June 2016 Moms

No desire to BF - sorry for the confusion!

I know I just posted this, but I used a username that I had originally signed up with accidentally and I didn't want it out there!  It's frustrating that there's no way of deleting your own posted!  Anyway...this is what I had posted and thanks to those who had responded or tried to!

I feel pretty selfish admitting this, but I have no desire to bf.  I know I still have several months to change the way I feel about it and I'm going to try it of course, but I just really hate my nipples being touched and the thought of breastfeeding just freaks me out.

I'm also going back to work 6 weeks after the baby is born and won't be able to pump or bf for most of the day.  I'm curious if there are any STM's on here who have bf and worked full-time?  I can't imagine being up every 2-3 hours every single night and then going to work all day.  At least with formula DH and I could switch off night time feedings.  What's everyones plan for bf or not, and for night time feedings??

Re: No desire to BF - sorry for the confusion!

• I returned to work when my 2 year old was 8 weeks old. I already had quite the stash of milk because I started pumping and bottlefeeding very early due to a medical issue. (LOOONNNNGGGG STORY). My employer gave me time and space to pump, which you should know is a legal requirement in the US. If you really want your baby to have breastmilk then do some research on exclusively pumping. It might work for you.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • ahernandez16ahernandez16 member
    edited January 2016
    I'm kind of in the same boat. I plan on trying exclusively while I'll be home the 6 weeks after baby is born, but I honestly don't and never have felt a strong urge to BF (that might change as pregnancy progresses). If I can, wonderful - we'll give it a shot. If I can't or baby can't or it doesn't work out that way, then we'll formula feed.

By law your employer has to give you both time and a place to pump at work, so that might work for you and if I end up loving BFing during those 6 weeks, I'll definitely try that. I guess I'm just trying not to have too many expectations going into this. As long as your baby is fed, that's what matters. I know a few people who formula fed from the hospital, never even tried BFing or couldn't for whatever reason and their kids are fine.

*edited for spelling*
  • With my first I was going back to work and I never tried breast feeding. He did great from day one on formula, not a single regret.

With my daughter I BF for 3 months, had every complication with it imaginable and honestly just didn't like it.

This time around I'm 90% sure I'll go directly to formula again. BF is great and wonderful, but so is feeding your baby and keeping yourself mentally stable :)
    Do what's right for you! Whatever that may be. Just be prepared to deal with everyone else's opinions... Not always fun or easy
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm a FTM but I just wanted to say PP's are all giving you wonderful advice! No one knows 100% what they are going to do until baby comes because none of us know how our baby will be! I think it's great that you're going to try but please don't stress yourself about making it work. IMO formula feeding is better than causing depression and anxiety (which then can make BF'ing even harder). Lots of babies are FF and they turn out great :)
  • We went directly to Formula with my DS.  I knew I wanted to go back on my anxiety meds right after delivering to help prevent post-partum depression.  Also, I work full-time and knew I didn't want to pump.  While I was pregnant, I felt so guilty knowing I wasn't going to breast feed that I hated to tell people (btw - people ask way too may "none of your business" questions when you're pregnant!!) but I knew this was the right decision for me.  I really feel like is such a personal decision. 
  • Another reason why I detest the US's maternity policy. I can't imagine going to back to work and also having to pump all day just to BF my baby. This shouldn't even be an issue for women - it's infuriating.

I'll be BF'ing - if everything goes as smoothly as it did last time. I have a year off so I don't need to worry about night feedings. I actually don't mind getting up and doing them - but that may not be how everyone feels. If on the weekends H wants to do a night feed, I'll just pump enough for him to give a bottle.

But, like everyone says, do what you want. I would personally give it a go - just to see if the nipple sensation issue maybe isn't so bad - and then decide from there. But to each their own :)

• @WSU2015 could you post that link? That's super interesting. I had no idea there was an employee limit, which would exclude my employer from being required by law.
  • I agree with others, do what feels right for you.  I would say to see how you feel when baby comes and don't say "yes" or "no" either way right now and set it in stone.  I'm a FTM so this is all new to me but I'm trying not to set anything in stone as far as what I intend to do since I have no clue what will feel the best or be the best for my situation.  

My thinking right now is that I am going to try to breast feed but will see what happens.  My grandmother, mom and my sister all could not really breast feed (the milk supply was either way too low or non-existent) but I'm still going to try and see what happens with me.  I've already been told I "can't" breast feed by others because of the issues the women in my family have had and that I "need" to supplement when my milk supply "doesn't come in"...it all goes in one ear and out the other.  My body is my body and I'll see what it wants to do when it wants to do it.  
  • I will give you my experience with my first.  I had no desire to breastfeed, but I felt I "needed" to.  I went to a breastfeeding class while pregnant and had a full on panic attack.  I felt that I would never be able to have time away, and it would just be days of stress.  I am also a teacher and would have to return to work after 9 weeks.  We have no pumping room, so I would have to use a closet in someone else's classroom.  This is something that I was not comfortable using.  Also, I spent many years and many fertility treatments to conceive my daughter, and I felt that this would make me resent her or not enjoy the time with her.  We formula fed from the beginning, and it was wonderful for us.  She has been very healthy (3+ and never had anything more than colds) and developmentally on par with or above her peers in some aspects.  It was the best decision for our family.

This time I am thinking of trying to breast feed at least some.  We will be paying almost 2K a month for daycare with too, and we need to cut corners somehow.  I will also have the ability to have a full 12 weeks before returning to work.  If it works great! If it doesn't great!

You need to do what is best for you and your family.  You will be feeding your child either way, and your sanity is the most important.  If you do decide to formula feed, I would make sure your nurses in L&D know from the start.  This will stop them from trying to push.  I also designated my husband as the one to handle any issues that arose with that.  A simple "as a family, we decided to formula feed" works great.

Good luck!
    TTC since Jan. 2010 DX Unexplained infertility
    3 IUI's w/Clomid & Ovidrel=all BFNs
    3 IVF (2 Fresh, 1 frozen) =BFN
    Jan 2012 New RE & Fresh Cycle =BFP!

TTC #2 October 2014
    Meet with RE March 2015
    2 Frozen & 1 Fresh IVF= BFNs
    September 2015 Frozen ET=BFP!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Here's what I posted on your previous thread:

Both of my girls were exclusively formula fed. I breastfed my oldest for about 2 weeks, but I had such awful post partum depression and she was losing so much weight that my husband and I decided to switch to formula. Before switching to formula, I never felt an actual bond with her. That first bottle I fed her I actual felt that maternal pang and realized what I had been missing out on. It was the best decision we ever made and she absolutely thrived. She's now 3 and an absolutely perfect little girl.

My second was formula from birth (she just turned 1 yesterday!) and this new baby will be as well. You have to do what's right for you AND your baby. Fed is best :)
  • @ahernandez16

Here is a link to a great FAQ page regarding current legislation. Below the link I pasted the two questions that specifically talk about small businesses and businesses with less that 50 employees.

https://www.dol.gov/whd/nursingmothers/faqBTNM.htm

What types of employers are covered by the law?
    ANSWER: All employers covered by the FLSA must comply with the break time for nursing mothers provision. As explained further below (see “Does the nursing mothers break time provision apply to small businesses?”), all such employers are subject to the FLSA break time requirement unless they have fewer than 50 employees and can demonstrate that compliance with the provision would impose an undue hardship.

Does the nursing mothers break time provision apply to small businesses?
    ANSWER: All employers covered by the FLSA, regardless of the size of their business, are required to comply with this provision. However, employers with fewer than 50 employees are not subject to the FLSA break time requirement if the employer can demonstrate that compliance with the provision would impose an undue hardship. Whether compliance would be an undue hardship is determined by looking at the difficulty or expense of compliance for a specific employer in comparison to the size, financial resources, nature, or structure of the employer’s business.

Also I would like to add that as part of my policy research I learned that no one is enforcing this law, at least in my community. So even moms whose employers are covered by this law are having to advocate for themselves and fight for the time and space to pump that they have a legal right to. This finding may be specific to my region, I live in Washington state.
  • @mkemommy - I always get frustrated when I hear about ladies not being encouraged or have support to BF.  These days there are all sorts of ways to boost supply.  Either way, there is no problem with supplementing.

jpocnj- The best advice I ever received about BFing was to , "Feed your baby."  Whether it's from a a bottle or breast, nutrition is always the goal.  BFing is great and I plan to do it again with this baby.  Once I set my routine, pumping wasn't a big deal.  Like so many other personal choices we face as mothers, I encourage you to be well-informed and comfortable with the decision you make for your family.  Mommy guilt is hard enough without being second guessed by family, well-intentioned friends, and strangers on the Internet.

BabyFruit Ticker

Special prayers for angels that we never met!
  • OP I have never had a desire to BF. With my daughter I knew in my second trimester I wasn't going to. Simply because....I don't want to. I wanted the help of nighttime feelings from DH, to be able to eat what I wanted and take anxiety meds if needed. I want my breasts to be be sexual to me and DH, and knew I wouldn't feel comfortable BF. I have never regretted my decision. DD took to formula right away and never had issues.

This baby will be exactly the same. The nurses after my first labor tried to get me to latch DD, But I stayed firm in my choice not to. Don't let anyone make you feel bad. I have never felt bad about not BF. I'm thankful for formula and how it's let me raise my kids.

DD1 born 11/2014

DD2 born 6/2016

• Feed your baby. However makes you the most comfortable. A fed baby and a non stressed mom is a good combination. Everyone has their own reasons for what they choose to do.

I BF my first for 15 months and it was rough at first, but he was a champion eater. He nursed around the clock and was an awful sleeper until 7 months. Then things were fine. With my second he gave up nursing at 7 months and we switched to formula with no problem. I felt zero guilt in switching. I plan to start with BF this one, but we will see how things go.

• DON'T FEEL GUILTY!

I'm a big BF supporter, but feeding your baby and keeping your baby healthy is what matters most. As long as you're doing that DON'T FEEL GUITLY!
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I'm in the same boat. I knew before getting pregnant that I never wanted to breastfeed. This child will be formula fed from day 1, and I see nothing wrong with that. Although I did find it annoying that at my first dr. Appointment the doctor asked if I planned to breastfeed and I said no and her response was "well, I highly recommend that you reconsider your decision". To which I said "oh I have and the answer is still no".
  • Thank you all for the support and suggestions!  I had never even really considered breastfeeding (and being baby clueless) I had no idea it was such a big deal until my sister had her first child about 3 years ago and suddenly I felt inundated with information about it.  
    She was an exclusive pumper, even though she's been a SAHM since her first child was born.  And now that I've started researching breastfeeding and pumping and looking at feeding schedules it just seems even more insanely daunting to be an exclusive pumper!  Like, you have to get up in the middle of the night and prep a bottle of bm, then you have to feed and change baby and get her back to sleep AND THEN you have to pump to make up for what the baby just ate.  I just can't wrap my head around the thought of that. 
  • I was an exclusive pumper from when DS was 3 weeks old until he was 9 months old. I beat myself up for months about not being able to get a good, comfortable latch and not having a good supply. This time around, we're going to try BFing again, but I won't get frustrated if we have to supplement with formula. If I end up exclusively pumping again, I won't be doing it as often (every 3 hours for months, ugh) and will supplement what is needed with formula. And I won't regret it at all. Fed baby is best. :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP #1: 10/25/13. EDD: 06/18/14. Confirmed MC: 11/06/13.

BFP #2: 3/31/14. EDD: 12/2/14 Born: 12/9/14

BFP #3: 10/5/15 EDD: 6/10/16 Born: 6/13/16

BFP #4: 8/20/15 EDD: 4/26/18
  • I think you've gotten great advice.  I think FFing is perfectly fine.  I will just pass along (with no guilt if you don't want to, seriously) that I had several doctors tell me that the medical benefits of breastfeeding are in the first 6 weeks.  Past that there are other types of benefits.  Again, not BFing at all is fine.  This makes me want to get to 6 weeks, personally.  Last time BFing was incredibly difficult for me and my daughter and I fought for 12 weeks then went to formula.  I, personally, hope to do it smoother this time, but if it is a challenge again and I am miserable, I have zero guilt switching.  And I think you should have zero guilt choosing to FF from day one.  

I only mention the 6 weeks thing because I was inundated last time with many pro-BFing people telling me how the benefits are NEEDED for much longer.  It adds to the guilt and I am not a fan of that.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • The great thing about today's world is there is a safe, healthy, and available alternative to breast milk. If you don't want to breastfeed, do what is right for your family.
    But, I will say (and as you mentioned), pumping is insane. You essentially feed the baby twice (once to pump, once to actually feed). Moms who exclusively pump are my hero. But honestly I'm not sure it's something I could ever do. It's incredibly frustrating (of was for me) to pump and not get as much as I wanted/expected. Gah. Bad memories.
  • With my first I BFd for 3 months. I liked the connection with LO but didn't like breastfeeding. I struggled to produce anything even though it was if she was latched on all day. I could only pump up to 2oz at a time. I did not breastfeed at all with DS. My kids were 18 months apart. I was off for 6 weeks and teaching middle school an hour away from home. I don't think I will BF with this baby either. DH works nights and is home with kids during the day when they're not at school. I teach 4th grade special Ed now and I honestly have no free time during the day at work to pump. Some may think those are just a bunch of lame excuses but to me they aren't. You really have to do what is right for your family. Don't be ashamed to admit it.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • jpocnj said:

Thank you all for the support and suggestions!  I had never even really considered breastfeeding (and being baby clueless) I had no idea it was such a big deal until my sister had her first child about 3 years ago and suddenly I felt inundated with information about it.  
    She was an exclusive pumper, even though she's been a SAHM since her first child was born.  And now that I've started researching breastfeeding and pumping and looking at feeding schedules it just seems even more insanely daunting to be an exclusive pumper!  Like, you have to get up in the middle of the night and prep a bottle of bm, then you have to feed and change baby and get her back to sleep AND THEN you have to pump to make up for what the baby just ate.  I just can't wrap my head around the thought of that. 

I 100% support everyone in every decision they make to feed their baby. I do want to say though, you sound a little intimidated by the demand. I'll tell you, pumping is really hard! What you just said is really true, motn feedings require pumping to keep up with the supply the baby is demanding. However, you always have the option of supplementing with formula at night or training your body to think you need more at pump times during the day. If you dropped a motn feeding, you would stop making so much milk at that time. Like when my son started sleeping for 6-8 hours, I didn't wake up and pump...my body just adjusted to his schedule.

So I'm just trying to say that you don't need to pump/breastfeed in the middle of the night if you don't want to and can still have a productive & successful pumping/bf relationship during the day.
  • I worked f/t & exclusively BF both my kids.  With my first I went back to work @ 12 weeks, and pumped at work until she was 13 months.  With DS I went back at 10 weeks (but started taking classes for a career change when he was 3 weeks old), and pumped until he was about 7 or 8 months when he started absolutely refusing milk in a bottle or cup - only straight from the tap.  So I nursed him when I was home, he ate solids & drank water while I was at work and I ditched the pump (hallelujah!!).  FWIW, with my brother, my mom nursed him when she was at home & he got formula when she was at work - she could never figure out the pump. 

My point is, figure out what you want to do and if you're up for it, give BF a shot.  I don't think working is a reason to not try at all - it's a factor, but not the only one.  Ultimately, though, we make plans and then life happens, so don't beat yourself up or feel like you have to make any major decision/commitment now.
  • As long as your baby is being fed, there is no right or wrong decision here. Do whatever works for you! I attempted to bf my dd but I had to use a shield from the beginning to get a latch. That led to mastitis a week after she was born and I ended up exclusively pumping for 6 months after that. At 6 months I had enough milked stored in the freezer to get her through to a year on half bm and half formula. Exclusive pumping is definitely hard, especially if you work full time but it can be done. I'm going to try and bf again this time, hopefully without the shield. 
    January Siggy Challenge: Why I don't shop at Walmart 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• I partial pumped and supplemented with formula with my twins. Born at 33 weeks and 3 lbs they were too small to latch for several weeks. By the time we were able to try feeding we all hated it. They were frustrated by the effort required, and I hated the cold wet slobbery feeling. With this baby I plan to use the same routine of pumping and formula, it worked great for us! I can pick and chose the times and places I want to pump and carry a can of formula around with me for convenience where ever we go!
  • Every woman and every situation is different- do what works for you.

I do plan to BF but plan on my husband giving the baby a bottle of formula every night so that I can miss one feeding. My mom said it was the smartest thing she ever did because of bonding with my dad, her sleep (& sanity!), and being able to transition me easily when she stopped BF'ing.

As a FTM I don't have any experience- but will say not to feel guilty. A fed baby is a healthy baby whether they get BM or formula.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • I don't plan on BF or pumping. Formula works best for me. Mostly due to medical reasons. I have not discussed fully with my doctor yet but all my meds where changed or stopped when we found out I was pregnant so I would just assume they would be no-nos for my milk too. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Bear14+ I'm absolutely intimidated by the demand! Its the only thing that's actually made me feel overwhelmed when thinking about caring for my new LO.
    I didn't know you were able to train your body into producing more during the day and less at night.  I was under the impression that if you didn't pump fairly consistently that your supply would severly drop, or can you only train yourself once your supply is well established?
  • I BF my DD for 7 months and struggled with supply for most of that time and had to start supplementing around 4 weeks. I stayed at home and I'm not disappointed that I did it, but it was frustrating.
    This time I really want to try again, but I currently on antidepressants that I can't BF on so I would need to get off of them before baby is born and I just have to weigh what is more important to me--which is a conversation I will have as we get closer to it with my husband and Doctor. And if I have to FF from the beginning this time, that's ok.
    Everyone should do what is best for them and their family.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers 
  • little_brenlittle_bren member
    edited January 2016
    I did not BF and will FF this time also due to meds but TBH, I was glad to have an 'excuse' not to because I had and still have no desire to BF. Sometimes, I feel less maternal because of it but it's just unappealing to me. If I ever BF in the future, it'd be until one year then I'd be done (if LO continued to a year, of course). So, OP, You're not the only one. Glad to hear I'm not either. <3

Edited to fix typo

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
    Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• jpocnj- Supply is different for every person.  Generally, your supply regulates once you get into a routine (2-3 weeks).  If your body has adjusted to not doing night feedings, then your supply should  remain at that level.  I've known moms that nursed once in the morning and once at night.  All other feedings were formula.  Plus, no pumping.  

BabyFruit Ticker

Special prayers for angels that we never met!
  • You do not need to justify your decision to anyone. Especially not here.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • PressLove said:
    jpocnj- Supply is different for every person.  Generally, your supply regulates once you get into a routine (2-3 weeks).  If your body has adjusted to not doing night feedings, then your supply should  remain at that level.  I've known moms that nursed once in the morning and once at night.  All other feedings were formula.  Plus, no pumping.  

This exactly.  From my same two boobs, I nursed RAVENOUS newborn DS, who was massive and gained like gangbusters, DS when he refused to take milk from a bottle, so I didn't nurse/pump for about 10 hours each day, and then nursed him A LOT, petite DD who nursed like a normal baby and both of them as toddlers when it was just a couple times a day, and not their main source of nutrition.  The first few weeks, those milky wonders will leak like the trevi fountain, but then things really do settle out and adjust to your routine.
  • I felt the same exact way with my first pregnancy. However, once my daughter was born, all those feeling changed and I ended up breastfeeding for about 11 months (last 2 months supplementing with formula). It was a good experience for me but pumping at work is really really hard. Plus I hated the pressure from society to breastfeed, made it really stressful. This time I'm having twins and going into it assuming I will be supplementing with formula from the beginning.

You need to do what works for you. Give it a try when the baby comes but don't feel pressured either way. It's hard enough having a baby without the whole breastmilk/formula stress.

• I'm a FTM so don't have any wisdom to offer except that my husband and I were both 100% formula fed from birth, and we turned out great (if I do say so myself!). :smiley: I've also had friends who were terrified/grossed out/otherwise opposed to BF before baby came who tried it a couple times and totally loved it. I say you figure out what works for you as you go.
  • Statistics show that all Ivy-League school students were breastfed. NOT. ;) I LOVE breastfeeding. I thought it was weird before I did it for the first time. I also supplemented with formula after 4 months... And I felt weird doing that for the first time too. My friend swore up and down that she would NEVER breastfeed because it was strange and she couldn't imagine someone sucking on her nipples because to her, breasts/nipples were in a "sexual" mind box--not a "nurturing your baby" mind box. Anyway, she ended up loving it just like me and breastfed LONGER than me. So---you just never really know how you might feel until you try something. That being said-I am a BIG supporter of moms-especially first time moms hearing that you just need to do what YOU think is best for YOUR baby based on YOUR feelings, circumstances, research, time, stress, significant other's opinion, etc etc. etc. A stressed out "trying to do something that feels unnatural" mom is the worst kind of mom! the worst.
  • Oh, how I wish someone would have said all of this to me when I was pregnant with my DD.

Do not feel guilty. Never, never, never.

I didn't really want to breastfeed, but I decided I was going to anyway. It's hard to escape the "breast is best" extremist, and I felt a lot of peer pressure that convinced me I wouldn't be a good mother if I didn't at least try. So I did try... for 4 days.

My DD wouldn't latch properly because I have "flat nipples." Nipple shields came straight from hell. My milk never came in on one side. DD would scream and cry while we tried to breastfeed, and then would become perfectly content when we supplemented with formula. At one point I decided I would just pump exclusively... which resulted in me throwing pump parts across my living room, and my husband at the store buying formula.

We never looked back. Formula was by far the best decision we made for our family. It's different for everyone (I know plenty of people who love breastfeeding), and you won't truly know until your baby gets here. Breastfeeding just wasn't for me.

That being said - I have toyed with the idea of trying to breastfeed this baby. Maybe I'm just more comfortable as a mother now, but I feel more confident in at least attempting to try. We shall see!