1st Trimester

First response tests getting lighter?

Agraf89Agraf89 member
edited December 2015 in 1st Trimester
Hi there!
I took a first response test last night 14dpo and got a positive test! I took another one this morning and this evening at 15dpo and my test line seems to be getting progressively lighter. Not sure if I am being paranoid or not. I called my RE this morning and he sent me for blood work, but those results won't be in until Monday because of the holiday weekend... And then he will probably send me to the lab a couple more times to compare my levels. I have had some minor cramps (feels kind of like AF), but no bleeding. I'm wondering if anyone else had had an experience like this? I guess I will hang tight until I get the blood results.

I'm suppose to go out of town on Tuesday for a few days .... And I hate not knowing :s
If this pregnancy is legit, it will be my first after trying for a year. Trying to remain hopeful!

Re: First response tests getting lighter?

• Also, I took two other tests along with that first positive test because I was in denial. Hahaha. I took a cheapie dollar store one, and a digital target brand one. Both positive
  • Once a test is outside the proper time window they should be thrown out because any changes will be inaccurate. As for the darkness of the line, I don't think they correlate to the amount of hcg in your system. They don't get any darker the longer you're pregnant. Anyway, a line is a line, so congrats!
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Loading the player...
  • The top and middle look basically the same to me. The bottom one I would attribute to urine dilution from whatever you ate or drank throughout the day. If it were me I would step awayyy from the pee sticks at this point- that paranoia is gonna cause you only harm. Truly there's nothing you can do differently at this point but wait to see what the blood work says and wait to see if the pregnancy is progressing. I've been there- the waiting does suck. But for now, youre KU! Congrat!
    Me: 29  DH: 31, married 6/21/14, TTC since 7/14
    BFP #1 EDD 7/17/15, MMC 1/9/15 @8w
    BFP #2 4/3/15= ectopic treated with methotrexate 5/1, YET ruptured 5/18/15= One Tube Wonder!
    2 Cycles of Femara, Ovidrel, & Progesterone= BFP #3 DS born 5/17/16
    TTC #2 March 2017 (initially med free) 
    BFP #4 8/14/17 *natural cycle* EDD= 4/25/18, MC @5-6w D&C 9/22/17
    BFP #5 12/29/17 w/ Femara/Ovidrel/Progesterone/Synthroid, EDD= 9/11/18 found out 1/18 ITS di/di TWINS!!!
    DS and DD born 8/21/18 
  • You are pregnant, I wouldn't keep looking at the lines after the test timing indicates. Also, posting pictures of pee sticks is against TOU. Please remove the photo, but not your original post.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Agraf89Agraf89 member
    edited December 2015
    Yeah, I need to get out of my head, step away from the pee tests, and just wait for my blood work. I will delete the picture.
  • My hpt's never really got dark. They always had a faint line, never as dark as the comparison line. All you can do issue tight until your blood work comes in. Good luck!
  • As pp have mentioned, step away from the pee sticks! I know it's hard to relax but there are plenty of reasons why the dye isn't the same shade each time; varying from the amount of dye in the actual test to using diluted urine (fmu is preferable). In any case, a line is a line and still means positive. Congrats! Deep breaths.

December Siggy Challenge

imageimageimage
  • groovylocksgroovylocks member
    edited December 2015
    The strength of the line has nothing to do with anything other than dye quantity. The tests are not sophisticated enough to measure AMOUNTS. They measure simply YES or NO. The presence of ANY second line, no matter how faint, is a yes. Congrats!

EDIT: So you're aware i'm speaking from experience, this information is taken directly from the manufacturer's website. 
  • I've heard that once your hcg levels get too high the test can't read them. I can't find it but there is a post (maybe a blog?),where a woman does tests with her hpts and she found that if she diluted her urine with water her test actually got darker since the hcg level was too high to read properly. Try doing that and update us :smile:
    DS1: 8/3/10, DD1: 8/17/13, DD2: 8/13/15
    Twins lost to due to partial molar pregnancy: September 2011 
    ~~PAL, PgAL Always Welcome~~
  • My best advice? Stop taking home tests until you can have your bloodwork done. You'll drive yourself completely crazy otherwise!! I know its easier said that done, though! Good luck!
  • Did OP ever post again?
  • Stop POAS

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Great info thanks!
  • cg0112358 said:

I've heard that once your hcg levels get too high the test can't read them. I can't find it but there is a post (maybe a blog?),where a woman does tests with her hpts and she found that if she diluted her urine with water her test actually got darker since the hcg level was too high to read properly. Try doing that and update us :smile:

This. It's called the "hook effect"

https://www.pregnancylab.net/2011/05/false-negative-pregnancy-tests.html

Pregnancy20ticker