Baby Names

Boy Names ?!

larianawlarianaw member
edited December 2015 in Baby Names

My husband and I had a 16 week scan done, and they told us we were expecting a little girl. We had a solid name picked no problem.

At my 20 week scan, they told us different! We are, in fact, expecting a boy, and have a few names in mind. However, I find actually being 100% about a boy name extremely difficult!

Here are the names we have in mind:

Cannon or Kannon

Liam

Uriah

I am open to thoughts, and suggestions!

Re: Boy Names ?!

• Just posted on other thread but

Love Urijah although I prefer it with a J

Liam is nice but trendy

Cannon and any variation is a trying to hard to appear cool name and really doesn't present well at all

• I would drop cannon, and it's variants.

Liam is nice, if common. Uriah is not bad.

Suggest
    Ezekiel
    Zane
    Zachary
    Amos
    Ira
    Zebulon
    Gideon
  • Loading the player...
  • What was your girl name?

Of the list, I pick Liam. It's trendy, but I hate Cannon. Naming your kid after artillery is weird to me. I know Uriah is legit, but all I hear is urine.

I love Ezekiel and Zachary that @Bringmemylongswordho suggested.
  • LiaM PLEASE
    all i hear is urine as well and cannon is awful

gabriel
    gideon
    august
    thomas
    jacob
  • larianaw said:

My husband and I had a 16 week scan done, and they told us we were expecting a little girl. We had a solid name picked no problem.

At my 20 week scan, they told us different! We are, in fact, expecting a boy, and have a few names in mind. However, I find actually being 100% about a boy name extremely difficult!

Here are the names we have in mind:

Cannon or Kannon

Liam

Uriah

I am open to thoughts, and suggestions!

QFP
  • I like Liam, I hate Cannon and I have never heard of Uriah. Suggestions:

Micah
    Connor (nms but similar to Cannon)
    Adam
    Cole
    Lucas
    Noah
    Isaiah
  • Update:

After a discussion with my husband last evening we still like Cannon... I know everyone isn't a fan, but we like it. We also came across Canaan, which is pronounced Kay-nan.

I also do love Liam, but I fear there will be 10 in the poor kid's graduating class with how popular it is right now.

Uriah is out of the mix.

• larianawlarianaw member
    edited December 2015

" What was your girl name?

Of the list, I pick Liam. It's trendy, but I hate Cannon. Naming your kid after artillery is weird to me. I know Uriah is legit, but all I hear is urine.

I love Ezekiel and Zachary that @Bringmemylongswordho suggested. "

For a girl, we were going to go with Vera. It was so easy for us to choose!

edited December 2015

I don't know if I'd go with Canaan. He's got a rough story in the bible: Canaan first appears as one of Noah's grandsons during the narrative known as the Curse of Ham, in which Canaan is cursed with perpetual slavery because his father Ham had "looked upon" the drunk and naked Noah.

That's a really good point.. That is definitely something to think about as well..
  • I would urge you to reconsider your affinity for Cannon. It just does not come across as a good name. Along with being a weapon, it is very trendy and has no history. What about Lance?
  • I am going to go against everyone else, and say that I like Cannon. But I grew up going to Cannon Beach, and know two little boys with this name (named after the beach), so I guess I just don't automatically think of a weapon. 
  • I am going to go against everyone else, and say that I like Cannon. But I grew up going to Cannon Beach, and know two little boys with this name (named after the beach), so I guess I just don't automatically think of a weapon. 
    Thank goodness someone likes it other than me. I was getting worried. haha...... I as well do not automatically think of the weapon.
    edited January 2016

Update:

Hoping I can soon stop being so indecisive with this..

Still like Cannon best, but I have thought of some others I have in mind now.

Liam

Patton

Benson

Silas

• Silas is excellent

Benson and Patton read as just a random surname trying to sound cool in the first name spot but are really just very Trendy. Plus I find random surnames when said with actual surnames just sound like practices or offices like as in a lawyers

• Liam or Silas are my picks.

We were back and forth with names for months. Don't feel rushed!
  • Just fyi- Benson was the name of an 80s tv show about a wise cracking black butler working for some wacky white family. Benson was the butler. So be prepared for that association by the 30+ crowd. Never heard of another Benson but maybe I don't get out enough.
  • ^^^ Also what I thought of.

Patton I think of General Patton.

I like Silas best, Liam was great until it got so popular.
  • Just fyi- Benson was the name of an 80s tv show about a wise cracking black butler working for some wacky white family. Benson was the butler. So be prepared for that association by the 30+ crowd. Never heard of another Benson but maybe I don't get out enough.
    I am in the 30+ crowd and have never heard of that show, but I did automatically think of Olivia Benson on Law & Order....

• Oh Olivia Benson that's a better Benson! although now that I think about it in both cases Benson was prob the last name.
  • If you like the sound of Canaan but want to get away from the story behind the biblical name, I know a little boy named Kainen. His parents have Irish background, and I guess the name is Irish?
  • If you like the sound of Canaan but want to get away from the story behind the biblical name, I know a little boy named Kainen. His parents have Irish background, and I guess the name is Irish?

Thank you so much for the suggestion! I love it, and will be bringing it up to my hubby for sure! :)