Baby Showers

Must have items

So I've been looking at all the different items available for babies...and I am wondering what are the must have items and what are the "oh, that's cool but I probably won't use" items. What's on your must have list?

Re: Must have items

• edited November 2015
    Lorex video monitor

Swing (depends on kid)
    Ours didn't like the Mamaroo. Like fisher price. (Most important with multiple kids IMO)

Changing table

Arms reach co sleeper

Bouncy seat or rock n play

Rocking chair

Infant car seat & frame stroller

Britax single umbrella stroller for older

Swaddler aden + anais blankets or if you dont want to do it yourself summer infant

Bath tub. We use whale

City select double stroller for 2 kids

For bottle fed: burp rags, dr Browns, counter drying rack.

• Monitors may or may not be important depending on your home. I have a smaller home so I registered for an audio only monitor for when we're outside. Many of the new video monitors can be hacked externally.

Changing tables are useless. Baby will outgrow them within a few months. Better idea is a dresser that you can use for years and just put a changing pad on top. 

Crib - I bought a convertible crib, but there are hidden costs there. The rails to turn it into a full-size bed are another $150.

You definitely need a car seat if you have a car. Graco makes a 4-in-1 that goes from newborn to 8 years old converting all the way.

On the that's cool, but I won't use list - 
    The formula machine that's like a Keurig. 
    Diaper Warmer
    Mobile
    Anything other than sheets in the crib

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • Type of items I put on my registry:

bathtime wash/shampoo set
    boppy newborn lounger
    infant tub
    summer infant baby monitor
    bottle warmer
    infant starter bottle set (I plan to breastfeed and eventually use bottles sometimes)
    bottle sterilizer/dryer
    fisherprice spacesaver highchair
    bath towels/washcloths
    changing pad (I went with a portable changer instead of having a piece of furniture with a changer in it, figured I wouldn't use it as much)
    carseat fleece cover (baby born in Feb)
    travel system
    umbrella stroller
    baby carrier
    jumperoo
    pack n play
    a couple of infant toys
    play mat
    wipes warmer
    sound conditioner
    rock a roo (similar to a swing)

Every mom is different and based on your lifestyle as well. I started going off of the checklist my registry suggests but there are so many items on there that are unnecessary. To me, everything I received was essential for my family. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2015
    It's up to every family I guess with all must haves! We're older parents and our backs would kill us if we didn't have a changing table. We're still using it 18 mos later with the oldest and now we have 2 kids. We use baskets & it's a dresser as well. It's one of those things we didn't use with the first baby & got at 6 mos old. :)
  • cg0112358cg0112358 member
    edited December 2015
    Baby'smom said:

It's up to every family I guess with all must haves! We're older parents and our backs would kill us if we didn't have a changing table. We're still using it 18 mos later with the oldest and now we have 2 kids. We use baskets & it's a dresser as well. It's one of those things we didn't use with the first baby & got at 6 mos old. :)

Agree ^
    We bought our changing table over 5 years ago, it was used daily for almost 3 years with DS. He potty trained just a few weeks before DD1 was born and I use it daily with her now although she is working on PT now. DD2 was born 4 months ago so I expect to continue using it for the next 2-3 years. By the time DD2 PT it will have been used almost every day for 7-8 years.
    DS1: 8/3/10, DD1: 8/17/13, DD2: 8/13/15
    Twins lost to due to partial molar pregnancy: September 2011 
    ~~PAL, PgAL Always Welcome~~
  • Just a comment about change tables - if you're tall the standard ones are too short and killer on your low back (think about slightly bending with your butt slightly out). We use a taller dresser with a keekaroo peanut charger (one of my fav baby items) on top. It's the same idea as a change table just taller.
  • Just a comment about change tables - if you're tall the standard ones are too short and killer on your low back (think about slightly bending with your butt slightly out). We use a taller dresser with a keekaroo peanut charger (one of my fav baby items) on top. It's the same idea as a change table just taller.

I did the same thing, changing tables are too short for me!

LO is only 6 weeks, but so far we're a big fan of the Rock n Play sleeper (She loves to nap in it, and I know a lot of moms with reflux babies can't live without it) and the Boppy Lounge pillow. The Summer Infant Swaddle Me sleep sacks are great, although she's already starting to grow out of them. The Halo Swaddle sacks have more room to grow in them, and so far are harder to for her to Houdini out of.

Make sure your car seat fits in your car rear-facing if you get a convertible one. Babies R Us will let you test one out in the parking lot. We borrowed an infant carrier from a friend and got a convertible for when she's bigger.