Gagging from poopy diapers

I know this is crazy but it's really getting to me. Usually I have no issues with smells. the past two months my LO s poopy diapers make me gag. I'm on birth control pills so someone said the hormones (just started 2months ago) might be causing this. Anyone else experience this?

Re: Gagging from poopy diapers

• Options
    ^ I don't think it's dumb :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I gag ever since starting solids. I've always been very sensitive to smells and have a horrible gag reflex.
    @virginiaunicorn11 at my house it's the other way around. DH is constantly poking fun/slightly annoyed with me when I'm changing LO's poopy diaper. Lol
  • Options
    I used to gag and choke when I do diapers. I believe it was hormonal. Following pregnancy (not so much during) I had severe issues with smell. To the point where my coworkers at both jobs had to make accommodations for me or I would not have been able to work. Thankfully it went away as quickly as it arose. About a month ago. If its more than an inconvenience I'd look at switching birth controls. My sensitivity was not something I would have been able to live with long term
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DH has the strongest sense of smell of anyone that I've ever met! Yesterday he was lucky enough to still be home when LO woke up for the day. I was making breakfast and heard "Mom! Mom! Momma!" so of course I giggled and walked back to her room knowing full well that she blew out her overnight diaper. Apparently he needed help, so I took the dirty diaper and threw it away before calmly telling him I was busy making breakfast. I deal with these all the time, him maybe once a month-ish. He was gagging so hard from the smell and the fact it was almost up to her ears, he had tears streaming down his cheeks. I'm still giggling about it.
  • Options
    Y'all make me laugh. We stopped prunes because she blew out her diaper each day. Daycare thanked me.
  • Options
    Sammy K said:

I have to laugh because we also tried not to shame DS at all about poop or pee. Until potty training regression. At some point, you're going to have to teach them that peeing in the tub and then trying to drink the bath water is gross. Or that if they poop in their favorite underwear at school, they get thrown away because poop is stinky and unsanitary. But with LO we're still "Good one little girl!"

To get back on point, I have noticed poop gets worse with solids, illness, antibiotics, and teething. And food intolerances, but hopefully we're past that. The older they get, the more foul the smell gets, too.

The thought of drinking bath pee and poop in underwear makes me gag. I might be in trouble! Haha
  • Options
    Woof. I've been gagging a lot this last week or two from poop diapers. I was so nervous I was preggo again. Thankfully I'm not but it does make me wonder if the mini pill has anything to do with it. I just figured I'd used up all my good poop luck (that's a thing right?) And now they're just really stinky
  • Options
    I teach preschoolers with special needs and most of them are not potty trained so I have always been around poopy diapers and never had an issue like this.
    @Mommaswizz I went and bought a test tonight to make sure because I have been silently freaking out about that.
  • Options
    I rarely gag, at least, not for diapers yet. I've had some times at my work tho that have been spectacularly gag worthy, I'll spare you the details but animals can spew some really nasty stuff out of either end, and you just haven't been in the business long enough until you've had to wipe out a whole kennel where its all over the floor, every wall, and the top of the cage. Or gotten it in your hair.

But here's my tip - want to avoid gagging? Smile. Something about the expression suppresses the gag. Of course you're not really smiling because you're not happy, its more a toothy grimace, but plaster that fake-ass smile on and you'll still be nausous but not urk-urking.

You know what does make me gag? Like real bad? Like 'I almost threw up in my mouth a little bit' bad?

Boogers. For real. The other day DH was giving LO a bath in the tub and LO had a booger and DH hand-wiped it then submerged his hand. The idea of a booger somewhere in the bathwater almost made me puke.

I'm so screwed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    MixedCurlsXoMixedCurlsXo member
    edited January 2016
    My LO just started formula and oh my my the smell. The first time I changed him I got a whiff, had a mini panick attack, closed the diaper quick and started to gag. It's the rusty, rotten, iron smell that gets me. every. single. time.

To combat the disgustingness, I make sure I feed LO puréed fruit. Even if he's eating veggies I always have a little fruit on the side. It makes it smell sweet (kind of like breastmilk poop) & it masks the iron.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    ♥  ♥  Mommy-To-Be to Baby #1 ♥  ♥