April 2015 Moms
Options

When to introduce juice and how?!

My baby is a little over 7 months and is mostly breast fed with some baby food in the evenings and rice cereal... When and how do I introduce juice???

Re: When to introduce juice and how?!

• Options
    We started with our daughter last month to help with constipation. We give 4 ozs/day in a sippy cup with handles on the side designed for young babies. We dilute it so it's half water half apple juice. I offer it during afternoon snack and dinner and she absolutely loves it. It's also great for babies to teethe on because the handles are soft and rubbery!
  • Options
    I didnt do juice until later on.  I gave my son water in a sippy cup and put it on the highchair tray to give him a chance to play with it and learn about it. He would put it in his mouth a little.  It took a little while before he got used to it. But it develops over time. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    When- You can introduce juice now or anytime in the future however it's recommended that you wait until after his/her first birthday.

How- Like any new food. For example, applesauce and apple juice should be introduced separately. Offer it from a cup rather than a bottle. Offering it only with meals is best. Dilute the juice- one part juice to 10 parts water (or you can dilute it even more if you want). Limit baby's intake to no more than 3-4 ounces per day and keep limiting juice intake even after babyhood. Give them water if they are thirsty and you have already given them 3-4 ouces today. Give only 100% fruit juice and avoid sweetened or unpasturized juice.
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • Options
    Have you talked with your pediatrician about introducing juice? Juice is not receommended for babies under 1, and really never has to be introduced. My daugher drinks water from her Miracle 360 cup and is happy with that.
    I have made her a few smoothies and she loves to drink those with her straw cups.